What to say to a client about nails pinging off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellybun

Reaction score
Hi, I've just started offering acrylics so need a bit of advice on what to say to 1 of my clients. I done a full set of acrylics last Saturday she wanted them a bit thicker due to dealing with horses & being a rider. She has just messaged me now saying all her nails have fallen off they have pinged clean off, how should I deal with this situation as I did have a feeling them might not last with her lifestyle & she normally goes to a nss said I was the first English person she's used

Just to update I messaged her & asked her If she would like to pop over tomorrow & let me have a look & what did she do when they was pinging off. Her response was they just pinged off when I picked up or touched anything & ill probably go to a nail bar or something. I feel a little disheartened that it was maybe my fault but part of me thinks she might have done something as she won't let me look at them & would rather go somewhere else.

What's your routine like?
Take us through the steps...
Do you think they were adhered properly in the first place?

By the way it had this happen when I first started if think we all did!

I've done 2 sets before & only 1 person lost 2 my mum had a set on for 3 weeks before having them removed & never lost any :/ & she was potting plants, gardening etc.

My routine is shape, push cuticles backs, etch nails, scrub fresh, apply tips, bonder then acrylic.

Have I done the right thing by asking her to come back or should I message her again & tell her I will replace them if she wants?

You definitely need to see them before you offer anything. Although due to her not being keen to let you see I suspect that she has pulled and picked and wants to go back to her NSS nails. Don't be down in the dumps, most people would be happy to show you what has happened, but really every single one has pinged off, I wouldn't buy it.

I would advise to practice on some more people before taking on clients. Applying them "thicker" isn't necessarily going to make them stronger.
I think with maybe a little more experience,you will see other little "problems" that we've all come across,and have learned to deal with,so then when it happens to a paying client,you'll have the confidence to know what to do/say.
I think I did about 20 sets for family & friends before I started charging a basic fee to cover product costs. Every persons nails are different and I learned something new every time I did a new set.
As for what happened your client,it is very hard to say, but it does sound like they didn't bond to the nail plate properly. Did you use a bonder? Were the tips sized correctly? Could be a number of things?!
As you said, you've only done a few sets, so don't be so hard on yourself!
Best of luck! :)

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

I wouldn't message again, you can't repair or replace anything you haven't seen. The offer is there if she chooses not to accept it that's up to her. You have tried to fix it.

In terms if why they may have pinged off? if they come off whole it's unlikely they were ever adhered properly at all.

Do you remove the non living tissue or do you just push the cuticles back? Are you thoroughly removing shine from every are then dehydrating then priming. Are you sticking the tips correctly and not too far down the nail?
Do you build an apex in the correct place?
Maybe they were too thick with not enough apex therefore no strength?

As others have said practice makes perfect. We all had to start somewhere and clients will come and go.

Part of me thinks maybe I did miss something this time (don't normally) at home & when I was at college everything was set out to use (she was a mobile client) I did feel nervous & under pressure as I'm slower but think she probably does want to go back to her usual nss.

Thanks for all your replies :)

If she's used to the work from an nss salon then it could just be that she doesn't really care much for them, I know from experience that nss nails are harder to take off than anything I've ever come across! If she's being rough with them like she is with the other nails then maybe that's why they've "pinged" off?xx

I've done 2 sets before & only 1 person lost 2 my mum had a set on for 3 weeks before having them removed & never lost any :/ & she was potting plants, gardening etc.

My routine is shape, push cuticles backs, etch nails, scrub fresh, apply tips, bonder then acrylic.

Have I done the right thing by asking her to come back or should I message her again & tell her I will replace them if she wants?

Just because her previous salon didn't have 'english' techs does not mean by default it is an nss salon. Your steps don't say if you removed the cuticle from the nail plate or if you blended and thinned the tips. x

Latest posts

Back