Want to go from near-black to dark brown.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I recently dyed my hair at home (I KNOW... I was poor :( ) and it took too dark.
At the moment my hair is pretty much black- level 1 or a very dark level 2.

I want to get it dyed at a salon to a level 3 or a dark 4- so it is dark neutral brown. What I am wondering is, will they need to strip my hair before putting the brown in, to prevent any more build up?, Or will they just be able to put in a brown permanent and it will lighten from the peroxide in the developer? I am still skint so I don't want to have to save up to get two processes done :(

I am hoping they won't have to use anything stronger than 20 vol because I have bleached it at home with 30 in the past and I know how strong it is.

Thanks

Amber-

We get asked this question a LOT! Do a search on this forum for other threads. :)

If you are planning to go to a salon to get this fixed, why ask us?

As you have found out, home colouring is never sucessful. Please don't try and fix this yourself. It is not possible to colour correct at home and if you have underlying bleach, you risk melting your hair.

So please go to a good salon, tell them everything that has happened, and what you have used.

That is the best advice I can give you.

If you are planning to go to a salon to get this fixed, why ask us?

Isn't that what this forum is for?
I'm not even a professional. There's plenty of people here who are supposed to be professionals but they ask questions about basic things all the time.
And I never mentioned fixing it myself. If you read my post, I was asking about getting it done in a salon and I already made remark on home colouring being bad so I don't need to be told about that, thank you. :rolleyes:

If there's anyone out there who can actually answer my query, it would be nice.

Last edited:
Isn't that what this forum is for?
I'm not even a professional. There's plenty of people here who are supposed to be professionals but they ask questions about basic things all the time.
And I never mentioned fixing it myself. If you read my post, I was asking about getting it done in a salon and I already made remark on home colouring being bad so I don't need to be told about that, thank you. :rolleyes:

If there's anyone out there who can actually answer my query, it would be nice.

Hi Amber , the forum is mainly used for training purposes...... more like professional to professionals comparing and asking product questions and to help trainee hairdressers learn more,
so therefore we have to be mindful of the forum rules which means that we can't really advise how to do home colours etc .... and as your hair has gone too dark.... only you will know the history of how much home colouring on top of more colouring has been done to it

but test pieces done by your hairdresser will help determine what strength of peroxide they may use to shift the dark colour
you could go in and ask for these test pieces .... so you can see what is achievable on your hair and see what the condition will be like.

Also I should imagine it will more than likely be classed as a colour correction and may need a few lightening / colour treatments before you get it up to the shade you want .

On the other hand you may be lucky and it may not have to much build up on it and the outcome could be good ;
But be prepared as it may be an expensive job with all the time involved for lifting then a corrective colour put on top plus it usually involves a skilled colourist ,

another alternative is to ring up your local beauty College they have level three hairdressers already qualified but want to study advanced corrective colouring .... plus they will do it at a fraction of the price for you
They are very well supervised and have top Tutors to guide them ,
and they are always in need of these types of colour corrections ,

Persianista just tells it like it is .... especially with those awful box colours that the media advertise :rolleyes: as they are very strong and harsh on the hair they can cause so many distressing hair problems and hair disasters for the untrained person using them ,
I too would also recommend going to a professional hairdresser to sort this one out for you :)

So Perhaps go and get some test pieces done first for you to have a look at first.... as most good salons will do this for free ....
or give your local college a ring to book in with them for a colour correction

let us know how you get on :) minky

we have to be mindful of the forum rules which means that we can't really advise how to do home colours etc ....

I wasn't asking for advice on how to do home colours :confused:

Thank you for all your advice.

Last edited:
Hi everyone
I recently dyed my hair at home (I KNOW... I was poor :( ) and it took too dark.

I want to get it dyed at a salon to a level 3 or a dark 4- so it is dark neutral brown. What I am wondering is, will they need to strip my hair before putting the brown in, to prevent any more build up?, Or will they just be able to put in a brown permanent and it will lighten from the peroxide in the developer? I am still skint so I don't want to have to save up to get two processes done :(

I am hoping they won't have to use anything stronger than 20 vol because I have bleached it at home with 30 in the past and I know how strong it is.

