UV Gel - how many coats

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Another thread got me to thinking......

I always end up with my product way too thick and filing tonnes off. I'm always afraid I won't get that apex right etc... So I'm a bit heavy handed with my gel... therefor wasting TONNES.. wasting product and time with all the filing I have to do afterward.
I find this is only true with my sculpts and not with a refill.

I "think" maybe, the forms are throwing me off? I have a harder time judging the thickness?
Because, I never had this problem with tips.

When you apply your UV Gel to do sculpts.... how do you apply it?
How many layers of each product do you use?
What is your 'routine' for a new sculpt?

Thanks in advance!!

I used to have the same problem with sculpting. Because of the form I could never really tell how much gel I had on there. So now what I do is remove the form after curing the first layer of gel, then continue in the usual way.

1. prep nail
2. apply forms
3. base gel (a little thicker than usual)....cure
4. french gel....cure
5. buider gel....cure
6. shape and clean
7. finish gloss

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Anyone else?

When I apply the gel on the form I look down the barrel of the nail and I can see how thick it is. However, sometimes if I think it is still a little thin when it is cured I may just take the clear builder gel over all 3 zones, rather than just zones 2 & 3. Remember the bulk of you gel should be in zone 2, so don't apply more gel on the forms than you would in zone 2 and 3 ... well that's what works for me!

I do
bonder layer
pink on bed
white at FE
layer of clear (if I need to adjust the apex I will do it here)
gloss

I also tend to build up the nails more when i sculpt i think it is because the tips have that nice lower arch (not really a lower arch, but the arch you see from the side) that you can't create with forms, so to have about the same apearance it has to be a bit thicker on the apex, but it can make the nail look bulky sometimes. That's why you shouldn't sculpt nails too long.
I found that what helps me is to ensure a good form fit, assuring it is fit snugly under the finger and that it isn't pointing upwards at all, and preferably that it is pointing slightly downwards. Hope i made sense...

Yes, you made sense :wink2: I understood what you meant. :green:
Yup, the apex was giving me trouble too. Kept/keep getting dips there. Since I only recently started using white builder to do my french's instead of white tips or pow... not used to that either.

Thanks everyone..
I'll do as suggested and remove the form after the first layer (of clear) so I can see where I'm at. This should speed up my sculpts, not having so many layers, and not having as much to file off. :lol:
Dont know why I kept adding more :rolleyes: it just looked so different on the forms, know what I mean?

Thanks again
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Latest posts

Back