what exactly is MMA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesbica

Reaction score
can n e one here tell me what exactly mma is... my trainer talked about it breifly but i cant remeber a thing about it but then someone was telling me today that there is a big dodgy nail place (that is now turning up in every shopping centre in australia) that their product has mma in it.... aparently it is much cheaper as it is imported from china.... cheap labour....

i know someone that gets her nails there and i wanted to tell her about mma but didnt because i dont know enough about it.... my trainer said something along the lines of if it is used constantly (refills) it can eat into your natural nail.......

Hey there.

MMA is a type of monomer used in making extremly hard types of acrylics (i.e. Bulletproof glass, Bone cement, teeth, etc... ). It should not be used to make nail enhamcements.

Here is some more info-> http://www.thenailgeek.com/showthread.php?t=2698

BTW: It doesnt eat your nail ;)

This is really hard stuff as Sam says, i have seen people who have had nails done using this product and they are usually quite thick and you normally will need an electric file to remove it for infills etc. Unfortunately alot of the places that do this haven't given proper training so when they use an E file they damage the nail plate by literally fileing it away. You only have to touch the nail plate with an e file and you take layers of nail off.

Its horrid stuff so avoid it at all times.

Kybert the ones with the masks ;)

Not always... sometimes generalizations can confuse the issue ;)

Many techs use dust masks to prevent dust inhalation. Masks are inefectual against vapour absorbtion though.

(just thought I would toss my 2 cents in!)

Oh I agree. In fact when people come to me after going to oneof these salons I use a mask and offer them one too!

HOWEVER - I don't feel like being sued today - we don't have freedom of speech in Australia.

They aren't any particular salon Kybert but NSS (non standard salons) who use MMA in their products. Generally they are much cheaper but as above, product is biff and dangerous for your digits.

I guess what I am saying is that the dust from EMA enahncements are just as dangerous (for the most part) as the dust from MMA enahancments becasue dust particles are mank to breathe :)

chocolate was saying with the new nvq, you have to have a disclaimer on your client cards saying you have offered a mask and eye protection.

luckybird21chocolate was saying with the new nvq, you have to have a disclaimer on your client cards saying you have offered a mask and eye protection.
This is what I have been trying to find out about .. any other info please?
Thanks
Jo xx

Sam answered this on another thread as I was asking on there too :)
HTH
Jo xx

For the nail technician; If you wear contact lenses or glasses you should speak to your optometrist regarding prescription safety eye wear that will offer side protection.

And everyone should have extra safety eyewear to offer their clients to protect them in case of accidental splash (though they may not choose to wear them).

The biggest concern lies primarily with the nail technician as their exposure levels are almost 100 times greater than an average client. Contact lenses can collect dust and vapour (dust being the biggest concern as it can scratch the eye). The biggest fear though lies in an accidental splash. If that happens, the contact lens could melt to the eye and create far more damage than if safety glasses were being worn.

Hope this helps ;)

aka Samuel Sweet

The placed is called Professonail... it is run by asians..... and there has been they are known in a couple of the australian nail magazines...

this place also dont use powder french... they take you over to the front desk and air brush it on.... this is the reason for why it is only a 45 min appt.... sounds a bit dodge wouldnt you think.????

I HATE MMA! If you visit my website, you can print off my info sheet telling you loads, and sign the petition if you havent done so PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

ILL GET OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW!

Latest posts

Back