What do you guys think of this situation

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie4156

Reaction score
**Very long post** this is what happened in the college salon today

My sister came in for an ombré today, wanting a 6/3 on roots to a level 8 on the ends, she previously had a regrowth base 4 with colour touch 5/75 blending to magma on the ends for a dip dye effect from approx 4 months ago. The tutor suggested I bleach bath both the 5/75 and magma up to remove the depth and tone using 1 part bleach 3 parts pastel leaving the natural regrowth out. I managed to lift it to the orange stage and had to rinse off before we started to lose the condition of the hair.

(My sister had asked for the colour touch again at the root area because the four months worth of regrowth she had blended out well and was almost not visible as definite 'roots', by no means was she adamant she only wanted colour touch it was just what she'd asked for because she preferred to keep the softer blend at the regrowth, and would have happily moved to the permanent range if it were explained to her that the colour touch range wouldn't have done the job)

To tone I was told to apply 6/3 colour touch with 1.9% on the regrowth, blend in 6/0 + 6/3 colour touch with 4% at a ratio of 1:2 for the middle blend where the top of the bleach cleanse was and were told this would match up perfectly to the 6/3 root area, then to tone the ends with 9/8 koleston to neutralise the strong orange tone.

As i was applying the colour another tutor shouted across the salon 'did you bother to check if the colours your using had more stock?' (She's known to be very rude and blunt to students and clients)

Well where the stock is kept students are not allowed in because of stock going missing etc, and we're never ever told to check stock before we start a colour as they should have a decent amount if stock ordered in especially being a training salon, and they always usually have a full stock anyway so it's something we don't ever have to worry about as students! So anyway I said no I wasn't allowed in there to check because that's the rule and she just smirked and walked off! I went to the dispensary to see what was going on and was told to just get on with my colour and that they were going to sort it out and bring me some more colour over. So the tutor returns saying we've ran out of the colour touch shade and have had to mix the same colour in the permanent range, which my sister was not happy about because of the different fade offs but was basically told after a disagreement over the stock that that's all we've got so put up with it!

So after everything had been applied it was put under heat and then rinsed off after development time, when I had dried the hair off the 6/3 was fine but the 6/0 + 6/3 did not match up at all! It was no where near an even colour to match up to the root area and you could see where the bleach cleanse had gone up to! My tutor who has passed her MCE course assured me it would match perfectly.

When my sister complained about it not having the ombre blend they agreed to book her back in to have the brown root area re done to match it up correctly and blend as an ombré should, without any arguments they just said yes ok that's fine looking smug and with no objection at all. So once my sister had paid and had left the salon my tutor for some reason started ranting how i shouldn't of told the client about running out of a colour etc and how it was unprofessional of me yet it was them that said it across the salon and then explained it was a permanent because they had ran out, not me! She also started to say how a lesson to my sister had been learnt today for being so adamant that she wanted the colour touch and not a permanent and how she should have listened that the result would have been uneven using the colour touch yet this was not explained to me as the stylist or to her as a client. I argued that I wasn't aware the 6/0 + 6/3 would not have matched up because as a training student if a tutor tells you to do something and promises it will match up you have to listen! Obviously if me and my sister were both told an even blend was unachievable during the consultation using colour touch at the root area we would have happily adapted to the permanent range as long as everything blended and matched correctly there would have been no major problem with that it was just a preference to have colour touch as I said.

At this stage I was getting very annoyed that she was blatantly saying I let you apply the wrong colours for the uneven result just to teach your sister a lesson. Now to me I think it's very immature as a tutor to allow a student do a wrong colour service to prove her unnecessary point. I think it was the fact my sister complained about having a permanent on her hair half way through the service that she didn't want, because she was saying to the tutor it may look fine when I leave the salon today but when the colour touch starts fading the permanent will make it look patchy against the fade off. My tutor did not like the fact my sister had something to say about the situation and then must have felt undermined by a client and went off in a huff about it.

All she needed to do was say no it will not be achievable we need to use the permanents and that would be it! She just made a big deal about it exaggerating that my sister was adamant on colour touch and that she was not able to change her mind which is untrue as she never explained to her the options. I feel terrible my sister isn't happy and I have lost confidence doing colours now and also no longer trust the tutors anymore because behind my back they knew it would turn out wrong and they just let me carry on with it. I have never had any issues like this before so I feel very stressed out about it all. My sister was not rude or pushy towards her at all and should not have been treated this way :(

My sister wants to complain they used messing up her hair as a way off getting back at her for speaking up about her concerns and 'teaching her a lesson' to prove an unnecessary point and also speaking to me and her in an argumentative way for no reason at all

What do you guys think of the situation, am I letting it get to me too much or is this out of order?
Let me know if its confusing in any areas as it was quite hard to type the situation out

If its upsetting you that much, I would take the tutor aside and explain your concerns and how unprofessional you think it was.
Coloring can be quite a difficult subject sometimes and things can go wrong. Although it sounds to me that your tutor was definitely unprofessional, not to mention embarassing for you and your sister.

Ultimately just like you said, there should have been full stocks of all colors in the tinting room. Also that should be the hairdressing departments technicians job to check the stocks ect. That's if your college has one of course.

Also sounds like the tutor is stressed and couldn't cope with the situation.
Tutors like that should not be teaching in the first place. They should be compassionate towards all students. Especially in delicate situations.

Try not to worry sweetie, and think of it as a lesson learned, because all hairdressers will ultimately have to face awkward situation out in the real world once qualified.
Believe me, your confidence will return and you will bounce back again.

Chin up and carry on. You will feel fine again soon. x

:hug:

If its upsetting you that much, I would take the tutor aside and explain your concerns and how unprofessional you think it was.
Coloring can be quite a difficult subject sometimes and things can go wrong. Although it sounds to me that your tutor was definitely unprofessional, not to mention embarassing for you and your sister.

