Waxing and Chemotherapy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayleyc1983

Reaction score
I have just had an e mail from a lady undergoing chemotherapy who would like to book in for a full leg wax. I don't recall covering this area when I trained. My initial instinct would be to not do it as leaving the skin vulnerable to the elements, plus skin can become irritated and thinner during treatment. Does anyone know if there is a right or wrong answer for this? I will call my insurers tomorrow in any case x

It's a tricky one. I'm the first to say that we should always try and do treatments where we can as people just don't want to be defined by their illness ie - having chemo=don't treat!
It is hard to know really, without seeing the client. I have seen people having chemo with perfect nails, and some with nails falling off.
Definitely speak to yourinsurance company.

If her skin is in good condition and not compromised in any way, I would go ahead with care but I'm sure many would not agree!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
I have just had an e mail from a lady undergoing chemotherapy who would like to book in for a full leg wax. I don't recall covering this area when I trained. My initial instinct would be to not do it as leaving the skin vulnerable to the elements, plus skin can become irritated and thinner during treatment. Does anyone know if there is a right or wrong answer for this? I will call my insurers tomorrow in any case x

I would ask her for a doctors letter to confirm that it would be ok to carry out the treatment otherwise I would not do the treatment. my mum went through chemo and a lot of treatments we're off limits so it would be better to be safe x

I would not treat. I am currently undergoing chemotherapy (the reason I am not as active on here as I once was) so can speak from experience here. Patients immune systems can be severely compromised due to low white blood count as mine is and are therefore more prone to infection. Even something like folliculitis could and I stress could see uour client in hospital. I am not trying to scaremonger here but is a possibility. Skin can be very fragile also, it dries out quite a bit too. My chemo is single agent and not as aggressive as some and I have reluctantly and very carefully had to shave.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Like squidgernetball I'm normally all for providing treatments for people undergoing treatment for cancer however this is potentially one which could harm. In this instance you should definitely request a doctors note, or they may find their consultant more obliging, and of course check with your insurance.

Both my surgeon and oncologist have said absolutely not but not all docs will be the same

That's what I thought ladies thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it is a shame as its when people need to feel pampered the most but definitely best to be cautious xx

Hey, I work as a therapist within the oncology and heamotology departments in a hospital. As the others have said waxing is a definite no no.
As said above due to low white blood counts which means any infection can cause I stay in hospital or a delay in further chemo. Also chemo can compromise platelets levels which helps the blood clotting so bruising can very easily occur. The skin in General can become quite dry and thin therefore any trauma can cause harm. Some chemo's can cause neuropathy so loss tactile sensation can occur.

There are however lots of treatments that you can still do!
I hope this has been helpful?

Kez

Complementary therapies can be great to help with relaxation for cancer patients and are offered by many hospitals.

Does anyone know if the same applies to a client having radiotherapy not chemotherapy?

Hey Jiff,
yes the same can apply for radio. Although each patient has different experiences, but radio can affect your bone barrow which in turn affects your red and white blood cells. It's worth noting that radio and chemo can also stay in your body for a good few weeks after treatment stops.

Kez

One of my closest friends (who happens to be a massage therapist) is currently undergoing a most aggressive form of chemo (TAC) for breast cancer. She comes here every 3rd week (her 'good' week) between chemo sessions to have whatever treat she fancies. This week it was a few lashes & brow wax & tint (whilst she still has them) & last time it was a back massage & facial!

Before people are up in arms, she has cleared EVERYTHING with her oncologist & we go with how she feels on that week as to what she has.

I agree with Squidgernetball that Chemo doesn't necessarily = no treatments but you have to be sensible and check out skin conditions/general health and make sure the client has checked with their own doc.

The one day every 3 weeks that my friend comes to me means so much to her - she thoroughly enjoys her day & looks forward to some 'normality' from the labels that are cancer and chemo! In fact, this week she arrived as I was doing a Shellac on someone & my client asked where my friend had her hair done as it was gorgeous. It was a wig she'd had styled at her hairdressers but I can't tell you how chuffed she was when I told her about the comment as wearing a wig is the biggest issue to her. My client thought it was her own hair!

Latest posts

Back