Website hosting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonnib

Reaction score
does anyone know a good website hosting company.. not to build as i already have that done with my domain so im looking for a hosting company.. i also have a shop on the site if that makes a difference.. thanks

ive spoken to 1 and 1 about hosting has anyone been with them before or now how they are?

Last edited:
Yes, it will make a difference if you have a shop on your site.

That is because most online shops need a database-driven shopping cart, which will require the host to be able to provide you with a suitable database (usually MySQL) and shopping cart software (many of the popular shopping cart solutions are written in PHP, which a lot of web hosts support).

But setting up a site with a shopping cart is usually a lot more work than moving an existing static HTML based website to a new host, as you've got to set up the database and the shopping cart - whereas migrating a static website is usually just a question of moving a few files across using FTP or whatever...

One exception is for very basic shop pages, which are just written in bog standard HTML, with PayPal "Buy" buttons or whatever, which just re-direct to a shopping cart hosted by PayPal rather than you.

hi ruth.. i had to read that like 4 times to understand that :o:o

the shop is cubecart cms if that makes sense to you.. its set up already..

do you think 1 and 1 are ok ..? they said that i should be able to install the existing cms files on the new server.. which ive been told is wordpress and drupal..

hi ruth.. i had to read that like 4 times to understand that :o:o

the shop is cubecart cms if that makes sense to you.. its set up already..

do you think 1 and 1 are ok ..? they said that i should be able to install the existing cms files on the new server.. which ive been told is wordpress and drupal..

Ah right, where do you have the Cubecart CMS files already? Wordpress and Drupal are a couple of PHP-based content management systems that people often use too.

From what I understand, 1and1 are fine though. Good reputation and reasonably priced.

My side of things is very much Java rather than PHP though, so I'm not really an expert on Cubecart, Wordpress, Drupal etc... but if 1and1 say they can do what you need (and you've got it in writing), and the price is right, then they'll be as good as any...

i spoke to their customer service so dont have it in writing..
files are with my current host.. so they will back it up so i can install it.. on the new server which they have said i can call them and they will instruct me how to do it if i have problems

price wise ive been qouted 9.00 a month 20gb

Is that 20GB disc space or bandwidth per month?

hi yes 20bg per month

Talk to a few hosting companies, just tell them your requirements. One company I can recommend for excellent customer service is www.blackfoot.co.uk. They are not expensive.
There are cheaper options but service is not their strong point

Have just checked the prices for bog standard hosting for the people I use for my server co-location - they're cheaper than both 1and1 and Blackfoot - Website Hosting - cPanel Shared Web Hosting - UK Web Hosting - Midlands Web Host | VeloxServ Communications

As for customer service, I can't fault them! They let me drive my server over to them personally last year (I'd ordered it from Dell and installed Linux on it at home before driving it over to them to set up in their server rack) and have always been really helpful when I've had any technical questions (and I'm pretty technical lol)!

Latest posts

Back