What are your opinions on Sally Hansen Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahmorg1

Reaction score
Do any of you out there have an opinion on Sally Hansen Nail colours?

In particular the Maximum growth range.

I am looking to increase my nail colour range and find the colours they offer really nice, but am interested to know if they are good are lasting on the nails before chipping etc?

Thanks

They're not a professional brand, I personally wouldn't entertain the idea of having a product range that my clients can easily buy from the high street.

hth's

If your a professional, stick with professional brands, they are professional for a reason.. If you are not a professional, STILL, Stick with professional brands. You are obviously concerned with quality, so stick with professional..

I'm not a professional yet, but am looking into doing courses etc, so that I can become a mobile professional in my area.

What brands would you recommend?

I understand that OPI and Creative are good?

Thanks

I'm not a professional yet, but am looking into doing courses etc, so that I can become a mobile professional in my area.

I understand that OPI and Creative are good?

Thanks

I love Creative in every way shape and form!! OPI is good, but make sure you buy lots of polish thinner because your gonna need it.. I am also a big China Glaze fan.. That is mainly what I use, and always, always use a base coat and a top coat..

Personally speaking, I love Essie polishes, but I know that both Creative and OPI also come highly recommended from lots of geeks on this site.

I have heard Essie is good too, but I have never used it before..

My personal recommendations would be Creative, OPI, Zoya and Mavala.

Do a search for 'favourite nail enamel', I'm sure there have been threads about it recently.

hth's

Personally I don't rate their products ... or rather the lack of professional advice that goes with them. So often people think they have weak nails and use a nail strengthener designed for weak nails. However what they really have are brittle nails which are actually usually very strong, they just lack oils to make them flexible and thus tough. Therefore they use the wrong product and their nails get worse. It would be the equivalent of using a shampoo designed for dry hair on someone with greasy hair.

I would stick with a good professional brand, again think of it like hair ... would you be impressed to go into a hair salon and for them to use Pantene or Herbal Essences on you, and try and retail it to you? OTC products tend to contain cheaper ingredients and more fillers so they can be sold more cheaply to the public.

Buy one of each of the above named professional brands and see what you like. Everyone is different in their preferences.

Wow all this is advise is fantastic and totally makes sense.

Looks like I will be having an expensive outlay on nail polish, before starting to go mobile.:eek:

Can you recommend stockists of your favourite polishes.

Thanks again
Sarah

I have tried their metallic range, and the colours were very true, cant remember if they were long lasting or not though.

It look really good if you can stick to one range, but at the end of the day variety is the spice of life, and as women we can enjoy that. At the moment go with your purse and you can decide later on if you wish to stick to one range or mix.

goodluck

A few of my older clients have come to me having used Sally Hansen products religiously before hand. Like Sass says, they think theyve got weak nails when infact they havent, but they dont know that, there is nobody to advise them, so in alot of cases the problem is made worse!

I think the products are naff, jmho though!

Some of my ladies came to me with a thick build up of product that needed soaking off :eek:. This shouldnt be the case as its really only a varnish and should be easily removed with polish remover!

Anyway, thats my 2 cents! xxxx

OPI colours are lovely and stay put well, the brushes are beautiful as well which make for easy application xx

I love Creative in every way shape and form!! OPI is good, but make sure you buy lots of polish thinner because your gonna need it.. I am also a big China Glaze fan.. That is mainly what I use, and always, always use a base coat and a top coat..
I am astounded at your comment regarding," if using OPI then buy lots of polish thinner,you're gonna need it":eek:.

We use OPI in our salon and rarely need any polish thinner,in fact I can hand on heart say that we have had one little bottle of OPI thinner in the salon for as long as I can remember.

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions but I think this is a bit OTT,sorry.

Going back to the main thread OPI,Creative and Orly are all wonderful polishes.

Whereas Sally Hansen may be a lovely polish it isn't a professional product and therefore would be difficult to retail in a salon being as the client can buy it virtually anyway...Asda,Boots,local chemist.It dosn't look good from a therapist/nail tech point of view retailing/using in a salon, a non professional product,that one can buy anywhere.

I think I will try OPI first and get a few bottles of that to try. I have seen that Ebay are doing it from £1.99 to £4.99. Is that price about right???

I always have my nails painted and as I have to run around after 2 small kids, it is a good way to try each brand before I decide which to stock up on.

Any idea's on which stockist to use once I do decide??

Thanks

Whereas Sally Hansen may be a lovely polish it isn't a professional product and therefore would be difficult to retail in a salon being as the client can buy it virtually anyway...Asda,Boots,local chemist.It dosn't look good from a therapist/nail tech point of view retailing/using in a salon, a non professional product,that one can buy anywhere.

Thanks Babs for your comments, after i have done my courses, I do plan to be mobile only and not in a salon. Would you still recommend not using a brand that can be bought OTC.

Thanks

Thanks Babs for your comments, after i have done my courses, I do plan to be mobile only and not in a salon. Would you still recommend not using a brand that can be bought OTC.

Thanks
Oh goodness yes,for all the reasons I mentioned before,it does not look good to clients if you pull out a Boots 17 or other OTC brand.

These polishes IMO do not last anywhere near as long as professional polishes.

Sally's sell OPI however they aren't as cheap as Ebay or QVC,the reason being is firstly your polish (if brought from Ebay)could be old,2nd hand,used or not OPI at all.So if you try to use your new,or not so new polish,freshly brought from ebay,your paint job could be naff.The polish could be gloopy or anything.

Also the colours usually sold on QVC are discontinued and that is why they are so cheap.So the client is NOT getting up to date colours.

There is a starting order with OPI if you have a rep visit you,not sure what the starting price is,but for starters I would stick with Sally's.As I have said they aren't as cheap but....at least you know they're brand spanking new and sealed.:green:

I think I will try OPI first and get a few bottles of that to try. I have seen that Ebay are doing it from £1.99 to £4.99. Is that price about right???
I wouldn't recommended buying enamels from Ebay that were to be used on my clients, you never know whether you're getting the real deal or not.

Let's be honest, the professional price isn't that different and you know you're getting the real thing.

hth's

Thanks again Babs

As it happens I have a Sally's that is in walking distance from my house, so I will go there.

:lol:

Latest posts

Back