What do you love about it?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hello geeks,

This is my first post although, I have been quietly addicted to this fantastic forum for a little while now!

I would be so grateful if any of you could take a moment and tell me what you love about your job. My big question is, what is it that you love about being a nail tech?

I ask because I am on the cusp of taking it up as a profession but still feel slightly unsure. I have 3 young children and want to start working again (part time) but could not go back to what I used to do in my former life before kids.

I did an NSI gel course 5 years ago with this in mind, but had problems with tips coming off, lifting etc and had nowhere to turn and gave up really dissapointed (then had two more babies!). It was so much harder than I had expected and only wish I'd known about this forum back then - I'm in awe of all you ladies out there!

Thanks so much to any of you have time to reply to a would-be nail tech :)

Welcome to SG! :biggrin: That's such a shame you felt like that - Maybe you could do a refresher course with plenty of practice to try and build up your confidence and quality. It would be a shame to give up on the idea - especially as you have already invested it it previously. It is one of the best things I have ever done - I just wish I had come to it sooner (I started when I was 38) and often wish I had these skills when my children were smaller as it is great to fit in with family (I work from a garden studio at home).

You could also do a conversion course to another brand - I trained in gels a few years back and have decided to convert to Brisa by CND as I have an academy 30 miles away from me. I've already done a bit of training there and it is excellent with really good back-up support. You can also have one to one trouble shooting sessions with them!

Hope that helps a bit! x

Thanks for replying Siana - yours sounds like a great place to have nails done!
I would have to re-train for confidence and there are good options for that around here. (I live in the French speaking part of Switzerland). I thought about getting a nail essentials model hand too as I was super slow at doing a full set of tips. After reading loads of posts on here, I can see that it is perfectly normal to have problems at the start, and that it really requires skill. This makes me feel a lot better about what happened to me.

I have loads of enthusiasm to go for it, but as I'm almost 40 and it's a world away from what I used to do I guess it feels a bit alien. I would like to use Brisa as I see on the forum that it's very popular and I can buy it here (unlike NSI).

Thanks again!
Saskia

Latest posts

Back