What could cause this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just watched a fingernail fixer video- it looks like i was too hard with the stick :( im definitely goin back to other remover now...had awful issues last night removing structure gel and colour it tool way over an hour i had to keep wrapping...... Thanks for all ur advice geeks a lesson learned.....

In the Doug Schoon link above you will see that some people question the evidence. This is because scientists are rarely able study all eventualities.

Think of all the scientists over the world working on cancer treatments and causes. They can identify that certain things may make you more susceptible to cancer (and that changes on a weekly basis if you read the press), but they cannot say with any certainly what causes it.

Clearly damage can be caused by removal. However, for those of us who are sure we are not damaging nails, we still get the occasional client who has white spots that disappear in a few days if left naked. This proves it is not damage as the nail does not repair itself. It also does not behave like damage either i.e. it is gone by the time it gets to the free edge. There is something else that is not caused by removal tools causing this - it could be removal chemicals.

It may be that the scientists are only seeing nails that have been damaged by removal tools and not the rarer type I am talking about. Certainly the idea that dehydration is a myth is yet to be proved to me. Just because one person writes it in a blog, book or whatever does not make it fact. Just because one person writes it does not mean that others should not question.

I am amazed that, since the main selling point of Shellac in particular has always been that it doesn't damage the natural nail because of the non buffing and easy removal, so many of you are now happy to believe you are causing damage, and many of you now think you need a product to cure the damage you are doing.

We could all go on forever about this with all the different opinions etc.
But at the end of the day the guy knows his stuff. He deals with the scientific side of things day in day out.
I'm going to go with what he says on this occasion.
To the op, you have a few opinions. It's entirely up to you with what you decide to do in this situation.
Hope the situation is resolved as soon as possible. Xx

Thanks guys for all- I do think nails can dehydrate as my mams does because she won't use any oil at all (aaaahhhh) but I do think from seeing fingernail fixer video that it could be my removal and I do think it's got harder since I changed remover.... I'll see how we go anyways... Thanks again everyone it's great having this site for all the help!! :)

Part of what aids in continuing education is being open-minded and realize we don't know everything. I like seeing the exchange of ideas on this forum. Since there are multiple reasons for little white spots on the nails, which range from trauma to possible fungal infection (which I don't think is likely in this case), there is no "right" answer here since there's no way to know with 100% certainty, right this minute, what's going on with this woman's nails. We can guess, but that's all we're doing, educated guessing. Preferably doing so with civility and with a helpful spirit for the original poster :Love: After looking at Dough Schoon's posts, site, photos, and conversations with others, and considering the op's client had Shellac on her nails, my educated guess based on the evidence is that her white spots are trauma caused by over-aggressive removal of her previous gel. This means cuticle oil and letting her nails "breathe" (where are the lungs? lol) will do nothing to improve the spots but her nails will definitely be hydrated when she returns for her appt. I'd put gel back on. Thanks to this post I am going to make darn sure I follow the best procedure possible when removing gel so I don't cause damage even to the slightest degree to a client's natural nails. Thanks SG!!

Last edited:
Thanks you bluesmith i just saw this now!!
So to give an update client back and i got ibx at show in dublin last week but it on great result and back in the shellac! Have now gone back to acetone and sweet squared are takin back my unipened bottle of NR. Thanks everyone!! :)

People spend all their time on here saying that Shellac causes no damage on removal, but at the same time you are apparently all admitting that you damage nails when you remove the product. However, some of the damage I've seen in the thread "IBX Before and After" is a disgrace and none of my clients' nails ever look like that. The idea of needing IBX on every client is laughable and a total admission from any tech that they are doing something major wrong. In deed, as you say "every client has slightly different issues", so why give them all the same treatment. Think about it.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this :)

Hi rachel i have only used it on this one person and i didnt have this issue before- i have being applying and removing on this client for months with no issues until i changed remover...i hate doin anything wrong and definitely hope to use ibx on cases that hopefully will be few and far between...... :)

Hi rachel i have only used it on this one person and i didnt have this issue before- i have being applying and removing on this client for months with no issues until i changed remover...i hate doin anything wrong and definitely hope to use ibx on cases that hopefully will be few and far between...... :)

Mimid, it wasn't aimed at you at all hun - sorry if you thought that :( I was agreeing with Juicy Lucy and referring to some of the nails I have seen on the IBX before & after thread xxx

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I have to add something to this whole debate. The majority of my clients have no white spots or anything on their nails when I remove their shellac. One client whose nails look terribly damaged, I can only attribute to age perhaps? When I remove her shellac I solar oil first because her hands look so dry, I only wrap for 6-8 minutes and when I remove the wrap, the shellac literally jumps off the nail in one piece. No stick, no scrubbing. Yet her nails are full of white spots.
My mother, on the other hand, takes twice as long to remove that any other client. It's always a struggle to get her shellac off. No one else, just her. And when I do finally get it off, her nails look absolutely perfect. Not a spot to be found, ever.
My point is that every person is different and I don't think the answer is one size fits all.

When we use nail coating removers to remove gel polishes it also softens up the nail plate. If you use a pusher of any kind, no matter how gentle the touch you will also remove parts of the softened nail plate. It def looks like damage from gel polish removal.
Dehydration is most often a myth. If you were to add water to those nails would the white spots disappear? Think not.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Water dehydrates nails, hench why if u dont use gloves when washing up your nails go bendy and over time if you continue to not wear gloves they will split and break, nails can only be hydrated through oil, and thats why cuticle oil is always sugested. I dont believe that dehydation is myth. It is real and it will cause problems.

Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I have to add something to this whole debate. The majority of my clients have no white spots or anything on their nails when I remove their shellac. One client whose nails look terribly damaged, I can only attribute to age perhaps? When I remove her shellac I solar oil first because her hands look so dry, I only wrap for 6-8 minutes and when I remove the wrap, the shellac literally jumps off the nail in one piece. No stick, no scrubbing. Yet her nails are full of white spots.
My mother, on the other hand, takes twice as long to remove that any other client. It's always a struggle to get her shellac off. No one else, just her. And when I do finally get it off, her nails look absolutely perfect. Not a spot to be found, ever.
My point is that every person is different and I don't think the answer is one size fits all.

I agree, of course. White spots can be caused by nail tech's doing damage removing gel, and it can be so many other things as well, like the client being rough with her nails and causing stress to show up as leukonychia (white spots). Who knows! That's why this forum is so great, we can get help figuring it out :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back