What are your opinions on Sally Hansen Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A professional stocking Sally Hansen's is like a hair salon stocking Fructus or Head and Shoulders. Personally, that would freak me out :)

I am astounded at your comment regarding," if using OPI then buy lots of polish thinner,you're gonna need it":eek:.

We use OPI in our salon and rarely need any polish thinner,in fact I can hand on heart say that we have had one little bottle of OPI thinner in the salon for as long as I can remember.

Obviously we are all entitled to our opinions but I think this is a bit OTT,sorry.

Going back to the main thread OPI,Creative and Orly are all wonderful polishes.

Whereas Sally Hansen may be a lovely polish it isn't a professional product and therefore would be difficult to retail in a salon being as the client can buy it virtually anyway...Asda,Boots,local chemist.It dosn't look good from a therapist/nail tech point of view retailing/using in a salon, a non professional product,that one can buy anywhere.

I am sorry if I offended you.. I guess I should say, I have not had luck with OPI, but do love the way it applies along with the brush shape, but as it gets used and starts getting thick, I do have problems..

I live in Montana,US and OPI is not a popular product here as it doesn't seem to work the same. I only know this from running a distributor. People coming from the south that use OPI L&P and try it here and end up switching to Creative. Well, as far as L&P, not sure about polish but I guess thats possible too.. I'm thinking dry or cold climate maybe.. So I'll keep my opinion to OPI use 'IN' Montana.

I'm thinking dry or cold climate maybe.. So I'll keep my opinion to OPI use 'IN' Montana.
I live in Valencia, Spain (hot hot hot in the summer!) and use mainly Creative enamels as well as OPI, no problem with the heat here, providing they're kept in the right conditions in-between clients.

I stock and use OPI.. (never had to thin it..:)) BUT if i see a colour that i like in another brand i will grab it.. as long as its proffesional and not otc.. because i am a professional eh??!!:green:

Honestly Sally Hanson products are crud.. mutton dressed up as lamb.. I have one bottle of that brand that i bought on a whim because it was chrome.. i bought it from my chemist in a bargain bin.. i used it on my toes.. laid like concrete and was harder to get off then a slab off concrete!! left stains on my nails and skin from where i had to rub it off!!

came in handy when i remodelled my kitchen though, used it over gap filler between my stainless steel splashbaord and oven.. and three years later its still as bright and shiny as the day i used it! true story!!
:green:

I am sorry if I offended you.. I guess I should say, I have not had luck with OPI, but do love the way it applies along with the brush shape, but as it gets used and starts getting thick, I do have problems..

I live in Montana,US and OPI is not a popular product here as it doesn't seem to work the same. I only know this from running a distributor. People coming from the south that use OPI L&P and try it here and end up switching to Creative. Well, as far as L&P, not sure about polish but I guess thats possible too.. I'm thinking dry or cold climate maybe.. So I'll keep my opinion to OPI use 'IN' Montana.
It's ok,I just thought it a bit unfair to say that about OPI being as I have never experienced it,no probs though chuck and I'm not offended personally:hug:

Make sure after you have loaded your brush with polish that you wipe the side of brush on inside of the neck of the bottle,rather than on the actual rim,it may be that you are clogging the neck of the bottle and you're allowing brush to get gloopy and air to get into the bottle where the lid dosn't do up properly.This may help stop the gloopiness.HTH xx

came in handy when i remodelled my kitchen though, used it over gap filler between my stainless steel splashbaord and oven.. and three years later its still as bright and shiny as the day i used it! true story!!
:green:

That is hilarous!!!!!

I have bought a bottle of OPI, Zoya, Mavala, Orly and Creative, let the testing begin :eek:

Thanks

I have been trying to find some research on this but cant seem to find anything. After the sham of a client the other day, i was wondering if it is possible to soak the nails before doing acrylic or gel. I was only thinking of soaking in warm ater but will this affect the nail bed that will prevent the product from sticking to the nail bed. I was not taught this technique at college but after joing salon geek, i have read about this. So, would it be possible to do this.
Also, is there anything else i could use instead of scrufresh? is it just as good to use warm water?
Laws.:eek:

I have been trying to find some research on this but cant seem to find anything. After the sham of a client the other day, i was wondering if it is possible to soak the nails before doing acrylic or gel. I was only thinking of soaking in warm ater but will this affect the nail bed that will prevent the product from sticking to the nail bed. I was not taught this technique at college but after joing salon geek, i have read about this. So, would it be possible to do this.
Also, is there anything else i could use instead of scrufresh? is it just as good to use warm water?
Laws.:eek:

HIya, you need to start a new thread about this as this one is about using Sally Hansen products in the salon. You will get more answers that way :hug:

A professional stocking Sally Hansen's is like a hair salon stocking Fructus or Head and Shoulders. Personally, that would freak me out :)

It pleases me when someone voices what I was thinking.
If anyone wants the least bit of respect as a professional, they should at least use professional products ..... until then ....... IT'S DOMESTIC !!!!! To be honest this is one of the reasons I have total disregard for OPI polishes (no matter how good they are), they have turned a professional product into a domestic one , readily available to the public ....SHAME ON OPI in their grab for the dollar

nailzoo said:
SHAME ON OPI in their grab for the dollar!!

What is wrong with making some money??? If you have to sell your soul for a 'fast buck' then, OK, question it.

They are selling polishes! They are not selling professional products! I can't begin to comment on the market in your country but the professional market here is struggling (as some recent events have proved).

