What do you think about renting your home privately?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holliex

Reaction score
Me and my boyfriend are currently living together in a 1 bedroom flat. (Have been here 3 years) it is with the housing association but we are desperate for a house and a garden!
We are unable to apply for a house with them as in their eyes we don't need one as it's just us 2. (If I were to be expecting a baby then they would offer us one) so our only option is to look for a house to rent privately. Do any of you do this? My boyfriend doesn't mind but I'm unsure, Iv heard bad things about renting privately. One being they only have to give you 3 months notice if they want you to leave. Sometimes you can't decorate or change the house in any way and I think it's going to feel like it's not our own home, your just paying some bloke to live in his house that could kick you out anytime he liked.

Just wondering what your opinions are and if some of you do this!? X

Housing associations can kick you out and only need to give 2 months notice.

In effect you are paying someone elses mortgage if you private rent but needs must and all that.

I wouldn't even think about decorating a private rented house or a HA house. I learnt the hard way. Its not your house so dont waste your time.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

[QUOTE=Nails

I think a housing association house is more like your home. And they can only kick you out if you get complaints about noise etc, selling the properties is very rare. X

Be very hard 2 be kicked out of HA.. Mine i have ripped apart and decorated right through!

We moved back to our home county last summer and are now renting a lovely house. The owners are abroad and not coming back for a long time, unless their circumstances change. We first rented a barn conversion which was beautiful but way out of town. Renting has allowed us to change our minds too! We like the house as it is, but we do rent through an agent, so if anything is wrong we let them know. We've just added another six months agreement.

We know the town better and the areas we would and wouldn't live in. We were also lucky that they let us bring our (large) dog. we have a huge garden, and sheds, all our own furniture. We just wish it was ours!

I've rented privately quite a lot, from being a student, and I've also rented out my own property. For me, it's more of a risk being the landlord!

I've done it all. Lived in a council house, rented privately, bought properties and rented housing association property too.

It's cheaper for housing association properties.
Private rental gives you more choice but also is quite a lot more expensive.
I will now only buy a property abroad as an investment tempt for our sons future.
We've lived abroad and we are sure that we won't be staying in the UK forever.

We moved back to our home county last summer and are now renting a lovely house. The owners are abroad and not coming back for a long time, unless their circumstances change. We first rented a barn conversion which was beautiful but way out of town. Renting has allowed us to change our minds too! We like the house as it is, but we do rent through an agent, so if anything is wrong we let them know. We've just added another six months agreement.

We know the town better and the areas we would and wouldn't live in. We were also lucky that they let us bring our (large) dog. we have a huge garden, and sheds, all our own furniture. We just wish it was ours!

I've rented privately quite a lot, from being a student, and I've also rented out my own property. For me, it's more of a risk being the landlord!

Sounds like you have a good landlord, I suppose it depends who you get.
Your home sounds lovely x

Me and my boyfriend are currently living together in a 1 bedroom flat. (Have been here 3 years) it is with the housing association but we are desperate for a house and a garden!
We are unable to apply for a house with them as in their eyes we don't need one as it's just us 2. (If I were to be expecting a baby then they would offer us one) so our only option is to look for a house to rent privately. Do any of you do this? My boyfriend doesn't mind but I'm unsure, Iv heard bad things about renting privately. One being they only have to give you 3 months notice if they want you to leave. Sometimes you can't decorate or change the house in any way and I think it's going to feel like it's not our own home, your just paying some bloke to live in his house that could kick you out anytime he liked.

Just wondering what your opinions are and if some of you do this!? X

I've always rented- allows us to move around if we want.

Only 3 months??? That's ages!! Generally it's 1or 2 months notice from landlord or 1 from you. Our last house was sold after 3 years, they let us know as a word of warning so we gave notice and move d down the road within 3 weeks.

Move into a nice place, don't spend money on it, most will just say leave it how you left it.

Latest posts

Back