What would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemmy

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
This may be a long one, but just wanted an outsiders opinion really.

I've worked where I currently work for nearly 6 months now, I enjoy it there and they send me on lots of training which is good, however the pay is not very good.
I have worked in 3 other spas previous to my current job, and I have over 4 years experience in the industry. There are 6 therapists and 2 receptionists at work, and as it stands, I am the most experienced and qualified therapist at work (aside from the manager and team leader). All of the other girls have come straight from college, apart from one of them who worked in a salon previously as a nail technician.
I don't want to sound big headed here, but I also believe I am the most professional when it comes to interacting with clients, keeping things clean, etc.

Anyway I recently went on holiday, before I went away the team leader handed her notice in, and our spa manager is also leaving next week to go on maternity leave for a year.
I came back from my holiday to find out that the manager had advertised the team leader position internally, 3 of the girls at work applied, and 2 out of the 3 were promoted. One was made team leader, the other made shift leader.
I'm annoyed that I wasn't given the opportunity to apply for the position, and I'm also annoyed that these positions were given to these particular girls.
The girl who has been made team leader has worked in one salon previously, and is less experienced, and less qualified than myself. The girl who has been made shift leader is a receptionist with no beauty qualifications or experience.

Maybe I'm being critical because I wish I had the position, but it irritates me that I will be taking orders from people who don't know what they are doing!
I spoke to the manager who said that she had to offer it to someone quickly, however I feel like it is favouritism as the manager gets on very well with these 2 girls.
I've been contacted by another spa who interviewed me previously, and I turned down their job offer, they are offering me a full time position there.

What would you do? Would you stick it out, deal with it and hope something good comes your way? Or would you leave?
I really want to further my career but I'm not sure what's the best way!!

Thank you for reading!!

Hi, in my opinion if you are unhappy there and feeling resentment then it will only grow over time, if you have an opportunity elsewhere then go for it you never know till you try x

Leave.
If you've been offered a new job. Go. Don't look back.

I'm currently experiencing the exact same thing as this but in my office job. If I could leave for another job, I'd leave in a heartbeat.

I agree. You have been offered a job, so go for it.

Good luck!

Why don' t you speak to the owner and say you have been offered another job. You would have preferred to stay with her but as there is now no chance of promotion you have decided to take it.

Stay polite and friendly and don't burn your bridges, tell her you would love the opportunity to come back and interview for a higher position should one become available in the future.

Good luck xx

Jacqui x

I can completely sympathise with you! Look at the qualifications & experience on my profile (8years, 4 level 3's and a degree!) and fair enough I'm a senior therapist but someone who is only level 2 qualified and has only been in beauty 3 years max (this is her first beauty job) was promoted to head therapist over me.
Unfortunately these things happen in spas often (sad I know) but your best looking elsewhere and being happy in your job. I'm the mean time smile and do your job at least then when you leave your not burning bridges.
Keep us all updated on how you get on xx

Another classic example of spa girls looking after their mates.

This sort of immaturity happens in most jobs in my experience but it sounds like you have nothing to lose by looking for another job whether that be a supervisory role or one similar to your current role but in a new job.

Leave, I would

Currently in the process, cv posted out Wednesday night and I've already had 7 employers ask me for interviews so there is always light at the end of the tunnel xx

What do you have 4 level 3's in?
And is the degree beauty therapy related?

I've done level 2 & 3 in beauty and now doing level 2 in hair and make up, I'm also done level 2's on nails and henna. I always want to be training and gaining new skills to be the best!

Anyways, You must have the best cv.

To me it looks like promotions were given while you've been away on purpose - normally everybody should have a chance to apply and process should take a month - two weeks for applications, another two for interviews and shortlisting. This sort of decisions are not taken in hurry.
Leave and don't look back (although don't burn bridges as you never know).
Good luck in your new job :)

Haha aww thanks, I wouldn't say it's the best CV but I took my time doing it.

My level 3's are in beauty therapy, spa therapy, nail services and reflexology & my degree is in spa management. I also try as do as many courses as I can (the list is endless) to keep on top of new treatments but I am definitely a geek at heart and love learning.

You've also got a good variety of qualifications, you would do great mobile offering your services to wedding parties and things!

Xx

Xx

Latest posts

Back