What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
As well as moving house this week I'm also moving from home based to renting a space in a salon ,

I did ask about getting keys (as i was going to move my bits in one evening when there was no clients about)
Any way i was told no key until after a trial period then I could have one ,

:-/

So baring in mind I use all my own products right down to my own table and chair I'm a little "!" about leaving my stuff there on trust when I have to earn it ,

So Shuld I clean out my faithful trolley bag , and pack my products and bring them to and from work each day Untill I'm trusted with a key ?

Or what?

I'm a little stumped ,

Or is this how it normally is ? Last time I rented a room in a hairdressers I had a key from the start.

I'd be taking my things to and from work each day it's a bit of a hassle to you but no way would I be leaving all my products there if i didn't have a key! It doesn't seem fair to you, in the past when I've rented I had a key from the beginning too. Have they said how long the trial period is for?

I would not hand out a key to a stranger either, as a salon owner with thousands of pounds worth of stock I would have a lot more to lose than you and you know where my business is I am not likely to do a runner. But does the salon owner know you and where you live ? I would keep a list of your products just in case of theft hopefully unlikely ! But I would not take them home every night unless the above happens.good luck !

I don't have a key to the building I rent in. I have a key to my room but not the front door of the building - this doesn't bother me though as my products are locked within my room and I have the only key :) x

I have been renting in a hairdressing salon for 5 months now and just last week I asked for a key. I did not ask previously for reasons mentioned above - they didn't know me so why should they trust me alone in their salon?

I just leave all my stock and equipment in my room - I can't be bothered to keep trekking it all back and forth, store it at home somewhere and unpack it all the time! If I was worried I'd ask to have a lock on the door. I know if someone's been in my room though!

I don't think it strange that you can't have one until the trial period is over - depending of course how long that lasts! Best thing would be to ask how long before you can have a key, and if it's too long, negotiate.

I don't have a key to the building I rent in. I have a key to my room but not the front door of the building - this doesn't bother me though as my products are locked within my room and I have the only key :) x

this is what I would do...ask to have a lock put on the door to your room. That way you can lock that up each night and not have to worry about waiting for the trial period to end. Win Win :)

she has known me for about a year ...

and its one big room so im having a bit of it not my own room so cant have just a key for one door ,

I dunno , i just feel if im renting then i shuld get one

if i rent a car or a house would i get the garrage or owner to let me in each time ?

hmm...that's a tough one. if she's known you that long you think she'd have a sense of your character by now.

is there a cabinet there, or room for you to bring one in, to lock up your products up at night?

she has known me for about a year ...

and its one big room so im having a bit of it not my own room so cant have just a key for one door ,

I dunno , i just feel if im renting then i shuld get one

if i rent a car or a house would i get the garrage or owner to let me in each time ?

If you was renting a car or a house you would be renting the entire thing for yourself , you are not renting the entire salon just a small area of it. I wouldn't expect a key on the first day to be honest x

I would go with it for now mizzy, but unless you can lock your nail station cupboards then I would dust off the trolley and take your stuff in and out of it as you need and pack it all up to take home at night.
I am sure it will just be a week or so until you get a key.
Possibly she did this with her other staff and did not want to do it differently with you.

Good Luck!

as an owner myself i can see where she's coming from but maybe there a press or cabinet you could lock your stuff in? you couldn't keep bringing your stuff back and forth. too much hassle.

Thanks for all your advice x

I'm going to be renting out space in my salon, already do to a massage therapist which isn't working too well lol, but whoever rents the space doesn't get a key, I'm in when they're in and this instruction has come from the landlord, he said I'm the only one to have keys as I'm ultimately responsible For the place. If it was me I'd be packing my stuff up every night though, better safe than sorry xx

You're not an employee, you are renting space in the salon so you should have a key from day one.

Will your insurance cover your stock in the salon without you having a key, I doubt it.

Latest posts

Back