Uv Lamp Help Please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshmammy

Reaction score
I started a thread about a week ago, but sadly got no replies. I am IBD acrylic trained, perfectly hapy with their system accept for the acrylic top coat sealer. After 2 or 3 uses it goes gloopy and can not be used again. I am not trained in Gel, but I was thinking about putting a UV gel topcoat sealer on top of my acrylics. My understanding of these top coats is they need to be cured with a UV lamp. So here is my question, Can I get away with a cheap UV lamp as I will only be curing topcoat, or do I have to fork out over a hundred pounds for an IBD lamp. Considering it will only have limited use, it doesn't seem to be very cost effective for me. Also second question, what is the best wattage lamp to look for?

I started a thread about a week ago, but sadly got no replies. I am IBD acrylic trained, perfectly hapy with their system accept for the acrylic top coat sealer. After 2 or 3 uses it goes gloopy and can not be used again. I am not trained in Gel, but I was thinking about putting a UV gel topcoat sealer on top of my acrylics. My understanding of these top coats is they need to be cured with a UV lamp. So here is my question, Can I get away with a cheap UV lamp as I will only be curing topcoat, or do I have to fork out over a hundred pounds for an IBD lamp. Considering it will only have limited use, it doesn't seem to be very cost effective for me. Also second question, what is the best wattage lamp to look for?
As you havent mentioned which sealer..am guessing its intense seal? I have never had any probs with it going "gloopy", not too sure what you mean??
When my bulbs have gone, in the past, a cheapy backup UV lamp has worked just fine..brisa lamp,too, as well as my IBD lamp ( i have a few:lol:) Obviously you should use the systems lamp for optimum cure..but in all honesty for the sealant..they all give the same result..defo wouldnt risk my full on gel clients though!

I am talking about IBD Acrylic Bright (topcoat sealer with optical brighteners). It turns into a gloopy mess after a few uses, that is why I was looking to use one of the gel sealers on top of my IBD l&p application. My main concern is to use one of the gel sealers, would I need to buy an expensive uv lamp, I am hoping I won't have to, it will only be used for curing the sealer, I don't do gel application.

I'm pretty sure that a standard 9w curing lamp will do the job just fine.

Just a thought, the bottle hasn't been near the uv lamp (or a window) with the lid off has it cos that would make it go gloopy as it partially cures

No the bottle hasn't been near a window, I do not have a uv lamp. It happens everytime I buy a new bottle and its not cheap. I am always really careful about storage of my stock. Thanks for the info about the lamp, I'm really pleased I don't have purchase a really expensive IBD lamp, I have my eye on a The Edge lamp, not too cheap not to expensive, I am going to try Intense Seal, see how I go with that.:)

Latest posts

Back