Uneven Sidewalls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
Wonder if anyone can help with a bit of advice on how best to deal with uneven sidewalls? I appear to have inherited some 'Dropped' ones from my mum and it makes it very hard to tip or sculpt them and produce an even appearance. The curve on some of them literally goes round the bend! :irked:

I really don't know how to compensate for this when doing my nails <or my mum's> and it can make smile lines and the overall form of them look wonky. The sidewall on one side of the nail is where it should be, whilst the other is set much farther down on the finger, almost as though I don't really have one. :confused:

I know we all have our crosses to bear with our nails ie fans and hooks, so I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who has managed to successfully circumvent this problem. The uninitiated wouldn't notice until I pointed it out, but my critical eye despairs of them! :irked:

Wonder if anyone can help with a bit of advice on how best to deal with uneven sidewalls? I appear to have inherited some 'Dropped' ones from my mum and it makes it very hard to tip or sculpt them and produce an even appearance. The curve on some of them literally goes round the bend! :irked:

I really don't know how to compensate for this when doing my nails <or my mum's> and it can make smile lines and the overall form of them look wonky. The sidewall on one side of the nail is where it should be, whilst the other is set much farther down on the finger, almost as though I don't really have one. :confused:

I know we all have our crosses to bear with our nails ie fans and hooks, so I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone who has managed to successfully circumvent this problem. The uninitiated wouldn't notice until I pointed it out, but my critical eye despairs of them! :irked:

Just place your smile line where you want it to go. It really makes no difference where your side walls begin or end. It is the look of end result that counts.

Thanks geeg and I do. I daresay the answer is to just live with it, but I was wondering if there was anything remotely 'Corrective' I could do. If I put a tip on them <or a form>, the centre isn't the centre because it has to go literally round the bend. They end up looking askew.

Maybe I should treat the lack of sidewall as though it doesn't exist, but it looks a bit peculiar. :|

deena, could you use a full well tip perhaps? and use some curved sissors to tailor the 'good' side of well away and leave the full well down one side creating you a new side wall ?

deena, could you use a full well tip perhaps? and use some curved sissors to tailor the 'good' side of well away and leave the full well down one side creating you a new side wall ?
y

Thanks Clara and I think I can see what you mean. :hug: Would you leave the dropped side alone and not bother to carry the smile line round the coner? Either way, it looks a bit bizarre. :eek:

ok after I'd placed the tip on I'd place my white just where I wanted, then use an opaque pink to 'hide' the tip/new side wall , the opaque would also be masking your natural missing side wall and your canvas is your tip for placing the new product onto xx

Thanks ever so Clara, that sounds pretty good. :) :hug: Would you ever sculpt this sort of nail and, if so, how would you deal with that?

Thanks ever so Clara, that sounds pretty good. :) :hug: Would you ever sculpt this sort of nail and, if so, how would you deal with that?

you know what no I don't think I would, with a nail like this is would be EASIER to use a tip to produce a 'nail makeover' xx

Thanks very much, really appreciate your help :) xx

I had problem sidewalls on my index fingers, and could never tip sufficiently for me. I just used to put the tip up as far as to cover the shortest sidewall and overlay from there. Never ideal I know.

However, since using shellac and growing my own nails, the problems gone :D

Hi, yes, I grew my nails really well with shellac. :) It was great, so easy, but the lure of the artistic side of l&p enhancements called me home.

I may well get shot down for this, but I simply found it boring after a while. I love trying out new things and l&p is the way to go for me.

Both my middle fingers and ring fingers are afflicted by no appreciable sidewalls and it's both frustrating and a challenge to learn how to create a better shape for them. I never use full well tips, but I'm definitely going to give them a go now. :)

I had problem sidewalls on my index fingers, and could never tip sufficiently for me. I just used to put the tip up as far as to cover the shortest sidewall and overlay from there. Never ideal I know.

However, since using shellac and growing my own nails, the problems gone :D

I thought I'd miss the l&p artistic side, but theres not much you can't do with shellac either.

plus the bonus of finally for the first time in my life, of having my own nails far outweighs having l&p for me :D

I thought I'd miss the l&p artistic side, but theres not much you can't do with shellac either.

plus the bonus of finally for the first time in my life, of having my own nails far outweighs having l&p for me :D

I'm with you on that one. I've never worn nail art .. Not for me at all. And having my own nails after 25 years Of wearing nails (and I've had my own nails with Shellac now for almost 2 years) I love the freedom ... No longer a slave to enhancements! :green:

Latest posts

Back