Thanks

Amber-

Hi, tint does not lift tint. So to go from a level 1 to a level 3 or 4 the hairdresser would have to lighten it then apply a filler and tint.

Strand tests would need to be done with different levels of developer to see how your hair will lift. If it has alot of colour build up then 20 vol may not be strong enough to lift the black a few shades.

I would advise you to book a hair consultation with your hairdresser, these are free. Your hairdresser will take a few pieces of your hair and test with different Vol of developer to see which developer will be best to use. You will then be able to go back the same day or following day to see how your hair pieces turned out.

Hope this helps :)

will they need to strip my hair before putting the brown in,

They will need to lighten it for you.... but this all depends on the hairs overall condition.... and if any past bleach or other colour is still present underneath the dark colour ?

Or will they just be able to put in a brown permanent and it will lighten from the peroxide in the developer?

This is not possible you will just get more build up ,
but.... there are quite a few really nice mild lightening systems and products out there.

I am still skint so I don't want to have to save up to get two processes done :(

It will definitely need the two processes as it will need toning , so perhaps ring your local college the level three girls will do it at a fraction of the price :)

It's hard to say ....
As we cannot see / feel your hair to assess the condition ,
also the peroxide strengths may need staggering on the more darker parts...... hopefully it may not have too much build up so a milder strength and milder products can be used .
Amber-

The test pieces will determine what strength peroxides and what product you may need to lift the dark parts of the hair
and most importantly to see if the whole colour correction is achievable without compromising the condition of your hair
good luck :) minky

Prehaps I should have started a new thread for this but the subject matter is similar.

I have a client that wants to go from jet black to blonde. She has been dyeing her hair jet black with home dyes for 18 months (she comes to me for hair extensions). I'm of the view point that I dont want to touch it. There is no way I am gonna get her hair to the level of blonde she wants (not without wrecking a massive amount of havoc onto her hair) and I have told her as much. I could lift some of the colour but I dont know if this would be good idea and I could probably only get it to to a dark/medium brown at best. Any suggestions ? Should I suggest a blonde wig lol

Prehaps I should have started a new thread for this but the subject matter is similar.

I have a client that wants to go from jet black to blonde. She has been dyeing her hair jet black with home dyes for 18 months (she comes to me for hair extensions). I'm of the view point that I dont want to touch it. There is no way I am gonna get her hair to the level of blonde she wants (not without wrecking a massive amount of havoc onto her hair) and I have told her as much. I could lift some of the colour but I dont know if this would be good idea and I could probably only get it to to a dark/medium brown at best. Any suggestions ? Should I suggest a blonde wig lol

Hi princesrach, you could do a load of bleached test peices with varying strengths of peroxide this way you will be able to show your client exactly what is achievable on those darker parts :) and if you cannot get past that burnt orange colour without compromising the condition of her hair,
at least when you show her the results she will probably realize it is just not realistic trying to go blonde :lol:
hopefully she will settle for what you advise ,
and perhaps she can gradually go lighter over a longer period of time,

but.... don't let her bully you doing anything against your better judgment though :) good luck with it all
let us know how you get on ,
minky

Thanks for all your help guys :) :D

Hi princesrach, you could do a load of bleached test peices with varying strengths of peroxide this way you will be able to show your client exactly what is achievable on those darker parts :) and if you cannot get past that burnt orange colour without compromising the condition of her hair,
at least when you show her the results she will probably realize it is just not realistic trying to go blonde :lol:
hopefully she will settle for what you advise ,
and perhaps she can gradually go lighter over a longer period of time,

but.... don't let her bully you doing anything against your better judgment though :) good luck with it all
let us know how you get on ,
minky

Hi Minky
Thanks for this, think I will do test peices as I think the results should prove my point nicely :biggrin:

The colour build up on her hair will be a nightmare as she told me she dyes it once a month and not just the regrowth !

Latest posts

Back