Ultimately just like you said, there should have been full stocks of all colors in the tinting room. Also that should be the hairdressing departments technicians job to check the stocks ect. That's if your college has one of course.

Also sounds like the tutor is stressed and couldn't cope with the situation.
Tutors like that should not be teaching in the first place. They should be compassionate towards all students. Especially in delicate situations.

Try not to worry sweetie, and think of it as a lesson learned, because all hairdressers will ultimately have to face awkward situation out in the real world once qualified.
Believe me, your confidence will return and you will bounce back again.

Chin up and carry on. You will feel fine again soon. x

:hug:

Thanks for taking the time to read my essay haha

I am going to speak to the head of hairdressing department about it which is my theory tutor that I'm very close to a know something will be done about it

I just feel really knocked down by it because something like this has never happened to me before maybe that's why it's came as quite a shock

They were so unprofessional about it and they were shouting across the salon just because that client was a family member they always treat her differently when she comes in, usually they would pull me to one side if a problem like this happened but they just dealt with it the wrong way just because she was my sister

Thinking of it your probably right about her being stressed and not being able to cope because she's only been our new assessor for about a month, before that she was a senior stylist in the salon.

Also another thing, I had asked how much an ombré would cost including any needs to strip/ re-tone the hair and they said charge as a full head colour because in effect that's what she will be having, also my sister was quoted this over the phone when she booked in, yet when she had to pay they charged her the cost of a semi application on short hair to cover the cost of the bleach cleanse and we both stated that process was included in the quotes yet she was getting no where and was still made to pay. To me this seems like they are taking the payment now while they can to cover the cost of the reapplication she needs to correct it x

Dont feel knocked down by this situation ! . You are not the one in the wrong , as above , its a case of the tutor was stressed and was taking her problems out on you . If it were me i would go over her head as this tutor needs to be told that she behaved inappropriately , but i think it would be better coming from somebody over her head rather than you , as it will probably become heated and you still have to work next to her . Dont let this get you down, we all have little hiccups throughout the day , sounds to me like your going to be a great hairdresser , just keep thinking that ;-) xx

I can appreciate how upsetting the service was for both you and your sister.

To charge more than quoted just because they'd run out of tint is wrong and I do think you should challenge that. Saying that, my college was always low on stock and I learnt very early on how to mix numerous ratio's of tint to get the correct shade. They didn't seem to employ any obvious stock control system.

I think that as you feel you have a good rapport with your dept. head, it is worth raising your concerns.

My feeling is that stress aside, poor salon behaviour is often the result of sloppy managers who are incapable of managing staff. Some managers are terrified of confrontation and so avoid dealing with the situation and bad behaviour just escalates. Shouting across a (training) salon floor is totally unacceptable to my mind. How does this help to instil good salon etiquette in students?

I also agree with the above comments. Lamaur Man's right when he pointed out that you are likely to come across more bad behaviour from tutors, fellow stylists and clients and that is something you'll have to learn to ignore, rise above and not allow others to undermine you. Easier said than done, I know.

Chin up and just keep going until you complete the course. At least you recognise the problems and can look on it as another learning experience ( of how not to do it).

Thanks everyone

I think I've let it get to me more than it should have in regards to knocking my confidence. After being told everything was my fault I argued it wasn't, but feel like they put a doubt in my mind and felt useless, when my sister sends me the during and after pictures you will see what they allowed to happen on purpose!

AcidPerm: I was going to sort the problem by mixing up other colours to create what had ran out of like you mentioned because that's what we usually have to do when this happens, yet they told me straight away when i went down by the stock room to just carry on and they were sorting it out so i didn't have much choice

Thanks for reassuring me it was definitely not my fault! Its been playing on my mind since it happened xx

Don't let it get to you firstly. Grab a coffee and chill out!
From what I have understood from your post your tutor was unprofessional in her job as a tutor, as a stylist and a person.
Somewhere in your training there should be something about how to deal with situations and the correct answer is to take the person in question into a private area out of earshot and have a word although that is the same for any job.
If your tutor had any clue about colouring she would have known that a 5.3 can be made simply using a 4.3 and 6.3 equal parts, 4.3 and 7.3 2/3:1/3 and other ways, and should have tried to mix it up before being lazy using the same colour in another range.

There should be a stock refill system in place, be it a piece of paper to list what had been used or a box where the box top with the number can be put. But both of them are so simple I'm shocked its not in place.

Lastly, tell your sister you will have a different tutor oversee the correction and will be speaking to your head of faculty. It not just the rudeness but she should be encouraging and supportive to you and it seems to me that she is not at all.
Xoxo

Don't let it get to you firstly. Grab a coffee and chill out!
From what I have understood from your post your tutor was unprofessional in her job as a tutor, as a stylist and a person.
Somewhere in your training there should be something about how to deal with situations and the correct answer is to take the person in question into a private area out of earshot and have a word although that is the same for any job.
If your tutor had any clue about colouring she would have known that a 5.3 can be made simply using a 4.3 and 6.3 equal parts, 4.3 and 7.3 2/3:1/3 and other ways, and should have tried to mix it up before being lazy using the same colour in another range.

There should be a stock refill system in place, be it a piece of paper to list what had been used or a box where the box top with the number can be put. But both of them are so simple I'm shocked its not in place.

Lastly, tell your sister you will have a different tutor oversee the correction and will be speaking to your head of faculty. It not just the rudeness but she should be encouraging and supportive to you and it seems to me that she is not at all.
Xoxo

That's exactly my point and the joke of it is they employ someone to take care of the stock!! She makes the orders for everything we need in the salon yet I was the one who got blamed for not making sure their was stock x

Latest posts

Back