Very damaged natural nails - acrylics wanted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodiewood

Reaction score
In the salon yday a lady was booked in for a soak off (more of a half a soak off as she had lost lots)
Her acrylics were very long, like as long as a tip when you first apply it and the French was right down to the free edge in big points so she had like a v shaped 'smile line' (I realised why it covered most of her nail bed when her natural nails were uncovered)
She didn't have the nails done by me but was planning to come to me next week for a full set. One of the other girls was doing the soak off as I was doing a shellac, but it went to take over at the end as she was there almost two hours!
She had onycholysis on the ring finger covering most of the bed, the middle finger had a tight red cuticle area and skin surrounding the nail, one had broken off really far from the free edge, leaving a very rough surface that looked like it was attempting to grow out, one had a bright red spot in the middle (looked like it had been filed too far through the nail plate and was just very very thin nail left) and the rest were just awful looking and thin. I asked if she uses oil and she says no nothing as most things make her skin irritated (she pointed to some spots on the tops of her hands and said this is my cleaning hand, so really I don't think she's allergic to cuticle oil she was just making excuses and possibly blaming bleach?! Well use gloves!!!!) I then said "I think it will be good for you nails to have a break and using solar oil would really benefit them, it's essential you use it wearing acrylics and especially because your natural nails are quite damaged" to which she replied "oh no I can't go without nails on, I'll need them back on in a couple of days"
So I just didn't say anything. Then after we had finished I took her to the till and said £15 please and she just glared at me saying with an attitude "I was told it would be £10" so I said "usually yes but because of the time it took..." My boss wasn't there for me to refer to so I just said ok fine if you've been told it's £10 then pay £10, she passed me the money and said "I've never known it to take that long" and walked out in a huff. She was also pissed off because she didn't get an eyebrow wax which she had asked for earlier on the phone but was only asking if we could fit her in she had already booked the soak off but she was told we are fully booked but will see what we can do. So, I doubt she will book in for the full set now after that yday but if she did, what would you say as to why you won't be applying the full set? I'm assuming no one would on the state of her natural nails? I've told my boss to say there's too much damage and I would not be happy doing it until she's used solar oil daily for at least 6 weeks and I can then take a look at them to see if they've improved

She really shouldn't get anything on them, so you're right. Best you can do is say your professional opinion is the current state they're in are too weak to support another set. She'll most likely end up with lifting. And no matter what's done to her nails that day, still advise her to use cuticle oil. If she still wants a set, keep them as short as possible. Write everything down on her consultation form/record card and have her sign it to acknowledge she was advised against a new set and given aftercare advice, and anything she's added to the dialogue (like not using gloves or cuticle oil). Don't put too much mind to someone like her. She doesn't follow aftercare and uses excuses. The consultation will save you because if she does come back trying to blame you and wanting a refund, it's all documented with her signature. But most likely, she'll just go somewhere else because she's already getting the feeling you guys don't want to do it.

Despite what I've said to my boss she has booked her in for a full set in under 2 weeks! I don't want to do them, her attitude stinks, she's already tried to blame the girl that soaked them off for how sore they are underneath!!!!!!! When it is completely nothing to do with what we done in our salon and her nails are completely wrecked, I just don't feel comfortable whatsoever doing them. And I know she will want them so long aswell. I've messaged my boss telling her my views that im not prepared to take her on as a client any time soon and now waiting to hear back from her. I'm so stressed out, stuff like that just makes me want to quit the salon and be my own boss! Would everyone else do/think the same as me?

I've faced that problem many a times. That's why I work for myself now. :lol: It's tough because your boss is only concerned with money being made. Very short-sighted because there will be problems that are totally not your fault, and this lady will most likely return to complain, make you all feel bad, and demand a refund or freebie and your boss will most likely comply with her demands to avoid being bad-mouthed. When I had to face this, I just did what I advised in my earlier post. First I set them right by saying the pain is not due to the removal process, but the application process done at wherever they got it done. The client will most likely say she's never had this problem before. I then continue to explain that due to the current state of her nails, getting a new set will most likely not last very long and suggest an alternative treatment. She will most likely turn that idea down because her nails are very thin and it causes her pain. I would then suggest an overlay versus an extension. Best to keep them as short as possible. SHe may or may not agree. I document it all down on the client record card and have her look over and sign it to confirm I've not made up any part of it, and carry out the service. Usually, having seen that the consultation was document is enough to turn them off trying to complain for a freebie or refund. Sometimes it's not, and it's up to your boss to either back you up, or fold and give into the client's demand.

Whatever your boss decides, don't let it bum you out if it goes against you. Just know as a professional, you knew what you were talking about. Some people, like horses, you can drag them to water but you can't make em drink it.

Latest posts

Back