Ventilation and Extraction

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
geeg said:
I do not see the necessity for mobile technicians to have extraction ventilation. They would not be working in unsafe limits and neither are they static in one place all day long.

Thanks Geeg, I thought that was probably the case with being mobile but Clare's post did get me thinking! Like I say I do try my best to work safely and minimise vapour, so hopefully I'm doing enough!

When I typed significant, thats because thats a little high for a 1 person salon, however its still well below accepted safe levels.

Safe exposure levels generally fall between 50ppm to 100ppm (where 50 is very conservative and actually based on using MMA as a surrogate for EMA).

The average salon is between 4ppm to 10ppm and in severe situations can go beyond 15ppm. Obviously the salons with no ventilation, extraction, and lots of techs not following good practises are going upward of 15ppm. The higher the ppms, their more its going to stink. Saying that, the salon will 'stink' when you are at 0.75ppm (still up to 100 times below safe levels).

Its good practise to limit your vapour exposure (if only more from a nuisance issue than a serious health concern). That isn't to say that it is impossible to become 'overexposed' to the vapour, just like it isn't impossible to get hit by lightning twice. Impossible? No. Improbable? More so :) Be safe and follow good working practise, use adequate ventilation and extraction and finally, don't walk around during thunderstorms with lightening rods :D

Someone also mentioned independent studies on things like this (don't recall if it was this thread or another). This has been done several times. The most recent CIR (Cosmetic Ingredient Review) study declared that EMA was safer than their own previous studies had determined when used as directed.
Another study was done here in the UK, I just got off the phone with the gentleman that conducted it. He is now looking into getting authorisation to publish the study to the public domain.

Hope this clears the air a little :D

Sam - thank you. I know that these current threads were absolutely not meant to scare or worry people, just a little clarification so we know 100% how we can improve our working conditions and work safely.

Simply - we love our work. We do not want to have to worry that we are working unsafely and come here to seek advice and guidance.

I look forward to seeing this document Sam and thank you again for taking the time to help us!

I work under a flat and there isn't a lot of insulation between their ceiling and my salon so extraction also has a bearing on nuisance factor for me as well as everything else.

Hiya

I ordered a Purex nail station and only managed to get to use it today - it is absolutely excellent, the filing dust really IS sucked up into the lamp!! I think it's a great way to help with health issues as I really suffer with coughing since I started doing nails.

I am really impressed with it, and think it is a bargain considering some of the prices for the REM desks and others... which don't even come with Air filters.

Anyone else find these excellent?

Latest posts

Back