What am I doing wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Storme

Reaction score
I am sort of at the breaking point now. After taking a long break from gels I, ordered the NSI trial kit to see if that would be of any use to me and used the natural tips as you all mentioned instead of pre-coloured tips.

I did this on last saturday, everything was fine then thursday only one of my moms nails come off, she showed me and it broke off way after the apex point.

I have no idea what I be doing wrong. My following procedure is...

File nails
Apply CND cuticle eraser, and removed dead tissue and pushed the eponichium back (as shown by finger nail fixer)
Remove shine
Wipe over with scrub fresh
Apply tips (no bubbles created)
Cut and file tips to shape
File away ghost line and buff shine off tips.
Dust excess off, apply nsi bonder to top of nail only.
Apply first layer of NSI builder gel, thinly (like polish) Cure 2 mins
Apply second layer of gel, building apex in the middle of the nail.
Cure two mins
(at this point my mom wanted french tips)
Apply first and second coat of white gel, cure another two mins both layers.
Apply NSI finish clear.
Remove tackey layer with nsi remover.
All whislt sealing in the edges.

My mom works on a computer alot would that make a difference?
I have uploaded two pictures, on on my mothers nails, with the french tip and the second that I did on tuesday following the same routine but just clear have now all apparently come off. Am I doing something wrong?

I have followed the tutorials on here offered by Geeg to the letter too.

I am sort of at the breaking point now. After taking a long break from gels I, ordered the NSI trial kit to see if that would be of any use to me and used the natural tips as you all mentioned instead of pre-coloured tips.

I did this on last saturday, everything was fine then thursday only one of my moms nails come off, she showed me and it broke off way after the apex point.

I have no idea what I be doing wrong. My following procedure is...

File nails
Apply CND cuticle eraser, and removed dead tissue and pushed the eponichium back (as shown by finger nail fixer)
Remove shine
Wipe over with scrub fresh
Apply tips (no bubbles created)
Cut and file tips to shape
File away ghost line and buff shine off tips.
Dust excess off, apply nsi bonder to top of nail only.
Apply first layer of NSI builder gel, thinly (like polish) Cure 2 mins
Apply second layer of gel, building apex in the middle of the nail.
Cure two mins
(at this point my mom wanted french tips)
Apply first and second coat of white gel, cure another two mins both layers.
Apply NSI finish clear.
Remove tackey layer with nsi remover.
All whislt sealing in the edges.

My mom works on a computer alot would that make a difference?
I have uploaded two pictures, on on my mothers nails, with the french tip and the second that I did on tuesday following the same routine but just clear have now all apparently come off. Am I doing something wrong?

I have followed the tutorials on here offered by Geeg to the letter too.

The 2 biggest things that jump out at me that could be a problem are....

I know it's a trial kit and to be honest this is one of the reasons I don't like trial kits but if you have a look at your products, you will see you are mixing products.
I truly believe that it is very important that techs use the same brand for every step, where as in this case you are using CND products.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is anything wrong CND products, it's just CND products were manufactured to go with their gel line and NSI products were manufactured to go with their gel/products line and both companies tried and tested their products as a system to get the best results.
So this could be playing a part in your problems, I would give some serious thought to buying NSI Vanish cuticle remover and Nail Pure and Cleanse, sometimes you can but them in a pack and save money.

The next thing is, it's possible you are not putting enough product on. I know you said you did your apex layer but I would suggest after this step adding another layer or more product to your apex area because with your mums nail cracking off where it did, it sounds like not enough product was applied to give it strength.

If they have all cracked like this since you redid that one repair, then this is more than likely your problem.
If they have all come off as a whole nail, then it's the mix of products, not using the primer correctly or again the nail being too thin and maybe even your light.
How old are your bulbs?

It's very hard to trouble shoot problems when a system is not being used as a system, so this is the first thing I would suggest changing and then take things from there.

I've used NSI for many many years now and I find their products great quality but I only ever use NSI products, I never add in anything else and this reduces the chances of problems.
When I say I never used anything else, I'm talking about the system products, not things like lint free pads, toweling etc (I use Soft Landings towels).

Hi two things are you sure you are removing all the cuticle remover and when you say you are using bonder on the top of the nail are you applying it on the natural nail as that is where it should go.xx

I just found your post in the critique section with the pics attached.

I can now confirm that the suggestion I made about your nails not being strong enough and not enough apex built up, looks to be the case.
The nails in the pics are very flat, you need to add more product, especially in the apex to give it strength.

Plus look at the other suggestions I made too.

HTH's

I shall try another layer of gel then.

My moms are still on apart from that one which I have replaced now but was shocked when this woman came and said hers came off in three days and is asking for a refund.Which I don't understand when mine are still on and I did mine a day after hers, my moms are on apart from one.

But it makes me wonder because she said she is a head chef and isn't aloud them at work, so I wonder if her boss has seen them and told them off?

With NSI's Balance Bond Gel primer, it can go over the entire nail incl the tip and it is recommended to do so.
Make sure the natural nail has good coverage though.

With CND's cuticls eraser, isn't this the one that needs to be deactivated with water?
If this is the case, either way, it could be affecting your service as NSI steps do not include having water added to the nail to wash of any cuticle products (Vanish by NSI).
We remove it by using Cleanse and making sure you give the nail a good rub and use a clean lint free pad on at least every second nail and then Nail Pure the nail before adding tips.
So it could be the moisture in the nail that's not helping if the client has not dried their nails enough.
Or...
it could be the other way around and if you are not removing the CND cuticle Eraser with water, you could be leaving some behind and this will affect adhesion.
This goes back to using a system as an entire system, NSI was not made using a mix of CND products and vice versa:)

I didn't even know it had to be removed with water I was removing it with scrub fresh.

I just spoke to the lady as she came back for a refund. She said the one just come off, and she said the rest jus split down the middle.
Also there was loads of the gel left on her nails, near the top of the nails.
Any advice for that?

Latest posts

Back