What would you do??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodie_glo

Reaction score
So here's the situation.... (Sorry in advance for the long rambling post!)

i had a client sunday afternoon and when i left my clients house i checked my phone and had a message from my best friend asking what i was up to. i called her back and said i had just finished at my clients and she said as i had all my nail stuff with me could i go round and do her a set of gel overlays on her toes.

so i went round there did her a beautiful set of overlay and her toes and she loved them so much she begged me to do her a set of gel overlays on her fingers to match. as all good friends would probably do i said yes and did them even though it was getting late and i had a very early start the next day! she loved them and couldnt thank me enough. i didnt charge her as shes my best friend - although i know i prob should but she is the only friend i dont charge.

so she has just called me to have a chat and mentioned she stubbed her big toe really hard against the doorframe yesterday and it cracked the gel on her big toe. so she sat and picked the whole lot of her toes. i am livid i have told her the importance of proper removal and yet she has sat and ripped them off!

in this situation would you do them again next time she asks? because im angry with her im tempted next time to say im gonna have to charge you from now on as its a blatent waste of my expensive product and time!

what do you think? how should i handle this situation? what would you do? do you do any treatments for friend free of charge?

Jodie x x

in this situation would you do them again next time she asks? because im angry with her im tempted next time to say im gonna have to charge you from now on as its a blatent waste of my expensive product and time!

what do you think? how should i handle this situation? what would you do? do you do any treatments for friend free of charge?

Oh dear, it is a tricky one. I hate anything like this.
The thing is if your friend had paid to have them done, I very much doubt she would have picked them all off! She probably would have just had the big toe re-done. As she only really had 2 days out of them, and I cant imagine if anyone paid to have their nails done they would pick them off after 2 days.
I do free treatments on my Mum, Sister, best friend (of 22 years), girl who I rent my beauty room from, & our receptionist.
I think I would say, I dont mind doing your treatments but as it costs me money to do them I will charge you half price from now on to cover the costs of my products. As to be honest you really offended me buy picking of your nails 2 days after I spent my time & money doing them, (Or something like that)
Goodluck hun in what you decide to say, keep us posted. x

Oh dear, it is a tricky one. I hate anything like this.
The thing is if your friend had paid to have them done, I very much doubt she would have picked them all off! She probably would have just had the big toe re-done. As she only really had 2 days out of them, and I cant imagine if anyone paid to have their nails done they would pick them off after 2 days.
I do free treatments on my Mum, Sister, best friend (of 22 years), girl who I rent my beauty room from, & our receptionist.
I think I would say, I dont mind doing your treatments but as it costs me money to do them I will charge you half price from now on to cover the costs of my products. As to be honest you really offended me buy picking of your nails 2 days after I spent my time & money doing them, (Or something like that)
Goodluck hun in what you decide to say, keep us posted. x

you have a very good point there if she had paid for them there would be no way she would pick them off! i do the same as you there are only three people who get freebies and that is my mum and sister and my friend who has not so kindly picked off my hard work! the most annoying thing is she should know that if she called me and told me i would replaced the overlay that night on the toe that had cracked! im really good with this sort of thing becausd i wouldnt want to walk around with a nail missing lol.

at the moment she hasnt asked me to do them but i could feel it coming... think she probably picked up that i was slightly cheesed off with her - so she will prob leave it a few days then ask again. when she does im going to take your advise and charge her a discounted price and mention the fact she picked the last set off!

thanks so much for your advice and ill keep ya posted x

Simple--no. She needs to learn to have respect for you and your work. Sorry to be that way with one of your friends, but if she had paid (even a discounted amount), she probably would not have damaged them so badly.

Simple--no. She needs to learn to have respect for you and your work. Sorry to be that way with one of your friends, but if she had paid (even a discounted amount), she probably would not have damaged them so badly.

Your definatly right there! shes been a very good friend for many years so im suprised she would do something like that. shes know how passionate i am about my work and im a perfectionist. i wouldnt dare do the same to any of my tech friends because i know the effort that goes into making beautiful nails! once ive calmed down a bit im going to tell her how offended i am that she did that.

Jodie x

That is so annoying!
My best friend encouraged me through college, and I insisted when she came to me it would be for free, but she said no, she would pay - eventually we came to an arrangement and I give her Best Mates Rates - we are both delighted!

