What made you want to be in the hair industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevergivingup

Reaction score
Have you always know this is what you wanted to do?

Nope, not at all. I began waging to be a mua for tv and theatre. S4c wouldn't allow me to go with a friend who worked as a mua for them so I went to a salon that had a beauty therapist who also done makeup, I ended up spending most of my time in the hair side, was asked to start on Saturdays for a job at the end of the last week and accepted. Then began working more ad more days and it all spiralled from there xoxo

I started cutting my own hair at age 11 after my father's Barber would or could not do the creative things I was asking for. It led to cutting/styling friends and family almost immediately... By high school years I was spending weekends doing hair... Although I did not turn my hobby into a career until I was 23 and watched the show Blowout on Bravo network here in the US. That show gave me a different insight into the salon industry... I had never seen Hairstylists who were passionate and respected by their clients. So at 23 I quit my job in my small home town, moved to a larger city and signed up for school. 11 years later my passion for the industry is even stronger than in the beginning. Such an amazing profession to be in!

I started cutting my own hair at age 11 after my father's Barber would or could not do the creative things I was asking for. It led to cutting/styling friends and family almost immediately... By high school years I was spending weekends doing hair... Although I did not turn my hobby into a career until I was 23 and watched the show Blowout on Bravo network here in the US. That show gave me a different insight into the salon industry... I had never seen Hairstylists who were passionate and respected by their clients. So at 23 I quit my job in my small home town, moved to a larger city and signed up for school. 11 years later my passion for the industry is even stronger than in the beginning. Such an amazing profession to be in!

Ooh I like this one :) xoxo

I wanted to be the usual a doctor , nurse or teacher , then aged 13 i got a Saturday job in the local salon and was mesmerized and so intrigued watching the stylists create amazing hair ! ( i tried on myself aged 13 a fringe not a good look had to wear hair clips either side of my head 4 ages it was like a inch long fringe ! )
i gradually worked through school holidays then went to college also i am more a practical person so could not sit and do paperwork all day i don't look at hairdressing as a job because most people seem to hate their jobs lol xx

I only ever wanted to do hair ever since I was tiny, I can't remember ever wanting to do anything else! I also do makeup which I love too. Xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Always wanted to be a hairdresser ever since I can remember my mum taking me to salons I always knew I wanted to be one and I was terrible at school I left with no qualifications and several bad reports due to truancy and the next day I left I got my first job in a salon and was there for 10 years before having my baby so I am now mobile but still work odd days the best thing for me is proving so many people wrong x

I started off thinking I was going to be a doctor! I had a crazy passion for it and was absolutely certain it was what I wanted to do, but when I was 14 I got a job in a salon, and from my first day there I knew hairdressing was my ''true calling'' stayed there for a while before starting college when I left school, I absolutely love hair, nothing makes me happier than when i'm working! I got alot of negative comments from teachers/friends/family saying I was too clever for hairdressing and would end up in a dead end job, well i'm definately proving them all wrong! Its not just about the practical side of it anyway, I mean how many other jobs allow you to make people feel amazing about themselves? That to me is true job satisfaction! I love it and will be hairdressing way past retirement age!! Xxx

I always wanted to be a hairdresser. When I was a baby my dad was a barber and growing up i used to watch my auntie who was a hairdresser and think "I want to do that".

Unfortunately I didn't get a Saturday job in a salon but after school I got an apprenticeship in a town center salon and worked my bum off.

I knew once all my Barbies were bald xx

I remember being tiny, about five, and always going with mum to have her hair done. I was mesmerised watching her stylist work. This was the late 80s early 90s and I remember watching Terrence perm and bleach hl my mums hair. He was so flamboyant and funny and all the girls who worked with him were like madonna! So trendy and exotic!
I left school at 16 and trained in Scotland for a year before moving to Nottingham and then melton. And I work at the same place that first made me go into hairdressing! That flamboyant and funny stylist is now my boss as those exotic creatures my friend!

I remember being tiny, about five, and always going with mum to have her hair done. I was mesmerised watching her stylist work. This was the late 80s early 90s and I remember watching Terrence perm and bleach hl my mums hair. He was so flamboyant and funny and all the girls who worked with him were like madonna! So trendy and exotic!
I left school at 16 and trained in Scotland for a year before moving to Nottingham and then melton. And I work at the same place that first made me go into hairdressing! That flamboyant and funny stylist is now my boss as those exotic creatures my friend!

Aww That's lovely! :) xx

Nope didn't know what I wanted to do and even a year ago didn't know what direction to go in!

After school became a nail tech and make up artists, my mum moved to Nottingham I couldn't get a job so moved and fell in to it (always liked it as my mum was one and wanted to be a colour tech) worked for a 3 different salons loved 2 and the 3rd but me down and doubt my self so much I left and became a services designer for almost 3 years!! After having my son decided I needed to work again and something to fit round my son's school so that's when I went mobile, just cuts to start to see if there was a demand and 6 months later im busy mist days and couldn't be happier!

Aww this ones great too. Got to laugh at the "those exotic creatures are my friends" xoxo

I'd always been interested in hair but never thought of it as a career because my Dad was convinced that I was going to be a top barrister (I don't know where he got that idea from), and he'd of had a fit if i'd announced that I wanted to be a 'mere hairdresser'.
The irony is that I ended up going from one dead end job to another before deciding to go to university at the age of 26.

As a way of making money I naively did one of those crappy 1 day hair extensions courses (you know the type) and set up working mobile. When this didn't quite work out as I had planned (surprise, surprise) I began doing further research into hairdressing and eventually enrolled on my NVQ level 2.

I've also completed my level 2 in Beauty Therapy and work freelance but it's hair that i'm really passionate about and I intend to work as a stylist full-time once i'm qualified.

I quit school at 14 after a few years of going through the motions and feeling really quite depressed.

My brothers wife (gf at the time) worked in a salon and she got me a job working a few hours during the week after I'd done my school work at home.

I loved it, by 15 I was working 4 full days and went full time at 16, qualified as a colour technician 18 months later :)

Starting out young worked well for me and when I started full time and training 'officially' at 16 I was ready to go all guns blazing.

I love my job and the industry as a whole I've will have been qualified as a tech 6 years this January and to celebrate will be put through my paces as I will be starting the wella master colour course in 2013!

I have a creative flair which is present in my work and a strong imagination but can't draw or paint or do anything typically 'arty' so for me hairdressing is an expression of my creativity and that's what I think I love most about it :)

I always loved going for a wash and blow every Saturday from being around 5/6 with my nan, I used to sweep up and talk to every one while nan was drying under the hood! I loved it and every time I got a barbie or girls world I did some errr fantastic styles on them,went on work experience to a salon who really praised me and offered me a Saturday job which I stupidly declined as I already had a job which I ended up in for 2 yr after school always wanting to go to college but I got used to having money and being able to buy clothes and go partyin, untill my college started doing evening courses and I enrolled and qualified and went back to the salon I was at work experience, they couldn't believe it took me that long to do it but now I wouldn't change it for the world I love it and you never stop learning which is some thing I also love 😍😍

I always wanted to be a hairdresser to i use to always cut my sisters hair from the age of ten camt belive she let me like lol but its just something that i would get excited and creative about x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm currently looking into the cosmetology schools in California. I've always been fascinated with hair and make-up; experimented on all my friends A LOT growing up. It just seemed like the next logical step. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back