Quantcast

Web Site Hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Hi There

Does anybody have any prices on having a web site on the WWW?
I would like to build this into my business plan....thanks
 

Dawnie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2003
Messages
886
Reaction score
32
Location
Nottingham
Hiya Love

Have a peep at purple cloud http://www.purplecloud.net/home/ my partners uses this for all the web sites he does.

Hope this helps

Take care Dawnie xxx
 

Bodacious

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
224
Reaction score
0
Location
Cornwall
Mine costs me about £75 which included tech support and stuff. I gotta say the guys are really good. Mine has a shopping cart so it might be cheaper if yours is just a few pages.

they are at www.harlequindomains.co.uk (may be .com)
 

mui

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2003
Messages
999
Reaction score
13
Location
Thailand
sawasdee ka

Look at jackie site www.libertynaildesign.com it is beautifull and she speaks sean will make web sites if you email her .

Thank you mui
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Thanks Girls, will look into all options
 

techygeek

TechyFreak
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
201
Reaction score
14
Location
Yorkshire
You have been on elite's site haven't you why don't you ask me? I won't bite?

It all depends on what you want???? It can be as expensive or in-expensive as you like.....
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
techygeek said:
You have been on elite's site haven't you why don't you ask me? I won't bite?

It all depends on what you want???? It can be as expensive or in-expensive as you like.....

okay i will.....but why not pm me your contact details

ttfn
 

Seanny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
176
Location
Dublin
I'm totally impartial as to whoever you guys sign up with, but I would recommend that whoever it is provide you with a 'value for money' site. For example, you want a pretty site that attracts human eyes, right? Course ya do, but you should be aware that you also need to design your site for the search engines. The end result being a trade-off between the two. Dawnie, your site is really really pretty, but is totally unfriendly to the search engines. They can see your site title, description and keywords, but none of your body text is visible to them. Your site has been made with a template which gels everything into a series of pictures. Search engines cant see or read pictures, so your whole page of text is wasted in that respect. If you dont believe me, pay a visit to this site and enter your url Search Engine Similator

I believe that all top sites are hand written but I know you guys are trying to watch the pennies so with that in mind I'd recommend www.oneandone.co.uk It's not perfect, but it is pretty good and the results ARE reasonably search engine friendly, costs about £60+vat/year inclusive of webspace, email accounts and a domain name. Check out Carols Inspirations which was designed with the website creator, enter her url in the similator and notice the difference. It is entirely up to each individual to decide who they want to have host and design their site, but do it with your eyes open guys. :wink2:
 

Fab Freak

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2003
Messages
3,326
Reaction score
70
Location
Bondsville, West Yorkshire
Seanny said:
I'm totally impartial as to whoever you guys sign up with, but I would recommend that whoever it is provide you with a 'value for money' site. For example, you want a pretty site that attracts human eyes, right? Course ya do, but you should be aware that you also need to design your site for the search engines. The end result being a trade-off between the two. Dawnie, your site is really really pretty, but is totally unfriendly to the search engines. They can see your site title, description and keywords, but none of your body text is visible to them. Your site has been made with a template which gels everything into a series of pictures. Search engines cant see or read pictures, so your whole page of text is wasted in that respect. If you dont believe me, pay a visit to this site and enter your url Search Engine Similator

I believe that all top sites are hand written but I know you guys are trying to watch the pennies so with that in mind I'd recommend www.oneandone.co.uk It's not perfect, but it is pretty good and the results ARE reasonably search engine friendly, costs about £60+vat/year inclusive of webspace, email accounts and a domain name. Check out Carols Inspirations which was designed with the website creator, enter her url in the similator and notice the difference. It is entirely up to each individual to decide who they want to have host and design their site, but do it with your eyes open guys. :wink2:
Carols web site is lovely....

However my main concern with hosting a web site is keywords - even if its one the web whos gonna find it without me paying out to search engines to through links to my site?
 

