What would encourage you to go in to a bar earlier?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is, whatever they do to encourage a crowd in, another crowd will avoid like the plague - put the footy on, do a quiz, serve meals, music (live or speakers), allow pets, allow kids.... Attract one group, repel another.

What else is around locally? Is there a niche they can fill?

• I used to help a friend run her pub and we did a weekly quiz on a quiet night - to get more people through the door without annoying the regular Fri/Sat night crowds.
  • We did live music one night a week, if it goes down well they could change to an early set on a weekend evening - get people in earlier to catch the music.
  • When the football was on we picked a team besides England and put those games on with a theme - the food served, the music earlier in the run up, the guests beer, anything we could think of! (we picked Italy, because Italian food is easier - pastas, pizzas and ice cream!)
  • Is there an outside seating area? Are kids allowed? Giant garden games like Jenga, Draughts, Snakes and Ladders etc, give kids something to do while supervisors chill.
  • Snacks served from the bar - again, child friendly options etc.
  • Is it a lively area? Do people drive in from a distance? Deals for the designated driver
  • Is it a farming area? Theme/deals at lambing/hay time?
  • Some sort of loyalty scheme style thing - try all the guests ales/wines over the summer, one a week. People who try them all (and get a stamp/sticker per ale tried) enter the draw at the end of the summer
  • Wine tasting evening
  • Beer tasting evening
  • Cider tasting evening
  • Ask regulars to trial the new bar menu/snack menu for a week and vote on what stays

Umm... It was a while ago! I'll have a think for more :) Wish your friend good luck - too many pubs have closed in recent years :(

Wow thanks for all your ideas!

Locally there are several restaurants, pubs that also serve food, and a wine bar that serves food. I have been known to start off in a pub thats abit cheaper then stroll over there about 9.30 as you know you'll be there til 1.30, the later you go the less likely it is you'll find a seat.

Xx

The smoking ban, the competition on alcohol from the likes of the big supermarkets and the amount of people building 'pubs' in their back gardens is phenomenal. I have little interest in going into 'town' these days although probably an age thing. .. my 18 year old loves it but the younger generation are not interested in food, probably the older generation would go into a country pub for food rather than a town pub. ..I'd keep my pub aimed at the younger generation and in town near clubs. . No food, cheap drinks, decent smoking area. .. No quizzes, no karaoke, but some decent live bands and great music. ..

However, I have just re read the thread and noticed it states village....that's my suggestion out.
Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back