What is it like to booth rent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amanda180

Reaction score
Hi. I am a very proficient hair stylist, but have only been working in the field for about a year. My first job could barely pay the bills and I wasn't getting enough hours (I started at Smart Style) then I got hired at this other salon, where I am working nearly 45 hrs a week and only making 75 dollars more, plus about 40 more in tips (per week). I can pay my bills, but I am having issues at work. Two stylists are very aggressive at taking clients out of turn. One of them is retaliating against me because I want a rotation system. She was outside in the parking lot and there was me and a other stylist (who was with a client) in the salon, no one else. A client came in and I took him, the she came in a few minutes later and said to me that she was calling the district manager on me. I made the mistake of asking her what was wrong and leaving my client and following her to the office to ask her what I did. She said that I took a client out of turn and she was calling to report me. Now the stylists are saying that I am causing the drama and they want to take the rotation system away. They are yelling at me and I am terrified. I love my clients and I like meeting people. But the coworkers are horrendous. It is drama city around there and I must leave. I don't think that I will get fired, because I stay quiet and keep to myself, but I do think that they other stylists want me out and will do whatever they can to make me leave. Could anyone give me some advice. I really like the idea of booth rental and being able to come and go as you please. I have stayed as quiet as a mouse (following the advice of self help books) and the other stylists are targeting me. The business is slowing down and some senior stylists have left. How easy is it to get hired at a booth rental salon if you can really cut hair, color, etc? I am tired of feeling frightened of losing my job. I am tired of working long hours for little pay. I am tired of workplace drama, worrying about others who are trying everything they can to stabotage my job because of my wishes for a rotation system. It is a lot for me to handle. I just don't understand how I can remain quiet and still get messed with. Please tell me about booth rental and if you have any comments on the above situation, I would love to hear your advice or experience. Thank you.

Last edited:
Booth rental is a good way to go, but only if you have the ability to pay the rent (of course) and have somewhat of a client base. You can do it without a clientele, but I would only recommend it in a place you can build one.

You are free to use whatever products you like, set your own hours, and so on. Some salons will provide use of things like towels, shampoo, and conditioner as part of your rent. Since it is your own business, you are responsible for handling all your business finances yourself, maintaining your area of the salon, etc. The salon owner cannot interfere with your clients, or how you work.

Getting a job doing booth rental is generally fairly easy. When I did it, it was basically just a quick chat with the owner discussing the salon, the rent, and deciding upon a start date.

If you think you can manage to pay the rent and would be happy doing it, I say go for it.

Last edited:
Oh you poor thing, that sounds terrible. Hope the booth idea works out

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back