What do you do to set yourself apart?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurate

Reaction score
I'm still working on this!

But, parking is not an issue, so see that as a bonus. Myself and my environment are clean and tidy (trust me, I've seen blatant dirt in salons), A proper mug of beautiful coffee, or tea, various other drinks.

Welcoming and friendly attitude and a high standard of work offered. I also share knowledge and try to educate my clients, without being judgemental or pushey. Professional products used and guidelines followed.

I don't know why, but I still feel I have to think of other things to make people opt for me, but I don't know what else to do.

Ooh i always offer tea/coffee to all, try and spend as much time as possible to talk generally, if they are returning client always try to remember our last conversation just to show that they not just a number! I may not remember their names, but i will remember the conversations :)

Jurate xx

We offer very good coffee/cappachino/herbal and fruit teas etc etc,we offer a personal service and a nice relaxed environment where everyone chats to eachother.
We have an organic product and colour range and get alot of referrals for cancer patients so we take as much time as we need with each and every one of our clients.
And most of my clients tell me they come to the salon firstly because they love the way i do their hair and the way we build a great relationship and then comes the other things.
So most importantly,be yourself,be honest but polite and be confident and your clients will respect you for that more than your coffee :D

I forgot to add, it is always a relaxed atmosphere, with nobody else in the house.

We always offer teas, coffees, juices etc but we also have Champagne Fridays & Saturdays. This works a treat especially if there is a crowd of girls in getting glammed up for their nights out, everyone has plenty fun and the staff really enjoy it as well!

One of our stylists is also a bit of a dare devil when it comes to her hair, at the moment she has Fudge Paintbox Pink hair and everyone ALWAYS asks about it. I don't think there is any Salons in our general area who offer this colour or at least advertise it and since she has gone this colour we've had a few people looking for the same... in fact, there is someone in this Friday! We also offer hair chalking and we are only 1 of 2 Salons in our area who offer this and it goes down a treat for the weekend!!

Craig

we went strategic to set ourselves with both our salons and have now rolled it out into our franchise - we are Gold Salons! Gold Salon Award | Facebook and it has really set us apart - lots of local press coverage and whilst its growing we are the only ones in our area!!
Its quite new - a few years old and growing but clients are starting to recognise it where we are! Hope this helps and happy to share experience - its does cost but inexpensive and for what it cost we would have paid twice for the level of local paper coverage it got us!

we went strategic to set ourselves with both our salons and have now rolled it out into our franchise - we are Gold Salons! Gold Salon Award | Facebook and it has really set us apart - lots of local press coverage and whilst its growing we are the only ones in our area!!
Its quite new - a few years old and growing but clients are starting to recognise it where we are! Hope this helps and happy to share experience - its does cost but inexpensive and for what it cost we would have paid twice for the level of local paper coverage it got us!

Omg that pic of damaged nails :( poor woman! (Just had a snoop around your page :) )

Jurate xx

Hi Craig I do alot of hair chalking on my self and I was just wondering can anyone do it to other people or would I need my insurance to cover hair thanks

To be honest, cups of tea and cake are all very lovely, but in my experience where most salons go wrong is they get so caught up in the frivolities that they forget the basic service. The most important thing is having high quality products and well trained, happy & motivated staff.

So many salons spend a fortune on decor etc yet the therapists are struggling using naff products or trying to provide a service with half the products missing as the owner is too tight to buy in all the products needed, or worse gets in something cheaper as a replacement to save a few quid. No piece of cake is ever going to make up for a cheerless therapist or a lacklustre service with poor results!

A case in point, a few years ago a big day spa set up near me and opened to a fanfare with a garden from Chelsea, hand printed wallpapers, a relaxation area, endless spa teas, glasses of champagne and so forth - it looked amazing, yet within a year it had closed because in all effort to look amazing they forgot the fact that the heart of the experience is the actual service.

I would like to share my thoughts on a recent experience of visiting two different beauty salons over the last month.

