Waxing men who take steroids

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KattyB

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm branching out and starting to offer male grooming services in my local gym.

I will be mainly waxing / spray tanning etc.

I am aware that a number of the males who will be interested in my services are those who train hard and compete in professional body building competitions.

I am also aware that a number of them are taking steroids in order to achieve their desired physic.

Taking steroids does thin the skin and it is a contraindication to waxing.

I was wondering if there are any other geeks out their who offer male / female waxing and have clients who are on steroids? Do you wax them?
Do you patch test them first? Do you allow them to sign a disclaimer and still wax them anyway?

Any experience / ideas would be much appreciated, cheers!

The type of steroids that thin the skin are corticosteroids, these are topically applied to treat eczema etc. The anabolic steroids taken by bodybuilders are a different type altogether and wouldn't have a thinning effect on the skin, in fact the opposite, as coarsening of the skin and excessive sebum producation are side effects.

I wax many bodybuilders, I am sure some of them take steroids but I have never had any trouble at all. I don't think many would disclose anabolic steroid use as it is illegal.

Hope that helps|!
J

Thanks J

Yes this is very helpful I was unsure. I will still point it out to my clients in the disclaimer as I want to make sure that I am covered by my insurance and patch test if the skin looks sensitive but like you say many of them will not want to declare it anyway in which case it is then at their own risk :)

You'll find the skin on serious body budgets will be thin due to their diet, so be cautious. Check with your insurers about meds etc.

Latest posts

Back