Website help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becky30

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a website and thinking of a free one to start with. I've done some research and decided on wix.com, has anyone used this and would they recommend. Also, looking into it further, it asks if you want to create a html5 website or a flash one, I don't understand this so what would you suggest, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ok, so ive decided that free websites are rubbish, i dont want adverts on my site and i dont want a silly website address, so i was thinking, could i sign up for a free month at vistaprint and when i get enough money together to pay for a site doing properly, would a site builder be able to take over my vistaprint website and complketely customize to make it totally my own instead of from a template :eek:

ok, so ive decided that free websites are rubbish, i dont want adverts on my site and i dont want a silly website address, so i was thinking, could i sign up for a free month at vistaprint and when i get enough money together to pay for a site doing properly, would a site builder be able to take over my vistaprint website and complketely customize to make it totally my own instead of from a template :eek:

No, a web builder will not be able to take over a vista print site. A web builder could make u a site though and u can transfer ur domain (your www. address) to it. I did my own site though which I love the flexibility of.. I used Moonfruit to do it. They have loads of templetes including beauty ones but I created one from stratch.. it's just a few £ a month :biggrin: Hope thats of some help xx

No, they wouldn't be able to take over you VistaPrint website. If this is what you choose to do for now as it fits your budget, buy your domain address from another site and use it with your vistaprint account. this way you can just use the same domain when you get your website professionally designed.

if you go with a VistaPrint one you usually do not have the option of buying back the domain from them so then once you close your site with vistaprint, clients who have that address will stubble across nothing as you site no longer exists. it will save you a lot of hassle! :)

I have 2 free sites with Weebly and I am more than happy with them. Both have their own domain name that I bought from 123 Reg.com. My neighbour helped me set them up then showed me what to do and it is so easy. Web designers have slagged off my sites but that is because they want to charge me to do one for me. At the end of the day I get a LOT of business from my sites so they will do me for now while I have other expenses going on.

Just don't use moonfruit or a flash site as they don't work well on iPhones & iPads and most people are using them to search with these days.

X

Getting a website is just the starting point, it is no use having a website if you are not going to use some techniques to generate traffic towards the site. (As I learnt the hard way in the past)!

Not many people know of the wide range of techniques that you can use to generate traffic to your site and in turn achieve a higher search engine ranking (I certainly didn't).

Coincidentally, I have just recieved a mailing from a company called Intellimon, which specialize in website design software and traffic generation services. And in this mailing, they are offering a module from their Complete Guide To Traffic training course completely free for Thankgiving. I redeemed my free module last night from a choice of 30, and have learnt so much, and am already applying these techniques to my site. The link they provided was to their Facebook page The Complete Guide To | Facebook, I totally recommend you check it out, as you can never have too much knowledge on this stuff.

Wow it's a lot to take in for a web address, I just want something simple and easy as I'm not good with computers, I was really looking into vista too.... I just can't afford a proper web designer at the mo when starting out!!!!
There's just so many to chose from xxx

Wow it's a lot to take in for a web address, I just want something simple and easy as I'm not good with computers, I was really looking into vista too.... I just can't afford a proper web designer at the mo when starting out!!!!
There's just so many to chose from xxx

If vistaprint is what you want then go with that. It's a simple and inexpensive way to run a website until you can afford a professionally designed one :) just do like I previously said and buy/use your own domain address after that its super simple.

Don't go crazy with traffic flow and blah blah blah, it will take a week or so for google to index your pages and you also have a section on the top right of your menu when you go to design the site that allows you to put in key words. Choose relevant and good ones, your all set after that.

P.s don't give in to vista prints buy more to get a better website. The basics of what it comes with work :hug:

If vistaprint is what you want then go with that. It's a simple and inexpensive way to run a website until you can afford a professionally designed one :) just do like I previously said and buy/use your own domain address after that its super simple.

Don't go crazy with traffic flow and blah blah blah, it will take a week or so for google to index your pages and you also have a section on the top right of your menu when you go to design the site that allows you to put in key words. Choose relevant and good ones, your all set after that.

P.s don't give in to vista prints buy more to get a better website. The basics of what it comes with work :hug:

Brilliant thank you for your help and advice xxx

I can help you out if you like with a professional looking site?

@Jen...

How much is the VP websites then?

I know someone who had one, was paying £7 a month, but was very limited as to what you could do?

I wouldn't touch vistaprint. I've just moved my site. Was costing £20 a month for nothing really. It was hard to use, kept crashing on me so I was losing content and just generally frustrating. I have had mine rebuilt and just pay to have it hosted now through talktalk business £6 a month I get to manage it myself and all the tools etc come free with it. Hth xx

I have to disagree with the vistaprint bashings here. I have my site through them and I also pay around the £20 a month mark and can do LOADS on it.

I have had clients come to me because of how professional they say my site is and choose me over other people because of it and they can't believe it when I tell them I've done it all myself.

I spent months tweaking and even now I regularly update it or add new text, pictures etc and I'm first on Google search results for my area.

I'm very happy with it and whether I own the domain name or they do doesn't matter to me, as at the moment, it works for me, isn't costing the earth and looks professional so No need to go anywhere else

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

@Jen...

How much is the VP websites then?

I know someone who had one, was paying £7 a month, but was very limited as to what you could do?

I'm really not sure what it would be in £ but at the time (and this was three years ago) i was paying close to $30 a month and had unlimited pages, header and footer editing, keyword options etc.

I know they changed it the last few months i was switching out from them and a lot of stuff they try to do as ad-ons. they seem awesome and nice but their just a waste of money. Example, 5.99$ a month got you more keywords up to 100 or 200, 6.99$ a month got you statistics on your site. you get that for free just your not able to know where they live, computer etc you know what time they visited and where in the world there from

They also have something like three different price ranges to choose from. lowest is usually 3-5pages, middle is i think 10pages and the highest is unlimited. again not 100% sure about now. so at £7 your friend might have had the basic and it's exactly that, basic. you can't do much with the template or site.

Latest posts

Back