Seanny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
176
Location
Dublin
Louise, you've heard of Liberty Nail Design and The Nail Directory...yeah? *LOL* I designed and optimised them, etc, I havent spent one single penny on search engines, links or anything else with the exception of the money to host the sites and the domain names. No reason for it to be any different for you. However, we're doing well in the search results after a lot of studying, etc but I have posted lots of help both here and in The Nail Directory. It's up to you guys to read through it.
 

Lily

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2003
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
35
Location
Normanton, West Yorkshire
Fab Freak said:
Carols web site is lovely....

However my main concern with hosting a web site is keywords - even if its one the web whos gonna find it without me paying out to search engines to through links to my site?
Hiya Louise,
Techygeek is the man to sort you out!!! Its his job and hobby and life, his wife says she is a comp widow LOL, i'll get him (if he hasnt already) to pm you

Amanda
 

naturalnails

Legend
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
15,180
Reaction score
585
Location
Daventry, Northants (UK)
Hi Louise,

I have created my own website - the very first one I did I used one of the Free Webtools - Tripod, I think. But it was very basic and limiting. I am now on mark 4 I think, now created with FrontPage - a bit like Marmite - you either love it or hate it - I love it at the moment LOL.

Like Sean, it has cost me nothing apart from the small web hosting fee and my domain registration. I have never paid for search engine listing and my site rates a 4 on the Google richter scale LOL. Most nail sites will rate between 0 and 4 out of 10.

My current site has been created with as many of Seans tips as possible - my galleries need a bit more work.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want your nail website to bring you - traffic or customers, and believe me they are not necessarily the same.
 

gracy

nutty geek
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
506
Reaction score
14
Location
uk
they are finding me, my site only went up about 4 weeks ago, with sean`s help of course.
 

techygeek

TechyFreak
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
201
Reaction score
14
Location
Yorkshire
I noticed I received a bad rep point after being accused of hard selling on this website, I think if you check my posts I have not pushed anything I do Web design etc in my spare time so I wouldn't want to be inundated with requests for website building etc...

Yes this is a site about nails, but I'm sure 99.9% of you use pc's of which I know a lot, all I am doing is trying to help people out, I am not the one on this site pushing my services that lies elsewhere if you look.

If you already know all there is to know about web design etc... Then don't read what I post.

My reputation as a pc engineer speaks for itself, as I'm sure yours does as Nail techs, I wouldn't bad rep anyone on a subject I know little about.

Like I said I don't want to offend anyone on this site only help, but at the same time I am not prepared to be slated for any comments I have made as they have only been done with the best of intentions.
 

Lily

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2003
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
35
Location
Normanton, West Yorkshire
techygeek said:
I noticed I received a bad rep point after being accused of hard selling on this website, I think if you check my posts I have not pushed anything I do Web design etc in my spare time so I wouldn't want to be inundated with requests for website building etc...

Yes this is a site about nails, but I'm sure 99.9% of you use pc's of which I know a lot, all I am doing is trying to help people out, I am not the one on this site pushing my services that lies elsewhere if you look.

If you already know all there is to know about web design etc... Then don't read what I post.

My reputation as a pc engineer speaks for itself, as I'm sure yours does as Nail techs, I wouldn't bad rep anyone on a subject I know little about.

Like I said I don't want to offend anyone on this site only help, but at the same time I am not prepared to be slated for any comments I have made as they have only been done with the best of intentions.
Hiya,
Well said Techygeek, you are offering to help out and have given out sound advice esp about viruses.

All i can say is without techygeek's help our personal and business pc would have been inundated with viruse's, i think that your advice on here will be invaluable as eveyone on here uses a pc (otherwise how could they get on the site)

As far as web sites go ours was designed by techygeek and will be launced in the next few days, watch this space:wink2:

Amanda

ps, we are inpartial in this discussion, but i would say if you want a pro looking site then you have to pay handsomely, a just ok site will be cheaper and a basic one will be dead cheap if not free, but at the end of the day its what you want from a web site and the money you can afford.
 

Seanny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2004
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
176
Location
Dublin
Techygeek, I feel those comments were directed at me, so I feel duly obliged to answer. Apologies in advance to Sam and everyone else who's expecting to see nail related stuff here. I'll be as brief as possible.

