UV topcoat cracking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaytee88

Reaction score
Good Evening all.

I have recently purchased some uv top coat, used it last night on mine and mums nails but today they have cracked.

I've read on here that you aren't supposed to use it over a polish but I always had it over my polish when I paid to get my nails done in a shop.

Is there one that's particularly good when using over polish that I should get?

Also just want to add whilst I appreciate it takes hours for polish to dry, I did wait 30mins which I never waited this long when I had nails done in a shop.

X

Hello star nails quatro i think my old salon used to use i never put it over top of polish, i had this problem over top of gel with one i purchased , just think some top coats are rubbish to say the least lol

As far as I know it's very finicky to actually put uv top coat over polish. Some people say that it works after letting the polish dry for at least 45 minutes and some have said it doesn't work at all.. I've never done it because I don't like polish. I know..it's weird. I just don't. Love Gelish but don't love polish. lol.

I do know that if you put a hard gel UV top coat over a soft gel it will crack. That's about all the advice I can give. I'm sure someone else will jump in.

It could be that your top gel is a hard gel top coat and you are putting it over soft polish. Some gel top coats are meant to be put over enhancements (hard gel top coats) and will crack if you put it over something soft (polish or sog). You may just need to get a uv top coat meant to go over polish only

Good Evening all.

I have recently purchased some uv top coat, used it last night on mine and mums nails but today they have cracked.

I've read on here that you aren't supposed to use it over a polish but I always had it over my polish when I paid to get my nails done in a shop.

Is there one that's particularly good when using over polish that I should get?

Also just want to add whilst I appreciate it takes hours for polish to dry, I did wait 30mins which I never waited this long when I had nails done in a shop.

X

Seche vite ultra v is made to go over regular polish hth x

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Seche vite ultra v is made to go over regular polish hth x

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Just to jump in on this quickly. Before purchasing this, I would check out the reviews. They don't seem very positive about the durability and a lot of people say it's not very shiny. Not trying to shoot down your advice just wanted to let you all know about the bad reviews.

Thanks everyone.

I'm just learning where to get my products from at the moment... Sally's and capital is all I know at the moment.

Oh and ellissons ... Anyone else recommend?

I'm sure my old nail bar used a brand called star?

Yes I think it might be!!! Thanks loupoppy ill give it a go.

Sorry to be a pain but could anybody recommend a mid priced good gel as at the moment I'm using Sally's own?

Thanks
Xx

Could I just ask why you are trying to use a uv topcoat with a normal polish?
(I take it you mean Uv as in cured with a uv light or led light as opposed to one that glows in uv light?)
Why dont you think about investing in a total system as that is how they are designed to work. and what your insurance covers you for most of the time.... Apologies if I have go the wrong end of the stick.

Latest posts

Back