Salon no1, is in the main town where there is a lot of competition. They offer an array of treatments with well known brands. My experience of them on my first appointment was being whisked into the room without filling out a record card or having any kind of consultation. It had an air of being hectic when arriving and it was small and cramped in the waiting area/nail desks.
I had my legs waxed and they were on fire on coming home, but I lived! I returned the following day for another 'therapist' to put right the job that should've been done.

Salon no2, in the same town and less than two years old. The receptionist is lovely, remembering my name on the phone and going out of her way trying to fit me in.
The environment whilst waiting is relaxed, even though it has two nail desks and obviously reception. It is clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff are professional and very friendly. They do not shout, laugh out loud with each other, or have conversations about what they are up to at the weekend, whilst you are present (my absolute pet hate in any establishment). They keep you informed and apologise if there is any delay.

All this helped form my first impressions, consciously and subconsciously. The treatments themselves start with a record card, consultation and getting a clear idea of what you want. They made me feel listened to and demonstrated they understood by reflecting back to me.

The standard of work was second to none and way above salon no1. No wonder they are growing and growing, within a town that probably has the highest number of salons.

This experience was invaluable to me, as it showed me how all these things add up to form opinion on you, which can then either work well or against you. Word of mouth is huge where I live.

Hi Craig I do alot of hair chalking on my self and I was just wondering can anyone do it to other people or would I need my insurance to cover hair thanks

As long as your using the correct product and not a pack of pastels you got from the local art shop your current insurance should be fine as chalk is just a temporary colour.

Craig

I think you would have to check with your insurance as you are not a hair professional.

They do not shout, laugh out loud with each other, or have conversations about what they are up to at the weekend, whilst you are present (my absolute pet hate in any establishment).

I agree. I can't stand this. To the under confident client it is so intimidating. I remember when I used to go to salons I'd feel like I wasn't in on the joke. Therapists would have a laugh and a joke with each other, salon manager and some of the regulars, but ignore quieter customers, even though I went for a fortnightly rebalance for about a year I just felt so uncomfortable and eventually gave up! And I'm not under confident at all it just really grates!! Doesn't bother me in hair salons though as they are generally a more noisy atmosphere, but in beauty/nail salons it makes me sit on edge :)

The Gold Salon Award is there to raise the standards in the Nail and Beauty Industry. Some of our Gold Award members have also won Scratch Star awards and other major competitions .

To be honest, cups of tea and cake are all very lovely, but in my experience where most salons go wrong is they get so caught up in the frivolities that they forget the basic service. The most important thing is having high quality products and well trained, happy & motivated staff.

So many salons spend a fortune on decor etc yet the therapists are struggling using naff products or trying to provide a service with half the products missing as the owner is too tight to buy in all the products needed, or worse gets in something cheaper as a replacement to save a few quid. No piece of cake is ever going to make up for a cheerless therapist or a lacklustre service with poor results!

A case in point, a few years ago a big day spa set up near me and opened to a fanfare with a garden from Chelsea, hand printed wallpapers, a relaxation area, endless spa teas, glasses of champagne and so forth - it looked amazing, yet within a year it had closed because in all effort to look amazing they forgot the fact that the heart of the experience is the actual service.

I love this, it reminds me to keep my self in check and has so many amazing points.

I have the most modern and best kit for the job no cash spared, I ensure that it is all as clean as the day it was unboxed at the end of each working day and also make sure I have modern nail tretments... I love to introduce the latest new "thing" to each of my clients so they can either try or just learn about it in time for their next booking.. wether that is Velveteen, Magnetic polish, gel paints or new amazing glitters and techniques.

I also like to wow my client with nail art - if they are not having it I almost always offer the ring fingers free as a demo - clients appear to love this and it sells it self.

I think for each of us personaly we have to find what our little thing is, and accentuate that by using and applying it well.

Latest posts

Back