Waxing/threading/facial/tinting advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teens1974

Reaction score
Hi All

After a very disatrous start with nails, I have at long last gotten into a good place with some good products and am learning well

However I dont want to make the same mistake with the next batch of things I would like to learn

So my mistake with nails was going to my local college to do an evening course which was truly awful

How do I find out about GOOD courses to learn on for waxing/tinting/facials

I am in the Milton Keynes area but I am happy to travel for a good company (as in I am now doing Harmony Fusion with a educator in High Wycombe cos she is so good)

Thanks for your answers in advance

T x

You need kim lawless, the wax queen for waxing. X google her. X

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Hi I've just finished an NVQ level 2 beauty course with the Carlton institute and our instructor was fab although it was intense and the assessments are home based and then you have to go back and do a practical assessment test along with answering questions from the moderators.

We were lucky at Malvern Spa that there was only 2 of us all week, apart from the odd lady just doing one of the modules.
I'm definitely going to do more courses.
Carlton institute have training venues all over the country. The smaller ones are the best as smaller class numbers.

Hope you get your courses and good luck.:biggrin:

Kim lawless must be fab ref all great reviews , but very expensive for 1 day it's £250 I would love to go but really is anyone worth that much do not mean any offence at all just my opinion .

If you're in MK then look up The Beauty Academy :)

T

Hi Pip im doing my Level 2 at Carlton Institute got a couple more weeks left to do just wondering what you intend to do now you have passed are you thinking of doing your level 3 im wanting to do level 3 but going to have to wait a few months to save the money to pay for it.

Hi Pip im doing my Level 2 at Carlton Institute got a couple more weeks left to do just wondering what you intend to do now you have passed are you thinking of doing your level 3 im wanting to do level 3 but going to have to wait a few months to save the money to pay for it.

Hi I've still got to do all the assessment and written work.
But last week was fantastic and in the future I do intend to do more courses. Got to make some money first to pay for it all.

I do fancy the level 3 as my instructor Keran said I would be good at massage and holstic treatments. I also would like to do Sparay tanning and Lash extensions.
I've got the bug now and wondered why I didn't do this earlier.
Keran was a really good instructor she was really down to earth, I was very apprehensive about doing a beauty as I'm a middle aged lady who is on the plump side well maybe more like very over weight. Preceptions of beauty are the girls who are immaculatly dressed, flawless makeup and slender in apperarance.

Anyway I am starting up my own salon working from home and maybe a bit of mobile work. I'm lucky that I have the space in my house my only problem is i'm in a small village north of Hereford. But if I give a good service thats top notch then hopefully clients will come back.

Now I just have to practice like mad for my assessment i've got 2 girls I can practice on, don't think my son would be too happy although the husband loves facials and hand massage !!!

I've got loads of ideas too for doing princess parties, Hen parties so watch this space.

I noticed it said your from Teeside where abouts as my husband comes from Redcar thats where all his family live. :)

Kim lawless must be fab ref all great reviews , but very expensive for 1 day it's £250 I would love to go but really is anyone worth that much do not mean any offence at all just my opinion .
No offence taken:) My prices are very competitive if you compare the actual level of training that I give.

You could of course go on a one of those £95 courses but I guarantee that you'll learn little or nothing. Testament to that are the amount of therapists that come to train with me afterwards as they thought it was a total waste of money.

Just wanted to add I agree Kim isn't the cheapest out there but that's because she is amazing. I trained with her a few weeks ago in exteme male and female waxing.
Yes it cost a fair bit but in the last 2 weeks that I have been working on my clients I have made back twice what the course cost me already! And my clients are so impressed with the technique.
My advice is always train with the best. You will be confident and capable and you won't regret it......

I do agree with you that Kim is one of the best. At the time though studying with the Carlton just was more convienent for me and my family. Carlton aren't cheap either.
Ok I know that you get very intense short course but I was there to learn everything I possibly could. Also very fortunate that at Malvern Spa where we trained the facilities can only cope with small classes. There was 2 of us and so the training then becomes more 1:1 which was excellent. Our trainer has been working in the industry for 14 years and has a lot of experience.
I now have to go away and practice and practice some more complying evidence that I am a professional competent beauty therapist. Then go back for assessment.
I am always reading and looking to make sure that my techniques are up to scratch as I want to provide the best service possible. Maybe I am a rare breed as it's not just about going out there and getting loads of money and doing a crap job. I strife for prefection.:)

I was very apprehensive about doing a beauty as I'm a middle aged lady who is on the plump side well maybe more like very over weight. Preceptions of beauty are the girls who are immaculatly dressed, flawless makeup and slender in apperarance

I noticed it said your from Teeside where abouts as my husband comes from Redcar thats where all his family live. :)[/QUOTE] I was the same very apprehensive about starting in beauty i turned 40 last year done retail since leaving school i just wish i had done this years ago. I was brought up in Middlesbrough now living in Billingham.

So have you started any courses yet?

I really do love it spent today sorting out the room I'm going to use and i've brought a fab couch of ebay today as well.

Husbands not impressed as i'm spending his money like I tell him "whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine" !!!

Im doing the Elite level 2 course just got 2 weeks of asessments to do.

I'm def converted Kim I defo was not referring to those one day courses at Capitol, but too many people sing your praises would your course be suitable for a beginner though I would like to eyebrow wax training x

If you're in MK then look up The Beauty Academy :)

T

I've seen their site. Have u trained with them then?

Thanks everyone for the rePlies :)

Latest posts

Back