Wanting to take time off from my business. How to do this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautygeek20

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've had my tanning & beauty salon for over 4 years now and me & my Bf work 6 days a week until 7:30. He usually handles sunbed customers and bookings and I do nails and spray tans. We also have a girl who rents a room off us thursday- saturday offering brows, waxing and microblading but we don't employ anyone. We have never had a day off or a holiday other than Bank Holidays and Christmas but we are at the stage now where we really want to start taking some time for ourselves.
We were thinking of getting someone in to cover the sunbeds for one Saturday every month, so that we at least get one full weekend together a month. Obviously this means I would have to turn some customers away, but I'm busy through the week and if someone really needed a spray tan on a Saturday I could do it in the morning and then still have the day off.
Has anyone else done anything similar to this and what are your thoughts?

Thought about upping your prices? Should be charging enough that you can take a week off and go on holiday without worrying about it otherwise you just work yourself into the ground if the business can't survive without you working in it.

I think a classic saying is "Work on your business, not in your business".

I think a good analysis of your profitability model could help decide, including profitability by service, profit contribution by day/ by month, appontment shifting from a specific ‘low’ day vs cannibalisation.

In other words: can you up pricing on certain services so profits increase, so you can either cut other less profitable ones or close for a ‘low’day and not see much drop in total profits. Just a couple of examples.

Your accountant would be best placed to do this for you.

Hi everyone, I've had my tanning & beauty salon for over 4 years now and me & my Bf work 6 days a week until 7:30. He usually handles sunbed customers and bookings and I do nails and spray tans. We also have a girl who rents a room off us thursday- saturday offering brows, waxing and microblading but we don't employ anyone. We have never had a day off or a holiday other than Bank Holidays and Christmas but we are at the stage now where we really want to start taking some time for ourselves.
We were thinking of getting someone in to cover the sunbeds for one Saturday every month, so that we at least get one full weekend together a month. Obviously this means I would have to turn some customers away, but I'm busy through the week and if someone really needed a spray tan on a Saturday I could do it in the morning and then still have the day off.
Has anyone else done anything similar to this and what are your thoughts?

I would be hiring someone and jetting off straight away. 4 years! I’d be tearing my hair out. I would plan every weekend off together for a while and only go in to check up on goings on. Put your relationship first for a while :)

Latest posts

Back