What are hair stylist wages nowadays?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

387 hair

Reaction score
:rolleyes:Hi there, got a new salon in stockport...Just wondering what the wages to employe stylist are....Got a woman wanting to work 2 days per week average takings between £300 - £500 per week...What should basic be and then commision and on what basis the commision works..Also self employed basis...or where i can find this information......

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP!!!!!!!

cheers

have a look on job centre plus in your area and see what they are paying??
i think its normal to pay min wage then 20% of there earning after they have doubled?? htms xxxxx

do you give 20% commision on whole takings or whats left after they have double there wage... if thats make any sence:green:

do you give 20% commision on whole takings or whats left after they have double there wage... if thats make any sence:green:

on whats left, they have to earn there wage, then same again, then whatevers left they get 20% off, that way you get a good profit and they work very hard to get a bonus,
i have worked this for this wage before and it does push you to talk clients into colours/products ect.......
so if they earn £500.... say there wage is £150?.... they get 20% 0f the £350,, which i think:confused: is £70?? i may be wrong lol
so they take home £220.... x

thanks for you help

that doesn't sound correct - if they earned 500 you pay 220? that's almost 50%!
You said they would first earn double their wage - so if their wage is 150 then have to earn 300, after that they get 20% of remainder.
So if they made 500 - its 20% of 200 which is 40 - so their total wage is 150 + 40 = 190. (That's a very generous wage for only earning 500 so I don't think you'd get that in most salons).

I agree with Jack...I was thinking geez am I stingy?

I have a girl about to qualify and she will be going on a low wage, resonable commission until we build her up some clients...this means her day rate is low if she has no clients in but if she is busy, we both will have more money.

For example I would maybe have her on £40-50 a day...if she then brings in £100 she would get 10% off anything over this...so if she brings in £200 her wages up to £60 a day, £300 in salon would make her £70 etc etc.

I think this is fairly reasonable.

that doesn't sound correct - if they earned 500 you pay 220? that's almost 50%!
You said they would first earn double their wage - so if their wage is 150 then have to earn 300, after that they get 20% of remainder.
So if they made 500 - its 20% of 200 which is 40 - so their total wage is 150 + 40 = 190. (That's a very generous wage for only earning 500 so I don't think you'd get that in most salons).

ok so i am bad at maths, i contradicted myself there didn't i??
yes it is 20% of the remaining 200....... after the wage is doubled!
that is the norm for alot of salons in st helens

Ok fair enough - is that assuming that you pay 50 pound a day?

i just gave an example....
its min wage,, (whatever that is) (5.77?? an hr)
so whatever that works out as over the week/month
than the commision xx

Ok thanks.
I am based in Ireland you see and we have to take into account the following:
Say the stylist earned 1000
The employer has to pay 15% tax on that leaving 850.
Then say employee's basic wage is €288 for the week (40 hours).(that's below minimum wage but its before commission)
The employer has to pay 10% of basic wage PRSI, 8% holiday pay, 1% levy - so that's basically 20% extra just for having an employee. - so that's another €70 on top of employer's costs - so 850-70 = 780 remains of takings.
12% commission on takings after tax is paid to employee so that's 850 * 12% = 102.
So employees total wage for working 40 hours and earning 1000 for the salon is 288 + 102 = €390.
So the emlpoyer pays 390 to employee being left with 390 - so its fair to say that the normal pay is 50/50! (on a good week)

Ok thanks.
I am based in Ireland you see and we have to take into account the following:
Say the stylist earned 1000
The employer has to pay 15% tax on that leaving 850.
Then say employee's basic wage is €288 for the week (40 hours).(that's below minimum wage but its before commission)
The employer has to pay 10% of basic wage PRSI, 8% holiday pay, 1% levy - so that's basically 20% extra just for having an employee. - so that's another €70 on top of employer's costs - so 850-70 = 780 remains of takings.
12% commission on takings after tax is paid to employee so that's 850 * 12% = 102.
So employees total wage for working 40 hours and earning 1000 for the salon is 288 + 102 = €390.
So the emlpoyer pays 390 to employee being left with 390 - so its fair to say that the normal pay is 50/50! (on a good week)

wow super confusing!! lol
glad i work for myself mobile lol x

Latest posts

Back