What to do with my client's toenails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellebelle

Reaction score
Hi geeks I had a client in today that I usually do finger nails. She wanted toes doing as well but I didn't have time. This was lucky as when she showed me her toesi was quite shocked and probably wouldn't have been able to treat her anyway.

Basically her big toes only grow half way up the nail bed then stop and they don't look good. She said when she was a young teenager she had chronic in grown toe nails so had both big toe nails removed. One grew back fine the other has always been deformed. She showed a chiropodist and they recommend she have a false toe nail applied to cover it (basically no treatment can be done) as well as having a false nail applied to this toe she also had one applied to the other toe nail so they matched. Since having a false nail on this side this now also refused to grow past half way on the bed. She has since always had false nails applied to them (but not by me) she regulary applies tea tree oil as she said if she doesn't the nails go dark :eek:

Basically I think originally she's had some trauma to them to start this off but also could they be infected with fungus? I would love to help her grow lovely big toe nails but not sure if this is possible? I wish I had a picture but thought it was rude to ask!! Perhaps a drs visit? She wants me to work on them but I've said no for now

Any advice appreciated xx

It doesn't sound to me as if she will ever be able to grow her toenails to the correct length again. No amount of cuticle oil or anything will make any difference in my opinion.

It is difficult to say without knowing exactly what the chiropodist did as part of the ingrowing nail treatment. But it seems as if this could be the intention of the treatment, to stop the nail growing to the point where it begins to cause pain. So if the chiropodist said she'll need false toenails nails then that seems to be the reason why.

Tea tree oil used as a topical application for fungal nail conditions is a hotly disputed treatment method. Some 'foot people' absolutely swear by its effectiveness, other 'foot people' say there is no evidence at all that it works. Commonly a nail would go 'dark' because it has been injured therefore blood under the nail, or it often goes a coffee colour because of the fungal infection, so in general she is either really clumsy :) or has a fungal infection. (Obviously difficult without seeing it)

IMPORTANT: If your clients have a suspected fungal infection needs to be seen and assessed by a 'foot person' who will then offer the appropriate advice. It is also important not to get the neat tea tree oil onto the surrounding nail walls to avoid any irritation of the skin.

I suppose on the bright side her other 4 nails on each foot could be made to look beautiful to match her false nail?

Hope this helps.

Elaine x

Thank you for you reply

I think I'm going to refer her to GP , I don't want to do anything until I'm absolutely sure it's ok to work on. I'm just baffled why one was damaged and one was fine and then the one that was fine became damaged after using a false nail on it, unless a possible infection has transfered and caused damaged and it was nothing to do with a tip at all. I guess it's one of those things that maybe doesn't have an answer. I think she is putting neat tea tree oil on and fairly regularly :eek: If she doesn't it turns dark so that is what is swaying me towards an infection of some sort. I think the tea tree is doing enough to stop this but not dealing with the problem entirely.

Thanks again

E x

Thinkingout loud here, it's just wrong that she feels she has to use tea tree oil on them so much to keep them healthy, it's one thing having dodgy toes nails that don't grow, but to have toe nails that are like that surely must set alarm bells enough for her to be given treatment?,

The general rule of thumb (certainly where I live in West Oxfordshire) is that a fungal infection is a cosmetic problem and not a medical one worth prescribing tablets for.

(I have a number of elderly insulin-dependent diabetic clients with toenails that are crumbling away with fungal infections and they are not being prescribed anything from the GP)

Her other option is over the counter topical methods but require daily or weekly application for at least 12 months. In my opinion if the tea tree works, then she should stick with that, its a darn sight cheaper than over the counter products.

Latest posts

Back