What makes a "bad" hairdresser?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine Armani

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I hope no one takes this thread offensive.

I always hear my educators use the term "bad hairdresser". I've always been wondering what a bad hairdresser meant to them (hairdressers)

From an experienced and fully qualified hairdressers point of view what would you define as a bad hairdresser?

I know that some hairdressers have some strengths and weaknesses but I'm just wondering what qualities make a good HD and what habits make you a bad one.
(I'm purely asking as I'm trying to be the best that I can)

What I think makes someone a bad HD.

- Bad communication skills (rushes through consultation)

- Fails to educate clients on their hair

- Doesn't listen to clients and does what they want to do

All the above, plus
Fails to understand exactly what they're doing, and uses guesswork.
Takes shortcuts
Doesn't listen
Does things that annoy, such as talk over the client, Chew gum etc.
Doesn't pay attention
Follow 'rules' to the letter, not allowing for variables.
Does half a job.
Poor cutting skills
Set in their ways. Still doing the same 3 cuts that they learnt in 1990
I could go on and on.

No such thing as a "bad hairdresser" since it is all about perception of the client :) in my opinion though, you are only as good as your last client so make sure you treat every client like your career depends on the outcome of their experience

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Someone who doesn't really care! 😱

I've worked with some people who cut hair like a 3 year old with paper scissors but they still run successful columns/ own businesses. Generally because the have the charm.

What about someone with great skills but no charm? Neither are bad hairdressers.

Sounds a bit strange making out they come across 'bad hairdressers' it make me think who are they talking about?? and their job is to improve the skills in the industry!

My staff are always asked our educator 'you must see some shockers' she usually give use a funny story or two.
I like it as it makes my team realise that not every salon is the same and how privileged they are to be about to gained the knowledge they have.

Next time ask them to define a 'bad hairdresser' and just hope they don't offend most of the room!!!

Popping over from the nail forum :) I had what I would call a not-very-good hairdresser a few days ago. Im in Germany atm (from Australia) and had my hair done. I have it very ash blonde so needed the roots done, and this is what I was left with :-( she must have just toned the roots instead of bleaching, then when she washed it out realised nothing happened and slapped some bleach in for 2 minutes!
She was a lovely lady and I don't have the heart to go back to say anything so I'm getting it re-done elsewhere today.
I feel terrible saying it was a bad hairdresser experience, but definitely not the greatest xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403856821.694980.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1403856830.361521.jpg

I once had my hair cut and when she said ' I get so nervous cutting peoples hair cus I have no idea what I am doing' I knew she wasn't a good hairdresser and yes I cried when I got back to work because my short bob was rather wonky

I once had my hair cut and when she said ' I get so nervous cutting peoples hair cus I have no idea what I am doing' I knew she wasn't a good hairdresser and yes I cried when I got back to work because my short bob was rather wonky

And with that I would've thrown my gown off and ran out the door!

Hairdressers who are unwilling to learn because they think they know it all and complacency, mixed with a bit of unproffessionalism and poor customer service. Kiss of death to your column!

2 things from a client point of view. One hairdresser (a very good friend) wouldn't leave my colour on long enough so I always had lighter roots and dark ends! I've got red hair and she didn't seem to know the difference.

Second thing is when you ask for a tiny cm off and they take it upon themselves to tell you you must have more because you have split ends. I don't care that I have split ends I only want a tiny bit off! Also hairdressers that think you won't notice if they take it off anyway because your hair is long. I ALWAYS notice! Lol

So basically hairdressers that don't listen.

I have a fab hairdresser now who knows exactly what I like :)

Definitely stylists that don't listen and bosses that put u under too much pressure - ie 45 mins full head highlights long thick hair , 30 min cut and blow dry - customer wants curly blow dry! This frustrates me so much as a stylist as I want to give my client 110% and I can't 😔

Popping over from the nail forum :) I had what I would call a not-very-good hairdresser a few days ago. Im in Germany atm (from Australia) and had my hair done. I have it very ash blonde so needed the roots done, and this is what I was left with :-( she must have just toned the roots instead of bleaching, then when she washed it out realised nothing happened and slapped some bleach in for 2 minutes!
She was a lovely lady and I don't have the heart to go back to say anything so I'm getting it re-done elsewhere today.
I feel terrible saying it was a bad hairdresser experience, but definitely not the greatest xx View attachment 68944View attachment 68945

Gosh that is awful I would have definitely gone back hope your colour is better now x

Gosh that is awful I would have definitely gone back hope your colour is better now x

Thank you :) went elsewhere today and she was a fab hairdresser! Xx

Someone once gave me a rod Stewart mullet. I just asked for some shorter layers. I'd say she was a pretty bad hairdresser.

Omg!

Before I started college my parents treated me to get my hair done I had dyed black hair and wanted it stripping to around a 4, I had around 3'' re growth, the woman didn't bother to strip and put on a reddy brown!! You can imagine the results, she then attempted to cut the black out, (after I requested a tiny trim) my past shoulder length hair was cut into a short bob with my shortest layer 4'' long, I was young and devastated and too scared to speak out and left the shop in hysterics!! That is what I would call a bad hairdresser! 5 years later I'm still growing the layers out and still terrified at getting my hair cut!! X

I'm new to the industry but I think a bad hairdresser is someone who doesn't follow the very basics then doesn't understand or makes excuses why a colour (for example) has gone wrong or lacks in professionalism.

I had a discussion today with a senior stylist who told me he was told when training, u can teach someone the basics but u can't teach someone to be a hairdresser, ie knowing ur client, using different techniques and sectioning patterns to fit that client, customer service etc so they can accommodate any type of client.

My boss was also saying the other day that he worked with a stylist quite a few years ago, that person wasn't the greatest hairdresser at all but had a wicked personality and so their column was always full.

So I guess it depends on the type of salon and type of clientele, u win some u lose some, can't please everyone?

Danielle Trainee Hairdresser 😘

Latest posts

Back