What can cause splitting of nail plate free edge?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chloe Bryan

Belle
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recently trained in October in mani/pedi, shellac. My mother in law has serve diabetes and has always been ashamed of her nails. She asked me to do some regular manicures on her nails with out any polish or gel. We did about 3 then over a few weeks and then she had one shellac as she felt her nails were in better condition. We soaked of the shellac and she had a break for a month. Then she has come to me saying her nails are bad and splitting and marked. I did everything told I'm training, we didn't cause any damage during the treatment. What could it be. Could it be an allergic reaction the shellac or remover? Help!!

Allergic reactions would show on the skin around the nail not the nail itself. Possibly the acetone during soak off has dried out the nail plate maybe hence the splitting. If she has severe diabetes, she will have poor circulation to her fingers and so her nail plates will not be in the same condition as non diabetic clients. They take a lot longer to repair and heel this is why we have to be so careful not to cut them, as the cut won’t heel, it ulcerates and they end up with all sorts of problems. Anyway I’m just guessing that maybe it’s something to do with the acetone?

Latest posts

Back