The bad rep for hard selling? It wasnt me, the only rep points I give out are good ones, there is enough negativity in real life without bringing it in here. If you want to offer your services for sale in here and Sam is ok with that, I have no problem with that whatsoever.

If you are referring to me as 'the one pushing my services' on this site, I'm sure you'll find ample testimony from many nail techs here that the help I offer is all free of charge. I'm here to help these guys improve their sites and get them noticed by the search engines. Period. There is no hidden agenda. I merely made the point about 'search engine friendly' sites to point out to the guys that once they've made a decision to have their site built by some individual, ie, in a particular fashion, with a particular host, etc. They may NEVER get the search results that they were hoping for while using that website, that is a very important fact that I feel should be pointed out to prospective clients. The only option being a complete makeover of the site without being able to use the fancy template that they fell in love with initially. Like I said earlier, these options should be made available to each person before they decide on a new website, not afterward.

--> rant officially over <--

Anyway, that's me done. Apologies for disrupting the thread, I wont post on this thread again or any of Techygeeks threads unless specifically asked to. I think that's fair enough. :D Techygeek, I wish you well in your endeavours.
 

JackieMc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2003
Messages
1,620
Reaction score
102
Location
Dublin, Ireland.
techygeek said:
I am not the one on this site pushing my services that lies elsewhere if you look.
Biting my tongue...... :irked:
 

Lily

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2003
Messages
1,805
Reaction score
35
Location
Normanton, West Yorkshire
JackieMc said:
Biting my tongue...... :irked:
Hiya Jackie,
I think this has gone a little off topic, and not nail related (but we are in chit chat!!!)

We are all pushing our services arn't we?

We are all gratefull (i hope i can speak for everyone, who doesnt have a clue about computers, like me) for any technical advise regards computers. To give techygeek a bad rep point (no fingers pointed at anyone before you shout at me) is a tad childish, we are all adults and should act like it!!! but iguess yu are all aware on my veiws regarding bad rep points anyway???

Amanda

p.s :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: :Love: to all
 

JackieMc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2003
Messages
1,620
Reaction score
102
Location
Dublin, Ireland.
Lily said:
Hiya Jackie,

We are all pushing our services arn't we?
Hi Lily, yes it's off topic (it was brought off topic by TG) and yes we are in Chit Chat but this post was dragged up from almost a year ago for some reason!

I have no problem with anyone pushing their services here, as you said, we all advertise ourselves here, although some more than others, the bad rep point that TechyGeek was talking about (Hard Sell) was from neither Sean or myself, and I'm sure Sam can confirm this to you, the Bad Rep point left calling him a Prima Donna and saying that his comment was unprofessional and uncalled for was from me, and I won't apologise for that - I'm sure if someone unfairly pointed the finger at Herman, you wouldn't be best pleased either .

My objection was to TechyGeek making a comment which was clearly aimed at Sean - now THAT was childish and unwarranted. As Sean has stated, the help he offers Geeks is all FREE, he has no hidden agenda, he has his full time job which pays us more than enough, he doesn't need to go touting for work elsewhere. It's a hobby he enjoys, he has helped dozens of Geeks here with their websites, and now many of them are finding themselves on the first pages of the search engines for the first time ever. He spends hours replying to their emails. I don't like it when someone 'sours' his enjoyment by pointing the finger and making unfair comments.

There now, I've had my say, Sean is in the UK which is why he hasn't banned me from replying, he has answered more than eloquently for himself and probably won't bother posting on this thread (or any other of TechGeek's) again.

I mean no offense toward you Lily, I realise TechyGeek is obviously a friend of yours, but I thought his comment was offensive and uncalled for and it needed addressing.
 

Jaffacake

Malamute Geek!
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
3,308
Reaction score
91
Location
Basildon
he has helped dozens of Geeks here with their websites, and now many of them are finding themselves on the first pages of the search engines for the first time ever.
I can vouch for that!! thanks Seanny XX
 

Latest posts

Top