Wanting to work in a salon...no salon experience, what to say?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinksNails

Reaction score
Hi, im new at this so would appreciate any help :)

I am a qualified nail technician but dont have that much experience and was wanting to work in a salon, Iv found a salon that is looking for qualified nail technicians that should be qualified and ideally have Salon experience of nail extensions. Unfortunately i dont have any salon experience, I know she has only said 'Ideally' but i was just wondering if anyone could help me with what to say to her when i call her?? I will tell her i am qualified but how can i sell myself to her with no salon experience? and how do i explain that i kind of want to start as a trainee with out putting her off? (as i am qualified with about a years mobile experience) I really want to work in a salon and would love to be given the chance to start my career in a salon...after all we all have to start somewhere right?

Please help!! Xx

It doesn't really matter so much about the salon experiance so much Hun if u know how to talk urself up! Ok u havnt worked in a salon but u have been qualified for a year and have been working mobile so u do have experiance! If u r confident in ur standard of work then just put it over that u have spent the past year being mobile therefore u have to manage ur own time, appointments etc and b completely organised so u have plenty of experiance but now u would love to work in a different enviroment and u feel u and ur customers could benifit from u being in a salon which brings u more work and also the salon more work by bringing clients with u that would then maybe try something else too....it's about being confident in ur work, relaxed and above all talk urself up :) good luck xx

Offer to do the owners nails, & I'm sure she will be happy if you are bringing your clients to the salon with you.

What she will be nervous of is that you are using her to build your client base then leave, taking them all with you.
You will probably have to sign something to say you won't poach her clients or work within a certain area for a few years if leaving, so you do need to think about that as you may decide it is not as profitable/nice to work in a salon & you will be snookered.

Thanks ladies, only thing is i would not be able to take my clients in with me as her salon is in a different town to where i work/live now...im willing to travel there as i really want to work in a salon but dont think my clients would be willing to have a 25minute drive just to come to me.
but on the plus side surely this would show im not wanting to take clients from her Xx

i'd of thought having mobile experience would be seen just as well as salon experience? you will be aware of health and safety and correct procedures when it comes to sanitising your tools and work area, you are dealing with client enquiries, booking in appointments, 'upselling' treatments and encouraging clients to rebook, will have experience of retail sales, of ordering stock and sourcing the best yet most cost effective products for your needs, of pricing treatments and showing awareness of working in a cost effective way, of handling cash, of advertising, you will have experience of preparing for treatments and safe removal of products used, you will also know what industry standards are in regards to time etc. aswell as a numerous other skills including good organising as being mobile you have to get from client to client and plan in advance the times aswell as ensuring things like your car is filled with petrol and there is oil and water in your car so although that doesn't relate directly to working in a salon it still shows that you can plan ahead and are organised. i'd of thought the fact that you have ran your own business for a year will be a huge selling point as it takes a determined, self motivated person to run a business who needs to show a good standard of common sense and who is full of enthusiasm for the industry and on top of that you've got nobody to hide behind when it's just you offering the treatments so you've got to make sure you are doing a fabulous job every time. so it's not like you have absolutely no idea of what is involved!

if i was you i would apply for the job... what's the worse than can happen? i'd write up a fabulous cv, ask a couple of previous clients if they would be willing to write you a little testimonial type thing, ask for a reference from your college/training providers, include pictures of your latest work and present it to the owner/manager/who ever is named in a lovely folder. i'd hand it in in person dressed in smart wear, with perfect hair and make up and let them see that i am clean and well presented with a lovely manner. why are you wanting to be seen as a trainee when you have a years experience? a trainee to me is somebody who has literally just finished their training and knows absolute basics?x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back