'Voluntary' job within salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xlolax

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!
I'm currently studying my level 2 Beauty Therapy Diploma. I have previous beauty salon experience and have done the level 2 Diploma before however was unable to finish it.

Anyway, I have sent 12 CV's to 12 different salons and was lucky enough to get 5 replies!
The one reply was: I was more than welcome to work within the salon a few days a week to gain experience and knowledge however it was an unpaid position.

I thought as I'm not qualified that this was a wonderful opportunity for me, but family and friends feel that I am being taken advantage of and basically working for free.

What do you think? I don't want to miss this opportunity but am I being taken advantage of due to my experience?

Lauren
X x x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ya

It is hard to say without knowing exactly what you will be doing. I did some unpaid work before I qualified and loved it. When doing treatments though I was paid a %. I cannot remember the exact figures but I worked in this salon for one day a week and after a few weeks I was told I could advertise for clients to practice on and that I would be paid a % of the treatment price (Which was reduced as I was training) and would keep any tips given. Maybe you could chat to the salon owner about a similar situation? It didn't earn me a fortune but built my confidence with clients and covered my expenses of getting to work with a little left over :)

Hey,
Thankyou for replying:)
That's give me a bit of a confidence boost. I'll definitely talk to the salon owner about your situation it sounds ideal:)
But as you mentioned it's experience and confidence with clients.

Thankyoou again!

Hi,
I say it's a good thing.
I work in an academy, we teach Nvq L2 beauty / L3 massage route.
We send our students to a work experience placement once a week throughout their time with us, it is beneficial to their progress as you see the students grow in self confidence and in their treatments ... 'This is unpaid work' ... (But usually some of the salon owners do give a bit of money to cover their bus / train fares & dinner ... And some free treatments / products at times.

They usually look after the reception, setting up rooms, cleaning, towels, treatments once they've passed those units etc with supervision.

Might i add, Some have gone on to get Saturdays jobs then to being taken on from these salons on a full time basis once qualified ... !!!

It's hard for someone to take on another employee who isn't qualified ... Or bringing them in any money, but without this experience once qualified they have to compete with therapist with salon experience for jobs.
Suppose it depends on which side of the fence you sit with it being slave labour or whether it's good experience with the chance of employment at the end or at least a good reference.

Sanilulu

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi Sanilulu,
Thankyou for your reply.

I definitely think it's going to be great experience for me and I'm so fortunate to be offered a few days work within a salon.
I think my family see my glass as half empty and do not see 'as you said' how beneficial it is to get experience within this career.

Thanks again for the reply:)

I am now more than looking forward to starting my new role.

Lauren x

Back