What do you do when having your own hair coloured?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natsel

Reaction score
hey everyone :) heres the question bit long winded but here goes.

I work in a small out of town salon, there are only 3 stylists including myself. I do most of the colouring , tints, foils and capped highlights the other two stylist I work with only do capped highlights and tints.

After years of colouring my hair I started at the young age of 12 with the wash in/out ones and now im 27 :D . Back in Novemeber 2008 I stopped having all over colours etc has I had alot of build up and wanted to give it a rest. All I have done since then have put some bleach panels in at each side of my hair (did this myself) and the rest of my hair is now back to its natural colour which is between a base 6 and 7 but it does have a lot of underlying warm tones.

Ive decided after all this time to go for a change...Ive recently lost 2 and a half stone and thought its time for the hair to have a change now. Im thinking of having a shade or 2 lighter , a light blonde and maybe another colour as well.
In the past Ive had capped h/l which I could have done in the place I work but my hair is long now and although I can put up with being pulled about , after a fashion it goes to blonde, so thats why I wanted foils .

Ive booked myself into another salon (and im nervous) for two reasons..

1.. Ive been doing some test cuttings on my hair and not one of them apart from the bleach have come out that great.. the highlight tints seem to throw up the warmth in my hair, and the ash colours that Ive tried, well I dont really like the colour.

2..When I go to the salon I'm not sure if I really want to say Im a hairdresser because, I always think the stylist will think why is another h/d coming in to have her hair done etc etc.

I wish I could foil my own hair eekk

So after all that my question is , like me if you work in a small salon and are my position that no one else can foil you hair what do you do? or if your mobile.. do you go else where or try foiling your own hair.

I know personally I like doin other hairdressers hair because they know exactly what they want and know how to explain it. But on the other hand I get nervous because I may be doin it different to how they would do it.

I would personally tell the hairdresser but jus say I've done a dew test pieces then u can brainstorm together and find a colour u like.

Hth

Xx

Hi love,

In my opinion, there is no point in hiding the fact you are a hairdresser because you will be able to discuss your hair with the stylist and work together if you are honest. Just explain that you are unable to get a collegue to do it and that will be enough. :biggrin:

I personally would use bleach with the lowest effective peroxide and then tone the highlights. You can always use a different tone at the roots to even out the colour. Your situation is very simular to mine and that is what I do.

I get the stylist to put the foils in, then I ask them to use a semi or a toner in between the foils so as to not add any more build up as such but freshen the base colour and get rid of residual warmth. The toner is rinsed before the foils are pulled out and then the highlights can be toned afterwards.

Mine takes very quickly and it's all done at the basin. The results are great and I was always taught that bleach and low level peroxide is far less damaging than a highlift tint with 40vol for example.

I hope this helps and I havent read the post wrong and given a completely random answer! Forgive me if I've not made much sense, I've got baby brain (due in two days)!!

Good luck babes xxx

I do my own easimeche but I only do a few and its a couple of shades lighter than my own hair so I'm not too bothered if I don't get that close to the roots. Can't you train your colleagues with foil?
failing that, yes I would go for a colour consultation with another stylist and be honest and open, if they come across as a bit 'narky' try somewhere else. Hope you find an answer.:D

Latest posts

Back