Vinylux, sun cream and swimming pools-can it handle it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindabop

Reaction score
Will vinylux be affected by sun cream and chlorine in pools? Obviously I will advise my client to wipe sun cream and chlorine of nails and apply solar oil. But just wondered if any one had any experience of it during holidays abroad x

Will vinylux be affected by sun cream and chlorine in pools? Obviously I will advise my client to wipe sun cream and chlorine of nails and apply solar oil. But just wondered if any one had any experience of it during holidays abroad x

I would assume that yes chlorine will affect it. It's only a polish after all and chlorine eats away at that x

Thank you that's what I thought. She's really not keen on shellac. So may just have to encourage to buy a vinylux to take on hols with her!x

I can only speak for my 8 year old who after swimming with normal polish it comes off, had more success with Vinylux had 2 small corners missing so definitely better x. I also don't really do cuticle work on her so may be better after full cuticle work x

I would assume that yes chlorine will affect it. It's only a polish after all and chlorine eats away at that x
Chlorine does not eat away at polish! In fact it doesn't affect polish.

It is sun PLUS chlorine that can fade colours but it doesn't eat them or affect the polish otherwise.

Sun creams that contain DEET will affect polishes and even some enhancements at DEET is a solvent, and a powerful one at that.

I didn't mean it literally eats at it! Lol what I meant is whenever I've been in a chlorinated pool my polish is always chipped and coming off by the time I get out and I know this is the case for most people. I don't actually wear polish anymore because of this, I always wear Shellac and double top coat too because the chlorine has effected it as well in the past. Now I know that's not the case for everyone, it could just be that my local pool has stronger chlorine levels than most.

I love your idea of retailing her a bottle and the top coat to take away with her though! Win win for you and her x

Chlorine does not eat away at polish! In fact it doesn't affect polish.

It is sun PLUS chlorine that can fade colours but it doesn't eat them or affect the polish otherwise.

Sun creams that contain DEET will affect polishes and even some enhancements at DEET is a solvent, and a powerful one at that.

Geeg are you saying the only affect sun and chlorine will have on vinylux is that it may fade? It won't impair it's longevity any?x

I'm a swim instructor by day spending around 15 hours a week in the pool. I bought my first bottle of vinylux today so will apply on wednesday then I'll update you with how it's wearing.

I'm a swim instructor by day spending around 15 hours a week in the pool. I bought my first bottle of vinylux today so will apply on wednesday then I'll update you with how it's wearing.

Oh that would be great thank you!x

Geeg are you saying the only affect sun and chlorine will have on vinylux is that it may fade? It won't impair it's longevity any?x

Constantly having/soaking your hands in water can affect longevity of anything because of the water not the levels of chlorine in the water. The water swells the nail plate ... Then the plate becomes soft and bendy and also shrinks afterwards causing movement .... Most polishes would chip more quickly because of this.

My guess is that VINYLUX will last longer and chip less quickly because of the adhesion promoters. As to fading, we will see!

If you are going to do any testing ... To the swimming instructor ... Then make it a fair test by using Solar Oil more frequently and looking after your manicure. The more someone's nails are in water, the more they need to replenish moisture to the nail and the coating on it.

I've decided to buy Vinylux to do on my own nails for holiday rather than getting Shellac done somewhere else (now that I've got a Sweet Squared account). I've not started doing clients yet but practicing manicures on family and friends so wanted a good quality polish and I can also use it on myself - win win :)

I'm going to take all my colours with me (got 4 and a top coat) and some remover so I can re-do it if needed. I'm guessing the sea water, chlorine etc may affect it somewhat but it's probably going to be better than wearing a cheap polish and it not even lasting a day. Plus I'm rather indecisive so being able to change colour will be a good thing for me :)

Ok so day one, solar oil applied before a 4 hour stint in a chlorinated swimming pool.

All nails stood up to the test apart from my right thumb which has a small chip on the end.

Have to say I'm impressed so far. Tomorrow will be another 2 hours in the water so will update tomorrow.

I think it's important to bear in mind that probably the majority of people are unlikely to spend this amount of time in a swimming pool on their holidays even if it is gorgeous weather.

My 9 year old neice has just back from a week in tenerife where she was in & out the pool constantly, plenty of sun cream & her vinylux pink bikini mani & pedi where perfect.
Amazing i love it.

Thanks for your replys ladies x

I had a client in last night. I applied VINYLUX water park about 4-5 weeks ago. She hasn't been away and the polish is perfect apart from its turned silver?? She does cycle and run and only applies body butter and fake tan. Any ideas? I thought maybe rubbing from running? It's on all toe nails. Patchy apart from big toes where it's all silver. I've never seen this before.

I had a client in last night. I applied VINYLUX water park about 4-5 weeks ago. She hasn't been away and the polish is perfect apart from its turned silver?? She does cycle and run and only applies body butter and fake tan. Any ideas? I thought maybe rubbing from running? It's on all toe nails. Patchy apart from big toes where it's all silver. I've never seen this before.
It sounds like friction. Waterpark is a semi sheer polish and the pigment has worn away leaving the silver. I have a habit tic where I rub my thumbnail and I sometimes see colour change as the rubbing thins the polish layers on that nail!

After 5 weeks wear !!! I'm sure I wouldn't be concerned about what caused it, Ian!! :eek: I would be more amazed as VINYLUX is a weekly wear polish, that it lasted for 5 weeks!! . I'm more interested in how she kept a VINYLUX manicure on her nails for 5 weeks at all and just how long it took you to remove it? :D:D:D

Geeg - it was on the ladies toe nails .... can you imagine the growth on 5 weeks for a manicure!!

Geeg - it was on the ladies toe nails .... can you imagine the growth on 5 weeks for a manicure!!
Well I was trying to imagine it on fingernails, and it wasn't pretty!! Of course toes are different!

Lol. Thought it might be! Just never seen it before so was interested to know what why when. I'm sure it would look a state on fingers though. Thank you xxx

Hi.
ive done quite a few Vinylux manis and pedis on my clients now with great results. I have asked all for feedback.
Today a client text me to say that she had been swimming and her Vinylux had started to peel away.
''Hey nail varnish doesnt like swimming pools, its peeling!''
i did these for her on Saturday and they were fine right up to this point. I text her back to ask her if this had happened immediately after swimming and she confirmed, ''yes..they were perfect before i went in!''
I will try and investigate further re what type of pool it was.
This will not stop me from using and recommending Vinylux but I do like to give my clients full information. If swimming can cause it to wear then I want to forewarn them. Forewarned is forearmed...preferably with a couple of bottles of Vinylux that they have bought from me! ;)

Latest posts

Back