That is so annoying!
My best friend encouraged me through college, and I insisted when she came to me it would be for free, but she said no, she would pay - eventually we came to an arrangement and I give her Best Mates Rates - we are both delighted!

thats a very good agreement. if she respected them i wouldnt mind as she works in a local doctors sugery on reception so i could use her as a bit of free advertisement. but the last thing i need is her sitting picking them off - thats not a good advertisement is it lol. im still a newbie so i need as much support as poss x

I think you need to ask yourself what she does for you. We can all be friends, even best friends but when it comes to talents and skills then things need to be balanced a bit more. If you did her feet and fingers then what is she planning to do for you in return, sit and pick them off?

I may sound harsh but this really bugs me. My work is my work and I charge everyone! My mum has had her nails done a couple of times for free but she doesn't live near me so this is not an issue.

If your friend owned a shop, would you expect to go in and help yourself to goods to the value of what you would have charged for these overlays. Then go home and throw them away and expect more? Don't think so and I am sure she would not be happy for you to do that either.

This is your livelihood, so be a bit more business minded and you will receive more respect from friends in return. People will take advantage, even if they don't mean it that way, it is just human nature! :D

I charge everyone ! Yes I give my family a discounted rate but I still charge them.................lol I have had comments about this in the past but I just tell them that I'm not a charity!!!!

I used to have on like this. Always pulled her nails off in traffic and then expected another full set off me a few days later! I just dont do them anymore. I claim i'm fully booked when she asks!!

The only person who's nail i now do for free is my best friend and hair dresser. We do a service swap, also she gets to tell all her clients about me and how wonderful i am! :D

I think you need to ask yourself what she does for you. We can all be friends, even best friends but when it comes to talents and skills then things need to be balanced a bit more. If you did her feet and fingers then what is she planning to do for you in return, sit and pick them off?

I may sound harsh but this really bugs me. My work is my work and I charge everyone! My mum has had her nails done a couple of times for free but she doesn't live near me so this is not an issue.

If your friend owned a shop, would you expect to go in and help yourself to goods to the value of what you would have charged for these overlays. Then go home and throw them away and expect more? Don't think so and I am sure she would not be happy for you to do that either.

Sorry to hear of your problem It can be very difficult when its friends - I always find it a bit awkward when it comes to the paying time if its someone I know.

I do my best friends and my Mums nails and dont charge them but then they pay me back by helping me out at fetes and childrens parties etc so it all evens itself out in the end. I feel I can ask them to help and don't feel guilty as I know my Mum would help anyway and never say no so in a way its my way of paying her back for all she had done for me too. My friend has also been extremely good being my guinea pig for everything new I want to try and has been a rock to me while training and feeling rubbish when you never think you will get it!!

If your friend is a good friend I think she will understand if you tell her how you feel. She probably doesnt realise what goes into doing a lovely set of nails especially if you have been working all day. I am sure if you explain then she will have a little more respect for them next time. Unless you tell her she may not realise how much it upset you are :D

Sorry to hear of your problem It can be very difficult when its friends - I always find it a bit awkward when it comes to the paying time if its someone I know.

I do my best friends and my Mums nails and dont charge them but then they pay me back by helping me out at fetes and childrens parties etc so it all evens itself out in the end. I feel I can ask them to help and don't feel guilty as I know my Mum would help anyway and never say no so in a way its my way of paying her back for all she had done for me too. My friend has also been extremely good being my guinea pig for everything new I want to try and has been a rock to me while training and feeling rubbish when you never think you will get it!!

If your friend is a good friend I think she will understand if you tell her how you feel. She probably doesnt realise what goes into doing a lovely set of nails especially if you have been working all day. I am sure if you explain then she will have a little more respect for them next time. Unless you tell her she may not realise how much it upset you are :D

thats a very good agreement you have! when i have calmed down prob tomorro i will give her a call and tell her she has offended me by ruining my hard work x

I used to have on like this. Always pulled her nails off in traffic and then expected another full set off me a few days later! I just dont do them anymore. I claim i'm fully booked when she asks!!

The only person who's nail i now do for free is my best friend and hair dresser. We do a service swap, also she gets to tell all her clients about me and how wonderful i am! :D

pulling them off in traffic is very very very harsh! i dont blame you for not doing them anymore! x

Latest posts

Back