What would this be classed as-a facial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robynx

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at what type of prices I'd like to charge my clients when I go mobile, but I don't know what my facial would be classed as.
My routine goes as follows:

Cleanse
Scrub
15min Massage
10min Masque
Toner

While learning at college, they do not offer clients a basic or luxury style Facial and this is the routine I learned.
Would this be just the basic Facial? If so, what could I offer for a luxury Facial?

Many thanks in advance :)

I'm still at college but I do mobile 'case studies'.

I would say that a luxury facial includes a massage. May I suggest the following:

Make-up removed (if necessary)
Pre-cleanse
Cleanse (or double cleanse)
Exfoliate
(I will be offering steam)
Massage
Mask
Serum
Moisturise

I will be considering add-ons hand, foot or scalp massage while mask on

Mine take 1hr

I'm still at college but I do mobile 'case studies'.

I would say that a luxury facial includes a massage. May I suggest the following:

Make-up removed (if necessary)
Pre-cleanse
Cleanse (or double cleanse)
Exfoliate
(I will be offering steam)
Massage
Mask
Serum
Moisturise

I will be considering add-ons hand, foot or scalp massage while mask on

Mine take 1hr

Thanks for your reply :)
I just feel that I don't offer enough to be able to advertise it as a luxury facial but I don't see it as a basic facial... Does that make sense? :rolleyes:
I could take on your advice and add in a pre-cleanse and a moisturise and then I could advertise it as luxury... Hmmm

I wouldn't particularly class that as a facial at all. This is a routine you've been shown at collage?

If possible for you I would offer an express facial and a luxury facial but keep them basic while you're learning.

Express - remove eye/lip make up
Cleanse
Exfoliate
Tone
Mask (maybe exclude this if you want a quick 20min facial)
Moisturise

Luxury
As above but before your mask, do your neck/shoulder/face massage
Mask and then moisturise.

Obviously when you've qualified you can always choose a brand you like and do training with them. Then you can start to add in extraction, facial serums, eye masks/serums, hand and arm/scalp/foot massage ect xx

I wouldn't particularly class that as a facial at all. This is a routine you've been shown at collage?

If possible for you I would offer an express facial and a luxury facial but keep them basic while you're learning.

Express - remove eye/lip make up
Cleanse
Exfoliate
Tone
Mask (maybe exclude this if you want a quick 20min facial)
Moisturise

Luxury
As above but before your mask, do your neck/shoulder/face massage
Mask and then moisturise.

Obviously when you've qualified you can always choose a brand you like and do training with them. Then you can start to add in extraction, facial serums, eye masks/serums, hand and arm/scalp/foot massage ect xx

The routine I learned at college is
Remove make up
Pre-cleanse
Second cleanse
Exfoliant
7min steam or hot towels
Massage
Masque
Toner

I have just modified it to suit me better (I didn't include remove make up as I will ask clients to remove their make up before I arrive at their house) xx

I dont think you can even class it as a basic facial.

For us, basic is-

Remove eye makeup
Double cleanse
Tone
Exfoliate (not scrub...)
Skin analysis
Steam/hot towels
Massage-i dont see how you xan skip this in a facial?!
Mask-scalp massage whilst on so not twiddling thumbs
Tone
Moisturise- I certainly dont think you can class this as making it luxury!!

Its an hour

Luxury would be something like a paraffin mask.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Our mini facial (39 mins) is...
Cleanse x2
Skin analysis
Scrub
Mask + hand and arm massage
Toner
Serum
Moisturise

Luxury facial (1 hour)
Cleanse x2
Skin analysis
Scrub
Scalp, face and neck massage
Mask + hand and arm massage
Toner
Serum, eye gel
Moisturise

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

The routine I learned at college is
Remove make up
Pre-cleanse
Second cleanse
Exfoliant
7min steam or hot towels
Massage
Masque
Toner

I have just modified it to suit me better (I didn't include remove make up as I will ask clients to remove their make up before I arrive at their house) xx

I would never ask a client to take their make up off. This is a part of your facial routine. To me, a facial is eye make up removal, double cleanse, exfoliate, tone, facial massage, mask which is then removed followed by a day cream and an eye cream.

I would reduce this to make it a mini facial. The products you then use can dictate how you can adapt it to your business!

Vicki x

I just can't believe your collage are teaching you to finish a facial with toning?! I know it's very basic what you learn at collage - at least it was when I was learning. I know some collages now train with dermalogica. Just out of curiosity what facial brand are you training with?

Me too ^^ I think thats pretty bad, are you getting taught what each step is for and why etc?

I agree with vicki, I wouldnt ask them too as its part of the service, most people do tend to have minimal to no makeup anyway. And I would still use eye makeup remover and double cleanse anyway whether they had makeup on or not.

Just out of interest, do you sell many of these?

Thank you for all your input, I can see where I am going wrong now...
We use Dermalogica in college and we have not been taught or shown anything to do while the masque is on, we're just told to quietly tidy up our area, get clean water etc while the client relaxes with the masque on and yes we finish with 2/3 sprits of toner...

I haven't sold any of these as I am not mobile yet, I am waiting to qualify so I can get insurance etc

I think the bare minimum for a facial has to be:

Eye make-up removal.
Double cleanse.
Exfoliation.
Massage (even if only 5 mins)
Mask (even if only for 5 mins)
Tone
Moisturiser

The above is achievable in 30 minutes, and this skeletal template can easily be adapted for longer and more targeted responses to a clients needs. I certainly would not expect a client to have to remove her own make-up. As for what I would count as luxury; probably a scalp or hand/arm massage whilst the mask is on, a more active mask, a longer face and shoulder massage, a better exfoliator (maybe something enzyme or AHA based), more targeted and effective products etc etc.

With Decleor we have a variety of 30 minute 'discovery' facials for those short on time, then a whole gamut of facials between 60-90 minutes for those after something more luxurious and targeted.

i cant even remember my college facial routine but as soon as i qualified the spa where i did my apprenticeship sent me away on a 5 day Espa course, 8 years later i still incorporate what i learnt there into my facial routine as college is quite basic

At college we use Dermalogica, I'm just starting to realise how lucky I am to be training with these products.

Our basic 60min facial includes:
• Eye & Lip cleanse
• Pre cleanse
• Skin Analysis
• Second cleanse (with steam)
• Exfoliation (with steam)
• (Extraction if needed)
• Massage
• Mask (with hand&arm massage)
• Toner
• Moisturise

Our Luxury Facial includes paraffin wax
and a longer massage :)
I wouldnt ask a client to remove their own makeup as the cleansing is part of the treatment x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

For my luxury I offer paraffin wax mask instead of skin specific mask and add a scalp massage as well as face neck chest shoulder this Is how I was taught.

Yeah same beckah. Our facial massage incorporates a small amount of shoulder and neck massage too. I feel quite grateful how we're being taught now!

Latest posts

Back