Vinylux and Shellac top coat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgieanne

Reaction score
Hi All, just read an old 2013 post regarding the above title, I will be trying tomorrow and do not see why It would not work but....

Does anyone use Vinylux colour polishes and then does a shellac top coat layer over the top to get a longer lasting and shine effect?

Im just thinking this would work as If you use a standard nail polish such as O.P.I and then when completely dry put over a shellac top coat it does last longer than the standard polish would, So i am guessing it will work the same for vinylux? but the members on the old post did not think so with mixing systems etc

I think you will suffer excessive chipping, the Shellac top coat is designed to adhere to the dispersion layer of the colour coat, there is no sticky layer on the Vinylux. Two smooth surfaces will not bind very well - you can give it a go but I certainly wouldn't be trying on a paying customer :twisted:

If you're just doing it to make the Vinylux last longer... Wouldn't you be best just using shellac? :/

You can encapsulate vinylux inside shellac as you would a glitter or a foil, but I wouldn't recommend just a few coats of vinylux finished with shellac. It's a bit like using brisa gloss over shellac - it doesn't have the strength needed to give the gel a proper foundation.

Thank you for your replies,

I wondered as I've used O.P.I polish before when my mum has wanted a specific colour and then Shellac top coated them and they have lasted few days less than Shellac so did wonder, As I've stocked up on some Vinylux colours as prefer the selection to the O.P.I

Latest posts

Back