What shall I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Top Tottie

Reaction score
Hi geeky geeks

I am in dilemma:irked:…I am not sure where to start.. I am not very good at English as its not my first language so don’t laugh at my grammatical spellings and mistake..lol!!

Ok here it goes…. Hope I wont bore you stupid…:zzz:

I work in social services, I work at a professional level and earn a decent wage and I’ve worked really hard to get where I am. Of course now after six long years, I absolutely hate it.. Too demanding, too stressful, not being valued.. basically its s5ite!:mad: I decided I want to make a career out of beauty therapy as I am a beauty junkie so I undertook NVQ Level 2 part time in evenings, couldn’t do level 3 because no part time courses available in my area (Grrrr!!) Been searching for level 3, part time evenings courses in my colleges within Essex area and guess what ?? none!!!:confused:

Never mind… I am going off the track here..:eek:

I have been working mobile/homebased part time evenings (Thurs – Fri.) and Saturday all day since March.. I am knackered but enjoying it. Know it is really important to get a clientele (I love it, meet people from all walks of life) Now I really want to give up the social services.. I’m becoming very demotivated with it and constantly thinking about beauty therapy. I have been advertising in local paper, magazine but to no avail so rely on word of mouth. I think its because I am deaf so I cant take calls and this can be off putting. Nonetheless i refused to let it deter me so I do leave answering message (from my well spoken friend) that I can receive emails and text messages… it didn’t work! When I did spray tanning course, wow increased my clientele massively which means it lead to other treatments… so I work on Thursday and Friday from 5pm to 9pm..Whilst I am not moaning, the money is not enough to support myself and my mortgage plus I live on my own. Sometimes the clients come to me to get away from things at home as less distractions so I cant rent my 2nd room out!! :!:

The problem is should I cut down my hours in social services, say every Friday (as I find them most popular to for client to have treatments) so I will be available and just hope I will be busy or…..My 1st job is paying for everything from beauty courses to mortgage and electricity bills.
I am wondering whether i should wait till I increase my clientele or becoming inundated with clients (i wish!) I cant fit them since that I would have to give up social services altogether. lol... I know life is all about taking risk but I don’t want to be stupid that I cant afford my mortgage. Cos I really love my wee home. :)

I cant rely on my boyfriend or family to support me, I think I am old enough to support myself and I want to do it by myself…. what shall I do?

I thank you for your time.

Blasted bloody weather, raining (pi**ing me off) roll on summer, I say!

Tolly xx

Last edited by a moderator:
you have worked really hard to get where you are....i think your idea of cutting down your fri to do beauty is a brill idea....everyone is busy thurs .fri.and sat cos thats when people are going out for the weekend.....so those days for doing beauty are fab hun..xxx

I would stick with your social service job for the min and still carry on with your beauty,You havnt been going that long and still are building up your clientell, the best advertising is word of mouth.
Good luck.

Well done on what you've achieved so far.

Can I suggest that you think about how many regular clients you would need to meet your needs without relying on your "day job" and then work out a plan for getting that many clients. It seems to make the day job easier if you know that there is a plan for getting out of it.

It's also much less stressful to have a steady source of income while you're starting your business - I've done it both ways and although it takes a little longer if you're moonlighting I'd recommend it.

I've developed an automatic marketing system that will help you increase customer loyalty and get more repeat bookings - it works by email so being deaf won't be a problem with that. Send me an email to [email protected] if you'd like me to set you up with a complimentary system.

Cheers

Pete

Latest posts

Back