Wefts or Clip-In's hair extensions ????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freckles14

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not a hair geek, so I'm not sure on what I'm taking about...

But, I fancy trying out hair extensions, and my friend said if i got wefts she would glue them in for me.. How long would they last?? And where would the best place be to buy them?? :confused: Plus whats the difference between a weft and a weave, if any?

Or I'm i better off getting a full head set of clip ins?? If so, are they easy to put in? Etc...

Thanks in advance for any advice :) :)

Freckles, xx

hey,
thers no difference between a weave or weft they are basicly the same thing just different people call them by different names. if you gt your friend to glue them in and she did a good job they would last about 2 to 3 weeks max!
full head clip ins are good, but obviously they can be taken out and resused as and when you please. they are realy easy to put in plus as time goes by and you get used to them your application time gets faster :)
Hair Extensions. Clip in Hair Extensions. Human Hair Extensions.

I bought a set of clip in extensions for my daughter and she absolutely loves them. I got a full head set (10 pieces) from Sallys for about £40 with my trade card. She's had them about 4 month now and they are in great condition. I can get them in for her in 10 mins, they stay put and she can get them out herself in about 2 minutes with no matting problems etc.

She curls them with her own hair using a styling wand and the effect is brilliant. I'm very impressed with them - far better than I thought they'd be.

Personally, I would NEVER get glued-in extensions. They are messy and sweat can melt the glue! Besides, you cannot wash your hair very frequently. They can also damage hair at the root!! The clip-ins are great and you can always make them yourself. Get the best hair you can afford (preferably hair that can be colored and styled). Cut the long strand to the width you want (for example: ear to ear). You can attach multiple strands together on one set of clips. I have four strands on my clips. You can buy the clips at the beauty supply (get the large ones, they stay in better). My clip-ins run ear to ear and I have 5 clips on them. I have fine hair so you may only need 3. Attach the clips to the hair strands with 5 or 6 stitches on each side. You can have them cut into any style you want.

if your looking for something temporary 2/3 weeks id just get clip extensions.

you can do temporary glued weft ( which i do every once in a while )
but then you have so much hassle of washing the glue out etc..

and if its someone thats not experienced in doing it that may glue it wrong and this can make it harder to remove and possibly pull your hair with it when removing.

I've got a friend who buys clip in extensions, does a cornrow in the back of ther head then stitches in the length of hair (obv takes off the clips first). Is this a good idea? she gets on really well with it and I fancied trying it, as a longer term extension which will be easy enough to take back out?? xx

I've got a friend who buys clip in extensions, does a cornrow in the back of ther head then stitches in the length of hair (obv takes off the clips first). Is this a good idea? she gets on really well with it and I fancied trying it, as a longer term extension which will be easy enough to take back out?? xx

sounds like she sewing in the wefts.. why does she buy the clip in hair and not the wefts if she has to take the clip off anyway.... unless clip in hair is cheaper to buy..

if its the weft part she is sewing into her hair yes this is fine we do this in our salon (alot).. and its the same we braid and then stitch it in.

but we use bulk hair and braid it into your hair and then stitch the weft..
it makes the tracks stronger and less pressure on your natural hair and it last longer..
the bulk hair you can buy from any ethnic shop from £1/£2
its very easy and quick to take out just cut the stitches

hope that makes sense

I bought some clip ins off ebay for £30 for 8 pieces...figured if they weren't right I would just write it off. Where is an ethnic shop? Sorry if I sound dumb....

I am not qualified in extensions but would I be able to offer this is a service in the salon if I got enought practise in? I have done my friends before. I have clients who I know would like this service a lot.

So to recap, all I'm doing is buying clip ins and cutting off the clips. I never thought of buying it without clips, didn't know where I would get that. :) xxx

but we use bulk hair and braid it into your hair and then stitch the weft..
it makes the tracks stronger and less pressure on your natural hair and it last longer..
the bulk hair you can buy from any ethnic shop from £1/£2
its very easy and quick to take out just cut the stitches

hope that makes sense

Sorry again I don't understand what you mean by you braid it into the hair and then stitch the weft? :confused:

Sorry again I don't understand what you mean by you braid it into the hair and then stitch the weft? :confused:

my fault its the same as cornrow lol..:).
and then like what your mate does she stitches in the hair..
it must be on some sort of weft i assume that would be the part she attaches to her hair its just the long part at the top keeping the hair together..
yep you can buy it without the clips maybe it cost more im not sure... it could be why she does it that way..

if you buy the bulk hair and use that to do your cornrows it just makes the cornrows stronger and protects your natural hair..

you can get it from any little shops on high roads that sell hair..

AHHHH ok now I get it. I braid in some loose hair to make a cornrow then stitch the weft into that. Thank you. :)

I dont think there is any shops like that near me, prob need to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh but thank you :) xx

I bought some clip ins off ebay for £30 for 8 pieces...figured if they weren't right I would just write it off. Where is an ethnic shop? Sorry if I sound dumb....

I am not qualified in extensions but would I be able to offer this is a service in the salon if I got enought practise in? I have done my friends before. I have clients who I know would like this service a lot.

So to recap, all I'm doing is buying clip ins and cutting off the clips. I never thought of buying it without clips, didn't know where I would get that. :) xxx

There is no way you should offer this service with no training.
With very little understanding of extensions (these are a variety of extensions =weaves) you could hurt your clients, cause stress spots and even baldness.
There is also the matter that you won't be insured or trained to cut and style them if you manage to attach them.
Why your friend is buying clip-ins and cutting of the clips i cannot fathom. It's cheaper to buy without the clips????)

There are LOADS of courses for weave/weft extensions. Why not do a course?

I think she just went to Sally and bought the clip ins, don't think there was any reason for her getting the clip in rather than without the clips. I understand what you mean about not offering the service...I am going to go on a hair extensions course hopefully after Christmas as its on my Christmas presents list...should learn to not be so impatient!! Thanks for all the advice.

Google as much as you can, You tube and search other extensions stylists galleries.
Also, when you manage to go on a course remember to book one that includes cutting training. (or allow extra expense to book one) It's really important to the finished look and also makes the extensions easier to look after.

When you buy the clip in wefts they are (normally) a £15 weft with clips on.
So if you son't need the clips buy a more expensive weft and get better quality.

Good luck x

Thanks very much. I've been googling a bit tonight already...for hair for myself :)

Salon Services offer a Balmain hair extensions course that I saw, and I have a discount voucher for it too. But I'm still searching. Thanks a lot for all the advice...I get a bit too excited about these things and a bit carried away! xxx

yes i agree with getting training before doing it other people as different methods are for different types of hair etc..

maybe your mate doesnt know you can get it without clips:confused:..

i thought maybe they were cheaper thats why she does... but you might as well just buy the normal weft.. you get about 4 foot width of hair in an average pack so it'l be more worthwhile...

if you google hair extensions weft or something similar you can see prices

Latest posts

Back