What makes you happy in your job?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautician12345

Reaction score
Hi there all, I am soon going to advertise for staff for my new beauty salon and would like my staff to be happy, as happy staff stay longer and I believe a high turnover of staff to be the worst flaw in any business.

These are the sort of things I'm considering:

hours/holidays/perks/bonus/commission/career progression/recognition

So my question to you is...

What 3 things would motivate you to work hard and stay loyal to the business?

Good communication between everyone, decent wage, low cost treatments for free 

Good communication between everyone, decent wage, low cost treatments for free 

Flexibility in hours. If I had to leave early one day, being able to make up the time later. (within reason of course, giving plenty of notice and as long it's feasible).

Being thanked and appreciated for my hard work or bringing in new clients.

Being treated fairly and equal to the other employees in terms of perks and pay.

I agree happy staff stay longer.

It's one of my main aims with my salon. I give all treatments for free except microdermabrasion (we pay skin base £12.50 every time we use it). If we're not busy and all cleaning is done then the staff can do treatments on each other. I pay a basic wage plus and hourly bonus the more they work the more they get paid.

I am treating all 4 of us to a spa day in December as a Xmas treat, plus the usual meal. I've paid for train tickets for us to go to the beauty show in London on a couple of weeks.

My current therapists are great, both extremely hard working, and lovely.

Being treated with respect in general. Being paid properly and on time, product training. Good communication regarding hours that need to be worked.

Notably though, different people are motivated by different things.

3 things that would motivate me to work really hard:

- Respect
- A decent wage
- Nice working environment
(that would include no bitchiness among the staff,
being able to have my lunch in the salon - I worked in one where we had to go out for lunch breaks and ended up having lunch on a bench somewhere, have treatments done on each other when quiet or after work )

When I was a manager my staff liked that I was approachable, fair, honest. They loved that I would still help out with cleaning etc and I would do competitions like sell the most retail/treatments win a voucher for a clothes shop/make up or if they done really good then to finish early on a sat.

Having my opinion respected, being involved (within reason obviously) in decision making processes and good communication. Staff are a bit like children I think (and I'm talking from an employee perspective as I've never been an employer), they like to know their boundaries and they like to know who's boss.

A happy client :)

Things being kept new, upto date including training so not having the opportunity to get complacent and being kept excited and motivated as this is an exciting industry!!
🌸 good luck.xx

Being appreciated (nothing worse than working hard and it going unnoticed).
Flexibility, if I needed to go early I could make up the time elsewhere. Having an approachable manager is so important but not crossing the line where if you need to be stern, they will listen and respect you. Good luck with it all :p

Training. Maybe something like for every month they are with you, you will put £10 in the training pot?

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek

Honest compliments on my contribution.
A fun, (but still professional), working environment.
A sense of being involved.

I've concentrated on things which don't cost money, but mean a lot.

maslow_hierarchy_sm.gif

It is what it is - what people need to keep them motivated :) Generally we all have the bottom 2 layers so work on the next 2 up. Making staff feel at home in their work place and as if they belong. Give them their own sense of responsability and recognition of achievement :D

On another note, always say please and thank you when asking them to do stuff. I can't abide managers who think they don't need to say please or thank you!

Latest posts

Back