What are your views on selfmade body scrubs for use in the spa?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade Partridge

Reaction score
I am about to bring body scrubs into the spa I am working in, what are peoples opinions of self made scrubs?
The last salon I was at used to make them and I find its a much nicer way to do it since there are so many fab recipes online and you can mix them up to fit the clients needs but the spa is in a 4*superior hotel....
If i was to buy them in what would you reccomend?

I think self made scrubs are lovely and you can personalise them for each client by adding in essential oils, plus making up a small amount means they are always fresh. I would certainly be impressed if a spa made up a personalised scrub for me every time I had a treatment (plus gave me the leftover to take home!). I make up my own body balms and oils for massage and I customise masks for my clients. If you decide to buy in, Raw Earth Pinks Boutique products do organic body products with nice packaging.

I make and sell body products and you have to go through many legalities such as safety assessments, stability tests to legally be allowed to take them to market.
If you aren't selling them but just making them for treatment use then I'm not sure exactly but I would be extremely careful! Maybe ask your insurance provider, if you aren't qualified to make skincare and the products haven't been tested then I would be worried about your status should someone have a reaction.
Sorry to put a dampener on it!

They only have to be EU certified if you're selling them. But if just making them for a treatment it should be ok.

I went to a lovely spa once and had a body scrub / massage that looked like they made it themselves. It was brilliant. I would love that much more than a scrub out of a bottle.

Edit: just re-read Jemfox's reply. Never thought of that, good point. I'd check with your insurers to see if they're ok with it.

Jade, as you are in Austria you don't have to worry about the same level of health and safety as in the UK. It's the same situation as mixing aromatherapy oils for use in a treatment. That would be very nice to mix it in front of the customer too, nice touch but please use safe ingredients from salon suppliers only :)

My insurance policy covers me to make it, if i wish to sell it i have to get it assessed. I went on a course with plush folly who i will highly recommend, not only is it so much fun to create all these fab scrubs soaps etc its affordable and gives you a good insight into product knowledge within the hair and beauty environment. plus you get a certification. Happy days! xoxo

I think self made scrubs are lovely and you can personalise them for each client by adding in essential oils, plus making up a small amount means they are always fresh. I would certainly be impressed if a spa made up a personalised scrub for me every time I had a treatment (plus gave me the leftover to take home!). I make up my own body balms and oils for massage and I customise masks for my clients. If you decide to buy in, Raw Earth Pinks Boutique products do organic body products with nice packaging.
OOO, I didnt think of making my own masks, what do you use, i make facial masks but not body!

I make and sell body products and you have to go through many legalities such as safety assessments, stability tests to legally be allowed to take them to market.
If you aren't selling them but just making them for treatment use then I'm not sure exactly but I would be extremely careful! Maybe ask your insurance provider, if you aren't qualified to make skincare and the products haven't been tested then I would be worried about your status should someone have a reaction.
Sorry to put a dampener on it!

Oh its fine with my insurance, have already checked. Its more from a clients perspective coming to such a fancy hotel would they like that or would they prefer a known brand, maybe I should provide both!

Thankyou :)

Latest posts

Back