Wearing nail varnish for treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansypansy

Reaction score
Hiya, when I was at college the tutors were really strict about not wearing nail varnish during treatments. I was told that the reason for this is because some people may be allergic to it but I have never come across anyone who actually is. I have noticed that salons are a lot less strict about this with many therapists wearing nail varnish. I am starting a home beauty room and mobile service and am wondering if I should allow myself to wear nail varnish or not?! I was just wondering what other beauty therapists do?! X

I don't wear nail varnish, I either wear Gelish or Bio Sculpture which is normally a bright colour and everyone comments on how nice it is.. I think it's good that clients can see your work. I haven't come across anyone who is allergic to it...

I honestly would think anything of it, the only treatments I wouldn't expect to see obvious/dark polish would be facials and massage and even then it wouldn't bother me as long as they look clean and well groomed

I do lots of massage/facials (as well as nails) and wear dark Gelish colours constantly. Even back before Gelish I never came across anyone who was allergic to nail varnish. Your clients will not be bothered if you're wearing nail varnish as long as it looks clean/tidy and that your nails are fairly short if doing facials/massage (I've had massages from therapists with long nails and I can feel them scratching!)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

At college we were told no enhancements ie tips/ sculptures.

I too wear bio on the natural nail as it is more hard wearing than varnish. As long as the nails look good, (clean, not chipped) i wouldn't think anything of it...
If they were chipped/ dirty (or really long esp for facials etc) i would be a little put off.

Xx

As above we were also told about not wearing due to allergies but I have since been told it's more so that a client can see that your nails are clean and cared for, no dirt behind them etc.

Saying this, I wear Shellac, its advertising my work but they are always well cared for and I prove my hygiene standards in other way with meticulous sanitisation of hands and sterilisation of tools.

From a clients view as long as they are clean, look clean and are well maintained, its not a problem and I think I would prefer something done by a therapist who had looked after nails that were painted.
The therapist I work with rarely has paint free nails, they look smart and display her work and creativity xoxo

Latest posts

Back