Volunteering in a nail salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetie_pie

Reaction score
Hi, I've completed my level 2 in nail technology at college which covered acrylic and gel natural extensions, I've taught myself a few things like glitter tips etc but feel I need to know more, I worry with new clients that they will ask for something I can't do, I've looked at doing level 3 but it's over £3000 and I can't afford that, I was wondering if it would be worth volunteering in a nail salon one day a week or something to build up my knowledge and speed, has anyone else done this? X

Whilst the idea sounds good, I doubt that you would find a salon that would take you on. What would they gain from this arrangement? I would be worried that you would hone your skills with my help and then set up down the road, enticing my clients away from my business.

Do you have anyone to practice on?

Yeah I was just thinking this! I do and I'm currently doing nail clients mobile but would really like to be able to do more instead of panicking every time someone new contacts me in case they ask for something I can't do or not great at 😕

You'll be fine. I know that there can be quite a lot of pressure to do fabulous designs as everyone seems to source ideas on Pinterest, but sometimes it's just good to be thrown in at the deep end.

There are some fabulous Geeks on You Tube, look up Shannon Underwood and the real Mrs Grey for good tutorials. I'm still trying to stamp well. I am a bit of a perfectionist though.

I feel overwhelmed when I see other people's work and worry I'm not good enough or even if I should be doing glitter tips and gradients etc If I've not actually been taught them on my course :/ I want to be the best I can be and was planning on doing the level 3 but my hubby has just been made redundant so that's gone out the window for awhile 😩

I'll have a look at those you tube tutorials, thank you x

I feel overwhelmed when I see other people's work and worry I'm not good enough or even if I should be doing glitter tips and gradients etc If I've not actually been taught them on my course :/ I want to be the best I can be and was planning on doing the level 3 but my hubby has just been made redundant so that's gone out the window for awhile ��

A lot of it is trial and error. As long as you have someone to practice on, you'll learn from your mistakes. If your hubby is not working, he can model for you :wink2:
Look up flexi finger and buy a box of tips and get creating. Look up those two I mentioned on You tube (there are lots of others too, but Shannon and Mrs Grey are also here on Salon geek) and also look at this thread, http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/159644-what-nails-you-sporting-today.html, there are lots of ideas there and tips and tricks.

Have fun!

A lot of it is trial and error. As long as you have someone to practice on, you'll learn from your mistakes. If your hubby is not working, he can model for you :wink2:
Look up flexi finger and buy a box of tips and get creating. Look up those two I mentioned on You tube (there are lots of others too, but Shannon and Mrs Grey are also here on Salon geek) and also look at this thread, http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/159644-what-nails-you-sporting-today.html, there are lots of ideas there and tips and tricks.

Have fun!

Brilliant thank you! It's good to know that I'm not expected to know everything straight away, so far I've only had one girl surprise me with something I didn't know and luckily she was a friend of a friend and has been coming to me since I started the course, so she didn't mind me looking at a couple of you tube clips, I do try to ask my clients what they would like or an idea of what they would like before the appointment in case I need to look anything up or have a practice or even purchase something as I don't have a lot of nail art stuff yet. I spend countless nights worrying I can't do something before I've even been asked to do it :o this is actually the reason I've been holding back on my advertising :(

Im crazy practicing my nail art on my nail trainer and colour pops at the moment. Then once I happy my mum and friends get a set

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

Where on earth is it £3000 for you to do your level 3?? Cost me £600! I'm in Leicester... I volunteered for a while at a local salon, i was lucky though because she contacted my college asking for someone, it's taught me a lot, tips and tricks and also many things NOT to be doing! You will gain experience with time and if someone asks for something you can't do then just explain so, and offer something else similar maybe, YouTube is a great source for learning new things! Don't panic too much cause you want to enjoy your job! :)

Where on earth is it £3000 for you to do your level 3?? Cost me £600! I'm in Leicester... I volunteered for a while at a local salon, i was lucky though because she contacted my college asking for someone, it's taught me a lot, tips and tricks and also many things NOT to be doing! You will gain experience with time and if someone asks for something you can't do then just explain so, and offer something else similar maybe, YouTube is a great source for learning new things! Don't panic too much cause you want to enjoy your job! :)

Honestly I thought she was kidding when I enquired about the price, it's the local college where I did my manicure training and my level 2 in acrylic and gel extensions, those cost me over £350 each and even then only taught us the basics xx

You can apply for a 24+ learning loan to do level 3. I'm having to do the same with my level 3 hairdressing as it's £3250 :-(

You can apply for a 24+ learning loan to do level 3. I'm having to do the same with my level 3 hairdressing as it's £3250 :-(

to be honest I really don't understand much about the 24+ loan, it says loans must be paid back but not until 2016 and until I'm earning over £21,000, would I even earn that much as a mobile nail tech? Or does it include joint income with my hubby? Xx

No it just goes of your income and if you don't earn it you don't pay it back and if you do it's only a % each month you don't pay it all back in one lump sum

No it just goes of your income and if you don't earn it you don't pay it back and if you do it's only a % each month you don't pay it all back in one lump sum

I may have a look into it then, I'll have a chat to hubby about it but not sure if it would be to late as the course starts in sept :/

Oh no someone has just booked in for next week and said she has some pictures of what she wants, but she can't show me them till the appointment, now I'm worrying it's something I can't do :/

Latest posts

Back