Vinylux going lumpy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, I have never heard of throwing polish away after half a bottle. If we are getting to the last quarter, I would expect it to be thicker but certainly not before.

Also what about the retail side? My clients cannot polish as quickly as I can and probably wont know to keep the neck of the bottle clean. The retail price is too high if you need to discard it after half it's use and don't forget they need the top coat too, which also thickens half way down. For that price they can get 5 bottles and a quick dry topcoat in the drugstore.
I think this all outweighs the positive side to Vinylux that it's dry in 8 and a half minutes. I use Lumos base and top coat with any polish and this dries pretty quickly too.

For me personally I think there's nothing worse than seeing bottles of polish in a salon with only the last dregs of it left. It looks unprofessional in my opinion. If you went to a make up counter and saw all the make up was on it's last legs for eg blushers with big holes in them where they've hit pan you wouldn't be too impressed either. I'm also a big believer in keep all of your treatments consistent , I don't believe that the customer gets the same longevity from a polish that is dryed out as a fresh one , and value my customers time so see it as unfair to have them wait longer for their polish to be fully set because the polish has gone a bit thicker .

Retailing Vinylux for home use is very different than applying it yourself in the salon. Customers do not expect the same finish or longevity from vinylux when they apply it themselves (thank God or we'd be out of a job ! ) They generally buy it for top ups , or DIYers who just like to do their own nails . My customers don't seem to mind the polishes drying out as they love the quick setting time. women simply do not have the time to sit and let their nails dry for long anymore , so they are more than happy to spend €12 on a polish that saves them time. It also lasts longer than any other polish I've tried and has an amazing shine. I just don't think any other polish performs as well as it so can look past it drying out a bit quicker .

Thank you for the business advice, I didn't realise how much I needed it. I'll bow out at this point. My experiences over the years are very different. I am not convinced.

I do wonder if temperatures have something to do with it? My Vinylux in the Salon has been fine....until recently when it's suddenly become v cold. I know my Shellac is a nightmare when it's cold & think the same may apply to vinylux? I also think maybe cleaning the necks of the bottles (which I am not as vigilant about as I should be) & wiping with Solar Oil is a genius idea x

Thank you for the business advice, I didn't realise how much I needed it. I'll bow out at this point. My experiences over the years are very different. I am not convinced.

I didn't offer you any business advice just my own personal opinion :) We are all different and wouldn't it be boring if we were all the same ;)

don't take it personally that I have different opinion to you, I am not saying your opinion is wrong just that's it's different to mine :) isn't that what this site is for after all? to share opinions about different areas of our business :) I enjoy a bit of debate about things like this because it is interesting to see other peoples points of view

there is no mallace in my posts , so please don't take it that way ;)

I do wonder if temperatures have something to do with it? My Vinylux in the Salon has been fine....until recently when it's suddenly become v cold. I know my Shellac is a nightmare when it's cold & think the same may apply to vinylux? I also think maybe cleaning the necks of the bottles (which I am not as vigilant about as I should be) & wiping with Solar Oil is a genius idea x

I think you might be right about temperature having something to do with this 'problem.'
So far, so good with all of mine, and they are on display, and exposed to salon lighting......
I do always have the heating on, so no drop in temperature, even when the salon is closed.

I've had to reduce the cost of my other polish brand that I retail as people are rather buying the vinylux and think it's a good price! I have one lady who sourced me out due to selling the vinylux and will often pop in to buy a new colour, she's never said anything negative regarding them. I will advise people to shake the colours when they buy them, a few of my clients have struggled with applying the top coat but have said they soon got use to it!! Xxx

I haven't had any issues at all with the colour coats of Vinylux - I love it! But the top coat definitely goes thick fairly quickly.

I've had to put a few drops of thinner in a couple of my more popular colours. Don't know if you're supposed to or not, but it hasn't affected the application or longevity of the polish. The bottles are maybe 3/4 full? So not using the dregs and looking tacky.
We're in the middle of Summer here, so temperature change could be a factor, the aircon goes on as soon as I walk in!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

H
making the bottles smaller wouldn't make much difference in my opinion, I believe they would still get thick half way down, and if the bottle were too small it is going to make polishing more difficult.

I have always thrown my polish away when the bottles are half empty no matter what brand. When I started out I used to try and use every last drop but found that your polishing becomes much harder as the polish is thicker, and because the polish is thicker it takes longer to dry and you get more people coming back with smudged nails 10-15 mins after they have left asking if you can fix them which is extremely frustrating in a busy salon environment.

Look at the profit you make in the time it takes you to do the service

Polish is very cheap to buy in, you cost per service is very low.

So if you can polish nails in 20 mins and they can leave with you knowing they won't smudge 10 mins later , great

If they come back with smudged nails and you have to repair them it's going to take up another 15 to 20 mins. that's halving your profit per time spent on the treatment straight away

Surely it's clear to see its much more cost effective to keep your polishes fresh, I never have anyone come back with smudged nails , no stress for me , and clients love how quick it drys which gets me more business :)

make your life easier and replace your polishes regularly :)
ow can you tell if it's half way down?

H

ow can you tell if it's half way down?

Hi,
This thread is from 2015 and most of the contributors aren't here anymore sadly. In answer to your question, the thread was about Vinylux which is normal polish in a clear bottle so easy to see the amount left. If you're wondering about Gel polish in opaque bottles you can use a cuticle pusher, cocktail stick, long pin, etc. Put in in the neck of the bottle until it hits the bottom then pull it straight up and out, the level of the product left will be on the tool.

Hi,
This thread is from 2015 and most of the contributors aren't here anymore sadly. In answer to your question, the thread was about Vinylux which is normal polish in a clear bottle so easy to see the amount left. If you're wondering about Gel polish in opaque bottles you can use a cuticle pusher, cocktail stick, long pin, etc. Put in in the neck of the bottle until it hits the bottom then pull it straight up and out, the level of the product left will be on the tool.
Thank you, that's very helpful. It's quite embarrassing to have thick streaky polish on a clients nails and not know what is wrong. X

Latest posts

Back