What is wrong with selling non-professional products in selected retail outlets? I agree that a 'high street' brand that plays no part in the professional business should stay 'high street'. But selling polishes to help keep a company solvent? Why not?

The ideal world is segregating professional and retail. Have the worlds biggest professional hair brands done it (L'Oreal and Wella)? No. It's the choosing how to do it is the clever bit and many of the worlds pro nail brands would love to know the secret!

Don't knock clever commerce

It pleases me when someone voices what I was thinking.
If anyone wants the least bit of respect as a professional, they should at least use professional products ..... until then ....... IT'S DOMESTIC !!!!! To be honest this is one of the reasons I have total disregard for OPI polishes (no matter how good they are), they have turned a professional product into a domestic one , readily available to the public ....SHAME ON OPI in their grab for the dollar

I can agree with this as i stock OPI polishes and have a really hard time retailing them as they are readily available cheaper at price attack.. My clients see the colour they like at my salon and then buy from there..
basically they window shop with me.. I outlayed alot of dosh a last year to get a complete colour range, and now im stuck with polishes i wont ever use.. which is why im thinking of offloading the lot and changing to Creative colours.. that way at least it will be harder to find, and i may be the only stockist!

What is wrong with making some money??? If you have to sell your soul for a 'fast buck' then, OK, question it.

They are selling polishes! They are not selling professional products! I can't begin to comment on the market in your country but the professional market here is struggling (as some recent events have proved).

What is wrong with selling non-professional products in selected retail outlets? I agree that a 'high street' brand that plays no part in the professional business should stay 'high street'. But selling polishes to help keep a company solvent? Why not?

The ideal world is segregating professional and retail. Have the worlds biggest professional hair brands done it (L'Oreal and Wella)? No. It's the choosing how to do it is the clever bit and many of the worlds pro nail brands would love to know the secret!

Don't knock clever commerce

So it's OK for your supplier to destroy a market for you (your retail market)? Maybe all suppliers (your perhaps) should sell all of their stuff at Boots or the local Pharmacy, then see how you feel.
Where is the line between professional and domestic?
Maybe it's different in Aus, but many turned their backs on OPI when they went public with their polishes.

People that come in the salon tell me that the nail strengthener is good, it hardens the nails so hard that they all shatter and break off !!!!
Top Result....Not :lol:

I've had 3 clients that have used Sally Hansen hardener on their nails and they came back to me with saffron yellow nails. Yuk! That was back at the end of spring and one of them has only just lost the discolouration as she has really long nail beds and has had to have polish for ages over her P&W's, she was really upset.

Wouldn't advise anyone to use it personally.

So it's OK for your supplier to destroy a market for you (your retail market)? Maybe all suppliers (your perhaps) should sell all of their stuff at Boots or the local Pharmacy, then see how you feel.
Where is the line between professional and domestic?
Maybe it's different in Aus, but many turned their backs on OPI when they went public with their polishes.

The fact of the matter over here is, that if WE as professionals are selling the polishes at the RRP then so are boots etc - so what choice does the client have other than a walk down the high street to ANOTHER shop, convenience says they will buy from us!!

Boots cant advise on skin tone and what colour polish matches!

I personally dont see a problem with OPI being available in high street stores at the same price.

Lets face it - yes I'm going to say the dreaded 'E' word - EBAY has made THOUSANDS of professional products available to everyone.

As for Sally Hansen and the original thread, I have had many many new clients that used this religiously and have got very brittle nails, I hate it with a passion and think its a load of rubbish!:irked:

Sally Hansen is good for one thing...........bringing clients with bad nails to me so that I can retail them lovely Solar manicure products!!!
I wouldnt rec anyone use the products or use anything available OTC.
OPI polishes have great colours - personally I'm not mad about them as I think they thicken quickly. I dont think that Creative are more expensive then any other make and they retail sooo well as they are excellent.
If you are really short on cash why dont you try Orly? I love Orly polishes and treatments and they're very reasonable you can get them from Graftons.

I hate Sally Hansen products, they are awful stuff, i know from experience many of the products yellow your nails and the strengthner seems to work for a whiel then you realise its actualy making your nails brittle and they snap. this was years ago, so thought maybe it has improved and changed lately then...

my nan spoke to me 2 weeks ago, wondering did i have any advise for her about her nails, due to a medical condition she has extreme koilonchia and weak flaky nails, they almost grow back on themselves the spoon shape is soo curved on them,they seem to fold over almost when they reach the bulbous part of finger. and they are so weak and flake if theres a bit of length, hence she always keeps them filed very short, anyway she'd seen this new wonder miracle cure Sally Hansen stuff, strengthener and miracle grow or something and paid £8 a bottle each (omg) and thought it was amazing, within 2-3 weeks her nails are growing stronger so although still spoon shaped, they grow past ends of her fingers and are looking much better, and her nails felt rock hard!! then she knocked one, snap, half the nail came off and then she noticed they were starting to look yellow and discoloured, she asked me to shorten them right down again and we gave them good manicure and buffing etc, then i bought her some solar oil, (she is addicted to smell lol)

spoke to mum yesterday, she is so happy with results, she said they look so much better and feel stronger without feeling rock solid, so she knows its much better than the SH stuff, she is raving about the stuff to everyone she sees lol

i wouldnt use sally hansen stuff ever again,

i also totally agree, tat you shouldnt be using non-professional products on clients, i mean if you pull out a rimmel or no7 polish, they aint gonna pay you to put it on them or buy it from you, when thye can pop to boots and slap it on themselves during lunch.

it has to be professional all the way

Nicky xx

Latest posts

Back