Wearing gloves for a facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayley89

Reaction score
Just a question to any therapists that do facials, recently ive been getting worried about not wearing gloves during a facial, i do a lot of extractions during them and of course a small amount of blood may surface from doing this, its not common practice for any of the girls to wear gloves wear i work and we have a lot of loyal returning customers so i dont want offend any one from wearing gloves when the other girls dont , but im worried about cross contamination and the fact that i sometimes deal with blood, everything is cleaned thoroughly afterwards but even touching the skin after extractions is tormenting me a little bit, i think i will start to wear gloves from now on ( vinyl not latex of course ) but because i didnt train this way i dont know what peoples thoughts are about it . Any good advice would be welcomed :) thanks x

Sorry, but I would never dream of wearing gloves during a facial. I don't know what you're worried about happening. If it is something like HIV, then remember that this then has to have an entry into your body, via a cut/open wound. Added to which, wounds that are open bleed outwards so contamination from infected blood in this way is virtually unheard of. Plus, you wouldn't be treating a client if you had a bleeding open wound. I don't do extractions - I find them quite aggressive to the skin, and tend to use treatments and skincare to help remove blockages! If you're really unhappy about blood generally, then I would say reduce the level of extractions you are doing! Hope that helps!!!

Vicki x

I too would never dream of wearing gloves but i have really bad habit of washing my hands too much because of the same fear as you but i still wouldnt wear gloves. I would stick to doing extractions as so many people dont do it anymore and clients love it it gives you an advantage. Try wearing tissues over your 2 forefingers when doing them. Thats what i do. That way you dont touch a blackhead or anything else. And also the amount of blood you should be drawing should really be so minimal that it should just be able to be wiped away with the same tissue on your fingers. If its anymore than a pin prick amount of blood then something might be going wrong with your extractions. Xxx

i had a facial recently and the therapist used vinyl gloves when extracting my skin but only at that part of the treatment. if your that worried about what your clients may think then say something like i have to wear due to new health and safety proceedures or something but ONLY ever when them for actually extracting the skin and nothing else if you really have to. oh and btw i didnt mind my therapist wearing gloves during the extraction but would during the whole facial

I couldn't think of anything worse than someone wearing gloves when giving me a facial, and I personally wouldn't dream of it. As already suggested try wrapping tissue around your fingers when doing extractions or there is a specially designed tool for extracting comedones - google Comedone Extractor they only cost pennies and are very effective. HTH x

I do extractions with cotton pads over my fingers so my skin is never coming into contact with the client's. This probably feels more comfortable for them too. After the extractions I wipe the area with a bit of toner.

No need for gloves. If a client had a contra indication that made me think "right I need gloves" then the facial wouldn't be able to go ahead anyway so it's a moot point on that respect.

I'm another one that uses cotton pads if doing extractions (which I only do anyway if specifically requested as I don't really like doing them anyhow!) I would never wear gloves & if I turned up for a facial where the therapist used gloves I certainly wouldn't be going back!

If opportunity doesn't knock - build a door!

The people that would never dream of wearing gloves?? Have you ever tried it?? It doesn't feel any different to the client!
I have to wear them during exfoliation as I have eczema on my hands I just pop them on before I exfoliate and take them off after :)

The people that would never dream of wearing gloves?? Have you ever tried it?? It doesn't feel any different to the client!
I have to wear them during exfoliation as I have eczema on my hands I just pop them on before I exfoliate and take them off after :)

If you need to wear them, that's one thing, but I would always choose not to wear them. It isn't just how it feels to the client, but also how it feels to me - I certainly know that my hands aren't as sensitive when I wear any gloves. I also think that a large part of a facial is in the power of touch, which is sadly lost with a layer between you!

Ah, the beauty of using an enzymatic exfoliator! No handling required; just paint it on, leave for 10 mins and wash off!

Ah, the beauty of using an enzymatic exfoliator! No handling required; just paint it on, leave for 10 mins and wash off!

I do use enzymatic exfoliators but different clients require different levels of exfoliators so it's not a case of one suits all unfortunately!

I wear gloves for extractions with tissue folded over my index fingers, then after I have finished with the extractions I remove the gloves, wipe over the area of the clients skin where I have been extracting with post extraction solution (dermalogica) then proceed with bare hands again. I personally would hate to wear gloves all throughout the treatment (i feel trapped) and wouldn't be keen on receiving a treatment from a therapist who wore them for the whole treatment. Just my opinion though :)
Also, I have never found blood to be an issue when extracting comedones anyway.
xxx

If you're dealing with any amount of blood, wear gloves.

Perhaps as someone wrote before, just put them on to do the extractions. It's not about her catching something from you, or you catching something from her. Consider that if you've touched blood, or open skin, you have the clients goo on your fingers, and the goo will be spread everywhere you touch until you wash it off. Some client goo (Hep C for instance) can remain active for up to 30 days. But if you have gloves on, the gloves can be removed and binned soon as you've finished and no spreading client goo

Thanks guys lots of good advice, I have gone on to wear gloves for extractions now. xx

Sent from my GT-P6800 using SalonGeek mobile app

I wear gloves for facials... Well some of them. My aromatherapy ones I don't but my murad ones I do. It's part of thier procedure because the products are so active that doing quite a few facials a day can take its toll on your hands!

As long as the gloves are the correct size and decent quality it actually doesn't feel much different.

If you're dealing with any amount of blood, wear gloves.

Perhaps as someone wrote before, just put them on to do the extractions. It's not about her catching something from you, or you catching something from her. Consider that if you've touched blood, or open skin, you have the clients goo on your fingers, and the goo will be spread everywhere you touch until you wash it off. Some client goo (Hep C for instance) can remain active for up to 30 days. But if you have gloves on, the gloves can be removed and binned soon as you've finished and no spreading client goo

I completely agree! Well said.

Latest posts

Back