Wella KP 12/89 with 12/1 still too warm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonny5

Reaction score
Hi guys so I just wanted ask has anyone ever used a sprinkle of blonder bleach in with the above combo ?
I’m trying to combat a warm root ? ( with out bleaching and toning ) any ideas [emoji362]

What base are you working with?

Red head base 7

Adding bleach to a tint isn't really advisable. Bleach breaks down pigment, Highlift tint has pigment, so what will happen is the bleach tries to eat away at the tone in the colour, and the tint tries to fight it off. But because you've essentially got bleach and 12% in the bowl, the bleach wins the fight. So what you'll end up with is a really foamy weird coloured cream to apply to the hair that's already fought off a chemical reaction which in turn won't oxidise for much longer, because its exhausted from the fight.
If its a level 10 you're trying to achieve I'd say bleach and tone.
If you didn't want to use bleach for whatever reason, then I'd try 10/1 + 10/86 with 12% instead of the Highlift ranges.

Thanks again!! and the way you explain the chemical reaction with bleach and colour was 10/10!

If it’s a natural redhead, you’re better off using bleach and then toning as a redhead has a lot of red pigment in their hair a highlift will never be strong enough to lift it through red/orange.

Adding bleach to a tint isn't really advisable. Bleach breaks down pigment, Highlift tint has pigment, so what will happen is the bleach tries to eat away at the tone in the colour, and the tint tries to fight it off. But because you've essentially got bleach and 12% in the bowl, the bleach wins the fight. So what you'll end up with is a really foamy weird coloured cream to apply to the hair that's already fought off a chemical reaction which in turn won't oxidise for much longer, because its exhausted from the fight.
If its a level 10 you're trying to achieve I'd say bleach and tone.
If you didn't want to use bleach for whatever reason, then I'd try 10/1 + 10/86 with 12% instead of the Highlift ranges.

Hey Ronray. Love your thinking and way of explaining this. Hoping you can kindly explain this a bit more. Why the 10s instead of highlift? Is it because they have more tone? Wouldn’t the lack of lift leave more orange/yellow tones to be exposed over time?

How long are you leaving your high loft tint on for?

Latest posts

Back