What are your thoughts-Shellac tiny tunnels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inky81

Reaction score
Shellac is designed to cure with micro tunnels within it to facilitate easier removal. So if there are micro tunnels bacteria will be there too. No amount of hand washing gets it out

Actually, if you read any study on this, you will see that artificial nails harbor more bacteria and fungi. The reason? Artificial nails, no matter how well they are applied, have a space between the acrylic and the real nail it's stuck to. This space which might be impossible to see with the naked eye, is all the space it takes for bacteria to enter and for fungi to flourish.

It has nothing to do with "on and under" and it has nothing to do with long/sharp/skin tears. The bacteria grows IN the acrylic. So the acrylic shellac long lasting nail "polish" has the same danger. You can't wash the bacteria off or clean it off by keeping "on and under" clean because it is growing IN the acrylic.

I have no knowledge of bacteria able to digest acrylic polimers, but if you have please show me the scientific article discussing it. Or the size of the microtunnels, which maybe are too small for bacteria ro fit them... you know there is a great size difference between an acetone molecule and a bacteria, not to mention fungi...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Shellac is designed to cure with micro tunnels within it to facilitate easier removal. So if there are micro tunnels bacteria will be there too. No amount of hand washing gets it out

Actually, if you read any study on this, you will see that artificial nails harbor more bacteria and fungi. The reason? Artificial nails, no matter how well they are applied, have a space between the acrylic and the real nail it's stuck to. This space which might be impossible to see with the naked eye, is all the space it takes for bacteria to enter and for fungi to flourish.

It has nothing to do with "on and under" and it has nothing to do with long/sharp/skin tears. The bacteria grows IN the acrylic. So the acrylic shellac long lasting nail "polish" has the same danger. You can't wash the bacteria off or clean it off by keeping "on and under" clean because it is growing IN the acrylic.

We do not nor cannot live in a sterile environment. There are bacteria all around us and in us also, some good, some bad.

Once the correct disinfection and sanitation protocols are followed in the salon and the nail technician follows correct prep/pep during the procedure using a high quality system there is no cause for concern.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/182520-science-topic-sanitation-salon.html?highlight=hygiene

Not sure where this is heading, but if you could give me the title/s of the scientific papers you have read on this subject I would be interested to read them. I believe Doug Schoone would have papers backing up the science behind various products, (I may not have spelled his name correctly) and I'm sure many of the people who use these products daily, will be eager to see the results of your research.

Sorry u misunderstood, I am just asking what people think. I have had clients lately saying there is a lot of bad press about nails so I have been doing some reading on forums and stuff. This was all from a nursing forum. It's the same with this whole thing about u.v lamps. I have clients asking if they should wear sun screen on there hands because of sun damage to there skin.
I was just wondering if there is any truth to it all. I like to be confident when I tell my clients things that they are true to the best of my knowledge
Xxx

Not a problem. If you're seriously worried about hygiene etc, there are a couple of fantastic threads running at the moment. Don't go reading random bits and bobs, go straight to the experts - Nigel Rouse for Mundo, local government office for their guidelines on sanitation in the work place. Btw, I use Mundo all the time, and my clients say how impressed they are with my hygiene routine ( I mean for my tools etc :smack: )But I still keep up to threads on here as best I can. Hth :)

I use barbacide on my tools, and everything is stainless steel. I'm not so worried about hygiene in that respect, it was more about the wearing of enhancements. I mean, I don't use acrylic I'm a gel girl now days but when people pose the question about that sort of thing because or an article in the paper they have read about nails or a programme they have watched I like to have my i's dotted and my t's crossed. I hate looking unprofessional by not knowing the answer to that type of question. Any ideas of what to read on the subject then ? I mean, I did my training 16 years ago. Things constantly change in the industry and I try to keep up. God when I started I was doing silk wraps !
Xxx

I don't even think about it.

I trust CND and Doug implicitly. No way would they bring out something potentially hazardous, even slightly.

anyway what "acrylic long lasting shellac nail polish?" It's NOT acrylic, so it's not IN the acrylic whatsoever, no acrylic there.

Any links about other products like acrylic and hard gel ?
Thanks
Xxx

Latest posts

Back